Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where Science and Buddhism Meet

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Today
Don't know if anyone has seen this video:

http://www.vimeo.com/2293696

-bf

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think buddhism is similar to science such as the similarities noted in popular books about quantum physics and so forth. Other things such as saying that science is 'discovering emptiness' are misleading. Science is not versed in the theory of emptiness. They are only discovering emptiness in the same sense that oil drilling companies are discovering emptiness (hey oil is empty of self). Interpreting the electron slit experiments to be 'proof of emptiness' is a little speculative. It is like understanding little red riding hood to be a parable outlining the full buddhist path.

Also science is both a method and also a culture within a social context. Buddhism is forming ties to the scientific community, but it is 'merging' with it no more than it is merging with Disney corporation.
  • edited January 2010
    I saw that, and it spured my interest in quantum theory even more. I posted it on e-sangha, the premier buddhist forum before it went down for some reason, and the large majority said it advocated more a of a hindu standpoint rather than a buddhist, since it mentions that brahmah is the quantum field. It was widely disregarded, as rather than use buddhism, it used a form of monotheism (brahmanism).
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    E-Sangha closed down to it being quite attrocious. It's an interesting video, I only watched the first eight minutes but... thumbs up
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I enjoyed it.
    edited January 2010
    The video or E-Sangha? :-/
    Love & Peace
    Joe :)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The video. I was not a part of e-sangha.
    edited January 2010
    Yes, the video was good :D
  • edited May 2010
    His Holiness said it was because of these reasons that he had been encouraging the discussion between Buddhists and scientists. He expressed his appreciation at the involvement of the experts and scholars in this. I also think Christians do the same thing today. Many Fundies compare atheists to satanists. If "satan" is anything like the Lucifer described above then I guess it's quite a compliment. Christianity has always been opposed to knowledge and reason.
  • edited June 2010
    Can't see the video. :confused: It appears that Thailand has blocked the entire www.vimeo.com domain. Not a very sensitive decision, if you ask me, but I am afraid it's nothing new. A few years ago they blocked youtube.com because of a single clip.

Later perhaps...

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    The observation is extremely good for mankind provided that it is fully understood. Seemed a little technical for some ordinary people. Buddha Sakyamuni meditate under the Bodhi tree to enlighten on unsurpass science, whereas scientist observe through their alaya mind on particle and field. Scientists never listen to Sir Einstein, if they do, most part of the world would be much more lovely place :)
  • edited June 2010
    Double Post - Deleted
  • edited June 2010
    I found the same video on Youtube, so if you cannot access vimeo.com, here are the Youtube links:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj_i7YqDwJA
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmrHMBW36w

The production is done very nicely and the topic is presented in an engaging manner. While I find that some of the conclusions drawn in this video are a bit of a stretch, both from the angle of Buddhism as well as from the angle of science, they are definitely thought-provoking and provide good-starting points for further investigation. The visuals are excellent. Worthwhile watching!

Cheers, Thomas
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    His Holiness............. expressed his appreciation at the involvement of the experts and scholars in this. I also think Christians do the same thing today. .................. Christianity has always been opposed to knowledge and reason.

Why use the thread as yet another misrepresentation of Christianity? And why do it with a contradiction? Either Christians appreciate the input of scientists (which the majority do) or they oppose knowledge and reason (which a few do, too). The whole philosophy of reason arose from the work of Christian theologians at the Reformation and resulted in the rationalist society we see today. Neither Buddhism nor Hinduism took any such interest, leaving their populations bereft of many of the benefits, such as good public health, clean water, social justice, etc.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    The whole philosophy of reason arose from the work of Christian theologians at the Reformation and resulted in the rationalist society we see today.

Yes, eventually, but only after those same theologians suppressed secular education and philosophy that was considered outside of orthodoxy for centuries.
  • edited June 2010
    This looks a little woo-woo to me
    edited June 2010
    woo-woo fire trucks. Excuse my mendomosiry (whatever that is) :crazy:

All the best
    NickiD