Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When you just take yourself too seriously.

cazcaz VeteranUnited Kingdom Veteran
edited January 2010 in General Banter
Thought id make this my first thread.

As to why ive started this i think its very relevant to these little corners of the internet when buddhists take themselves way to seriously and end up becoming pompous windbags incapable of relating to human experience, i should know i feel ive been one of them LOL.

Another good example is when you meet people you disagree with on the internet E-SANGHA was a amusing watering hole where giant dharmic ego's met to duke it out who's version of self salvation was better less superstious or more dogmatic :lol: Its easy to become wrapped up in self cherishing when we cling to our views as supremly precious everyone has their own brand of dharma should we not rejoice instead of throwing a tantrum? or meet criticism with love and compassion instead of taking it as a personal insult ? My all time favourite one has to be the angry buddhist syndrome it makes me wonder why these forums even bother using this emocon :mad: it just encourages it.

If we take ourselves less seriously its a better atmosphere for everyone newbies especially who have in the past been taking aback by such sheer arrogence of certain people ( my self included ) or the pontifications without logic or reason, far from the attitudes of love and compassion you would expect to meet with on a buddhist forum.

No self no problem. :lol:

Comments

• edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    How seriously can one take oneself if there is no self?
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Good post.

Self-cherishing also pops up as paranoia on forums. Once we believe someone has an 'agenda' we may interpret their every post as an attack.

I'm guilty as charged on all of the above, and probably some more we haven't mentioned yet! ;)

As they say, bring all blame into one. All blame for such actions ends up with the one issue - our self-cherishing delusions.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Max H wrote: »
    How seriously can one take oneself if there is no self?

Tell that to ignorance :lol:
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Good post.

Self-cherishing also pops up as paranoia on forums. Once we believe someone has an 'agenda' we may interpret their every post as an attack.

I'm guilty as charged on all of the above, and probably some more we haven't mentioned yet! ;)

As they say, bring all blame into one. All blame for such actions ends up with the one issue - our self-cherishing delusions.

Oh yes cant forget the agenda people the internet conspiritors :o
    The shadows are out to get them LOL.
    Its funny how most of the time we neglect to train in patience when confronted with difficult situations its even more laughable we have problems doing this on the internet ! :lol:
  • edited January 2010
    Very insightful caz. I'm guilty of all of the above, too. It's so easy to slip and fall back asleep without noticing.
    Beautiful words :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2010
    This is a really interesting post. As a newbie to Buddhism and here that gives me good fodder for meditation. I'm finding at this point in time (having a prolonged condition), I get irritable at the drop of a hat and focus on "me" being occupied/happy/busy etc.

- Raven
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I never take myself seriously, and any suggestion that I might ever have done will invoke some pretty severe repercussions, let me tell you. The thought that I might ever have taken myself seriously is completely abhorrent, and I completely refute any such accusation. The insolence of it!

(Yes, that was a joke.):rolleyes:

:D
    edited January 2010
    Marmalade wrote: »
    Very insightful caz. I'm guilty of all of the above, too. It's so easy to slip and fall back asleep without noticing.

Beautiful words :)

Very true dear, we forget on the internet :o
    edited January 2010
    This is a really interesting post. As a newbie to Buddhism and here that gives me good fodder for meditation. I'm finding at this point in time (having a prolonged condition), I get irritable at the drop of a hat and focus on "me" being occupied/happy/busy etc.

- Raven

Ah thats the thing isnt it if you continually focus on me being upset you always will be upset this is just pandering to self grasping delusion, if you have a prolonged condition i find its always helpfull to use your daily struggles with life as practise, a very good one indeed is using your own illness to help other if you are familiar with taking mediation this is very good for such circumstance take the suffering of others onto yourself mentally and you will find that self grasping just begin to eb away :)
    edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I never take myself seriously, and any suggestion that I might ever have done will invoke some pretty severe repercussions, let me tell you. The thought that I might ever have taken myself seriously is completely abhorrent, and I completely refute any such accusation. The insolence of it!

(Yes, that was a joke.):rolleyes:

:D

Oh dear ! :eek:

:smilec:
  • edited January 2010
    I agree strongly with this. I, or should I say, this person,this being, this entity, this current mind (???) has real issues with people (especially my husband) criticise by mind and body's behaviour,attitude and performance. But instead of taking on board their comments and seeing them as an opportunity to grow and be a better being, I deflect the comments and make the commenters feel bad for saying it, thus making myself feel better!

Ah i really have much work to do retraining my mind, allowing the regular paths my brain uses when reacting to certain things to grow over, and to create new and more positive paths.
    edited January 2010
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    I agree strongly with this. I, or should I say, this person,this being, this entity, this current mind (???) has real issues with people (especially my husband) criticise by mind and body's behaviour,attitude and performance. But instead of taking on board their comments and seeing them as an opportunity to grow and be a better being, I deflect the comments and make the commenters feel bad for saying it, thus making myself feel better!

Ah i really have much work to do retraining my mind, allowing the regular paths my brain uses when reacting to certain things to grow over, and to create new and more positive paths.

:D A good start is better then none at all !!!
  • edited January 2010
    I suppose what I think is what I am and in a way I'm a complete slave to my own thoughts.

...people enjoy having answers, even when they're obvious; because people enjoy chattering like it's an extra bodily function. Why else?

My current philosophy is to just 'poo and go', if the need arises. yes, often: 'oh no! I did a whoopsie!'. Failing that I can always go straight to task manager and >end process<
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Great thread! Thanks, Caz.

This is the really juicy stuff of true practice, isn't it? It's the nitty gritty, dirty, uncomfortable work.

And talk about being guilty of it! You wouldn't believe how self-cherishing and self-important I have been in the past and how much work I have to do regarding it.

I had huge problems with self-importance when I was a child. I remember when I was a very little child, I'm talking 2 or 3 years old, I couldn't stand to be teased by my older siblings. I took myself so seriously that I'd go into a rage or cry. Seriously.

And it went hand in hand with my major issues of shame. I felt ashamed all the time about everything. Embarrassed and ashamed of just being human. When I made a mistake, even a tiny one, it cut through me like a knife. Now granted, my father was a very violent man and he was big, over 6 feet, and would hit or beat us for the slightest things, even things we didn't do and at the back of my mind I was always afraid of being killed or that my mother or siblings might be killed. So maybe I equated mistakes with my fear of the violent response I would get. I don't know. But I definitely know that for me, it was the shame that exacerbated my normal childhood egoist sense of self. It was the shame that twisted it into a huge, brittle, fragile sense self-importance.

Wow! Sorry. That was inappropriately heavy for the thread, wasn't it? :o:lol:
    edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Great thread! Thanks, Caz.

This is the really juicy stuff of true practice, isn't it? It's the nitty gritty, dirty, uncomfortable work.

And talk about being guilty of it! You wouldn't believe how self-cherishing and self-important I have been in the past and how much work I have to do regarding it.

I had huge problems with self-importance when I was a child. I remember when I was a very little child, I'm talking 2 or 3 years old, I couldn't stand to be teased by my older siblings. I took myself so seriously that I'd go into a rage or cry. Seriously.

And it went hand in hand with my major issues of shame. I felt ashamed all the time about everything. Embarrassed and ashamed of just being human. When I made a mistake, even a tiny one, it cut through me like a knife. Now granted, my father was a very violent man and he was big, over 6 feet, and would hit or beat us for the slightest things, even things we didn't do and at the back of my mind I was always afraid of being killed or that my mother or siblings might be killed. So maybe I equated mistakes with my fear of the violent response I would get. I don't know. But I definitely know that for me, it was the shame that exacerbated my normal childhood egoist sense of self. It was the shame that twisted it into a huge, brittle, fragile sense self-importance.

Wow! Sorry. That was inappropriately heavy for the thread, wasn't it? :o:lol:

No it was rather good getting down to the causes :o
    My egotistical responses often arose from impure view, viewing others as the enemy, then i realized this was stupidity and caused only suffering so i changed it. :p
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yes, it was only when I truly saw how my self-cherishing and self-importance was causing me to suffer so deeply that I started to change it. And it was Buddhism that taught me where to look in the first place. I'll forever be grateful to the Buddha for that one alone not to mention all the other ways his teachings are helping me and those around me.

I also just wanted to add that it was such a monumental relief to find out how unimportant I actually am and the teaching of not-self has been a saviour to me in so many ways. This thing I was trying to so hard to protect doesn't even exist! How absolutely wonderful!! That's the best thing I've ever learned in my whole life. I'm free!! Lol!!
    edited January 2010
    Yes, it was only when I truly saw how my self-cherishing and self-importance was causing me to suffer so deeply that I started to change it. And it was Buddhism that taught me where to look in the first place. I'll forever be grateful to the Buddha for that one alone not to mention all the other ways his teachings are helping me and those around me.

I also just wanted to add that it was such a monumental relief to find out how unimportant I actually am and the teaching of not-self has been a saviour to me in so many ways. This thing I was trying to so hard to protect doesn't even exist! How absolutely wonderful!! That's the best thing I've ever learned in my whole life. I'm free!! Lol!!

Dance !!! :lol:
  • edited January 2010

Yes! Exactly! Finding out that I'm the not the cause/center of the universe lifted a weight off of me. I feel lighter!

"On this day, countless lives were born and just as many lives will fade away.It will be the same tomorrow, and the day after that over and over again. Your life is just one amoungst the multitude."

I wish I could get that as a bumpersticker...
    edited January 2010
    Yes! Exactly! Finding out that I'm the not the cause/center of the universe lifted a weight off of me. I feel lighter!

"On this day, countless lives were born and just as many lives will fade away.It will be the same tomorrow, and the day after that over and over again. Your life is just one amoungst the multitude."

I wish I could get that as a bumpersticker...

Bit to long for a bumper sticker dont you think Marmalade ? Suffice to say i think shit happens encaptures the buddhist spirit perfectly :o
  • edited January 2010
    Bit to long for a bumper sticker dont you think Marmalade ? Suffice to say i think shit happens encaptures the buddhist spirit perfectly :o

LOL :lol:

You're right, never use 7 words when 4 will do.
    edited January 2010
    LOL :lol:

You're right, never use 7 words when 4 will do.

Aye aye !
  • edited January 2010
    seriousnesss ah yes seriousness what an awful crime
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010

I'm a gentler soul. I prefer:

HIT ME AND DIE!!

LOL :)
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    I'm a gentler soul. I prefer:

HIT ME AND DIE!!

LOL :)

:lol:

Sounds fun !!!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Fede,
    You're taking the post way too seriously!

Sorry, I had to say it. Thanks for allowing me the giggle! :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for that reminder people. There are times I will lie in bed and try to pinpoint "me". I should do it more often. The first time I did it, I cried hysterically for a few moments. I woke my partner up and said "I DON'T EXIST" in tears. Yes, I'm a drama queen what can I say? That's as far as I've been able to take it. I shall go to another part of the forum and bring up the rest.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I love Buddhist sites where people cling to and defend something as petty as an opinion and leave themselves completely unopen to learning anything new.

I have never met HHDL - but it seems like everytime I see or hear him speak or answer questions, the "humbleness" just oozes out of him. It seems like he has no problem laughing off the fact that he doesn't have the answer to something instead of making crap up to bloat his own self-image.

Although most of my posts speak otherwise to what I'm about to say but, I do believe it is a good idea to just keep yer yap shut sometimes. Whether it's because you have nothing beneficial to say OR you're better off NOT mouthing off something that you ~truly~ haven't had the time to think about.

Like I always say, "A closed mouth gathers no knuckles."

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    BF,

I must agree. Many times I type out a post and think "What rubbish"! And delete it. Luckily I type fast but say too much and then it won't post. Then I reread it and realize I've said nothing of any value or help. I know the sound of my voice and it's not all that interesting.