Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sutras

edited January 2010 in Arts & Writings
Can you purchase copies of the original online, I can only ever seem to find quotations on Buddhist websites.

I'd like to have my own copy to read through.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Oh just found them on amazon lol, well I suppose my next question is where do I start. I have read what the buddha taught, the Tibetan book of living and dying and I am currently reading the Dahammapada; so I already have a reasonalble understanding of Buddhism.

But ther are alot of sutras, which one do I read first?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    This book contains selected teachings from various nikayas within the Pali Canon. It's a good, thorough introduction to the most common suttas.

If you're looking for a complete collection to begin with, I would personally suggest the Middle-Length Discourses (Majjhima Nikaya).

You can also find the Pali Canon online. The Mid-Length Discources can be read here. This way you can get an idea of the different collections and print out individual suttas which you find particularly beneficial.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    This book contains selected teachings from various nikayas within the Pali Canon. It's a good, thorough introduction to the most common suttas.

If you're looking for a complete collection to begin with, I would personally suggest the Middle-Length Discourses (Majjhima Nikaya).

You can also find the Pali Canon online. The Mid-Length Discources can be read here. This way you can get an idea of the different collections and print out individual suttas which you find particularly beneficial.

I have the Bhikkhu Bodhi book mentioned. It is very readable and informative. :)

• edited January 2010
    Thanks alot I'm gonna order now.
  • edited January 2010
    Dont forget the Connected Discourses and the Long Discourses as well.
    The Anguttara Nikaya is supposed to be available in the not so distant future as well.
    There are also many translations of Mahayana Sutra's available but I have not seen them in the same quality format as the Pali Nikaya translations that are being done by Wisdom Publications.
    edited January 2010
    In the Mahayana it is worth Googling for online or Amazon copies of the Lotus Sutra, the Heart Sutra, the Avatamsaka Sutra and the Shurangama Sutra.
    (Just those I personally find to be very enlightening. I'm just delving into the last of these, and so far so good. :) )

Amazon is always worth trawling for used copies, as some sellers offer books they do not understand (ahem ;) ) far cheaper than the normal prices.
  • edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    In the Mahayana it is worth Googling for online or Amazon copies of the Lotus Sutra, the Heart Sutra, the Avatamsaka Sutra and the Shurangama Sutra.
    (Just those I personally find to be very enlightening. I'm just delving into the last of these, and so far so good. :) )

Amazon is always worth trawling for used copies, as some sellers offer books they do not understand (ahem ;) ) far cheaper than the normal prices.

Hopefully Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche will be able to get the Kangyur translated for us before to long.
    That project is pretty amazing. here is a link for anyone who wants to know more or help support the effort.
    http://www.khyentsefoundation.org/2009_02_translating_the_words_of_the_buddha_conference.html
    edited January 2010
    Hopefully Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche will be able to get the Kangyur translated for us before to long.
    That project is pretty amazing. here is a link for anyone who wants to know more or help support the effort.
    http://www.khyentsefoundation.org/2009_02_translating_the_words_of_the_buddha_conference.html

Wow. What a huge undertaking.

Wetern Buddhism may prove a little generalised bearing in mind the many varied cultures within the West. However, using English is the obvious choice, and any other cultural differences should not take much effort to iron out.

I wonder what will happen with mantras and dharanis. Will there come a time when they too will also be acceptable in English alone? I have an attachment to the Sanskrit, hopefully not an inappropriate one. It sounds familiar to my ear and somehow resonates beyond the content of the words themselves. Time will tell. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen with mantras and dharanis. Will there come a time when they too will also be acceptable in English alone? I have an attachment to the Sanskrit, hopefully not an inappropriate one. It sounds familiar to my ear and somehow resonates beyond the content of the words themselves. Time will tell. ;)
    I doubt it since the actual sounds themselves hold sacred meaning.
    there may be the possibility of some terma's being discovered in English before too long though.
    edited January 2010
    I doubt it since the actual sounds themselves hold sacred meaning.
    there may be the possibility of some terma's being discovered in English before too long though.

The sacred sound of mantras, associated with seed syllables etc., would make a wonderful online discussion, were it not for the necessity of authentic transmission. Even the sound of OM/AUM/AUMN is so rich in meaning.

It is said that simply hearing some mantras is beneficial, in which case my dogs are very blessed. :)

To be a little more on-topic:

Dharanis and mantras are said to encapsulate the essence of sutras, and certainly repay some study:

I know of few books which I could recommend on such things, but I can recommend Lama Tashi's master Chants as an enormously powerful rendition of some of them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tibetan-Master-Chants-Lama-Tashi/dp/B00030M9Z6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262715388&sr=8-2-catcorr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6CdDNPN0Y