Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

zen monasteries in the USA?

edited April 2010 in Philosophy
Does anyone know if there are any Zen monasteries in the USA that will let people come and stay at them to learn, experience the monastic life and such that do not charge money, but instead expect you to work or something like that? I would really like to do such a thing after this semester of college but am finding nothing.

I have some experience in the Theravada tradition, but the "popular" manifestation of that put me off - since the Theravadans made it pretty clear they thought of the Buddha like a god, whether that was really Theravada or not (which I know, it is not, but I'd rather not argue with people that assume because of their ethnicity they're already experts), and I am really now finding the Japanese traditions more fitting for me now that I have started appreciating Buddhism again.

peace!

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2010
    There's a small one not far from my house; some of them work in the temple, and a couple laypeople live there. I don't know what they're arrangements are; one is studying to ordain, the other simply living there for the time being.

The short answer is yes, you just need to seek them out :)
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer
    edited February 2010
    Jase wrote: »
    I have some experience in the Theravada tradition, but the "popular" manifestation of that put me off - since the Theravadans made it pretty clear they thought of the Buddha like a god, whether that was really Theravada or not (which I know, it is not, but I'd rather not argue with people that assume because of their ethnicity they're already experts), and I am really now finding the Japanese traditions more fitting for me now that I have started appreciating Buddhism again.

Speaking from experience, it's easy to assume another ethnic group's understanding of Buddhism is wrong, while your's is right. It wasn't until I married someone from a Buddhist country that I learned to question my own culture-centric assumptions and find a kind of mutual understanding.

You'll find Japanese Buddhism not a whole lot different, even Zen, if you go to Japan and study Buddhism there. Westerners like to find the "pure Buddhism" but having been there, done that, it's just another interpretation brought about by culture.

Let me summarize: there's nothing necessarily wrong with Buddhism as you've experience, so turn the eye of wisdom inward and explore your reaction to it and why. You might be surprised by the results. :)

That said, devotional Buddhism on the surface looks backwards and primitive, but having explored this path from time to time, there's multiple layers at work, and every has progressed on that path to some degree or another. Today's superstitious disciple could be tomorrow's Bodhisattva. :)

I wrote a piece on this very subject recently in fact. Hope you enjoy.
  • edited February 2010
    http://www.upaya.org/programs/being-at-upaya.php

http://www.sfzc.org/tassajara/display.asp?catid=4,29

If I could go, I would definitely do work-study at one of the following places. Their not Zen but there are Zen centers very nearby and the locations are beautiful. I mean central California coast - Redwoods, Pacific Ocean Beaches warm, ummmmm!

http://landofmedicinebuddha.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=341&Itemid=623

http://www.vajrapani.org/Site/workstudy.htm
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Mt Baldy has the famous Rinzai Master, Joshu Sasaki Roshi
  • edited March 2010
    There is a Zen Monastery called Shasta Abbey in Mt. Shasta, California. I have been there several times myself, it's a wonderful place. They don't charge money, they go by the "dana" system of voluntary giving. I hope to visit this monastery again myself this fall. They always have visitors there; some stay for a few days, some for a few months. They also do retreats. There is a community of good-hearted monks there, perhaps 25 in all, male and female. The abbey has been around since the 1970s, and it is the founding monastery of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, which now has abbeys and cloisters in many places. It is the Soto Zen tradition. Google for it and you can get all the info. Good luck!
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks everyone. Mt Shasta looks nice. All the good looking monasteries are out west and I'm way out east! Which would not be a problem except you need to get to know a place and visit it a few times before you could become a postulant.
  • edited March 2010
    Magnolia Zen Center
    Mary Ester, FL.

Near Pensacola

Contact Information

For more information on the Zaltho Foundation and Claude AnShin Thomas, please contact Wiebke KenShin Andersen
    Phone (978) 369-4342
    Fax (978) 263-9051
    E-mail: kenshin@zaltho.org

http://www.zaltho.org/about/mzc.html
  • edited April 2010
    Jase wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any Zen monasteries in the USA that will let people come and stay at them to learn, experience the monastic life and such that do not charge money, but instead expect you to work or something like that? I would really like to do such a thing after this semester of college but am finding nothing.

peace!

buddhanet.net they have a world wide buddhist directory , that site should help you with your search .