Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about the Hymn of Creation from the Rg Veda

edited January 2010 in Philosophy
I'm taking a philosophy class and we're studying the beginnings of Hinduism and Buddhism and how they were based off of the Indian scripts known as Vedas. The Veda we are focusing on is the Rg Veda and in particular right now, the Hymn of Creation. If anyone is familiar with this passage could you explain to me what the script means when it talks about the "One"? It is mentioned a couple times in context such as "Desire entered the One in the beginning." This makes me believe that the One is a deity of sorts, however I theorized that the One could also be a metaphor for Brahman. The passage also talks about the sages, and I don't have the slightest inkling on who the sages might be. Any help would be great!

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi Karpo,

The Buddha accepted some of the ideas that were current in late Vedic India, but he didn't base his teachings on the Vedas. Buddhism has no creation myth. In fact the Buddha warned against the sort of speculation that you're doing right now.

Good luck with your class. I hope it goes well. :-)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Try a hindu forum, buddhists dont tend to speculate on the whole creation shabang. :)