Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dry Buddhist time?

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Many of you may think "Dry Buddhist?". It's my way of saying that I'm not practicing to the best of my ability. Though most of Buddhism I agree with philosophically, many know I still take an agnostic approach to it. I've been going through more than I care to go into, but let's say that my own anger at life has taken over. The straw that broke the camel's back was that I was turned down for Social Security Disability. I paid into it, I can't work, but was told I don't qualify. Will be reapplying but since I was also turned down for Public Assistance, not sure what to think. Some may say I'm burning off bad karma, I'm not sure on that one. Not having worked and no income for 13 months has been quite difficult.

The love of my life said to me the other day "I know you haven't been practicing Buddhism like you used to. You were calmer and kinder then and I miss that so much for you. You were happy." What a wake up call! Following two very wise people's advice on this site, starting tomorrow a.m., it's back to basics. I miss it myself and not sure what has stopped me from getting back to things. I've been trying, but not been able to get the habit going. It's something I will have to do for me eventually, but my partner's statement hit me between the eyes. His pointing out the amount of anger I have been expressing has been distressing. Not for him, but he sees it eating me up. I'm worth more thank you. Just will have to look at it in the mythological sense of fighting Mara instead of some other person or institution.

Trying to practice hoensty in "all of my affairs" and wanted others that may be going through something similar that you are not alone. Will take this one day at a time. This may turn into a blog of sorts. Say what ever you want, but this is more for me. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jer, you may already know this but it is standard to be denied. Next step is to get a lawyer. They only may charge you out of what you are AWARDED and there are laws about how much they may take. Laws to protect you from exploitation. Open up the yellow pages..

As far as coming back to practicing I agree with that too. Its very worthwhile to practice regardless of if you win or lose the case.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Jer, you may already know this but it is standard to be denied. Next step is to get a lawyer. They only may charge you out of what you are AWARDED and there are laws about how much they may take. Laws to protect you from exploitation. Open up the yellow pages..

As far as coming back to practicing I agree with that too. Its very worthwhile to practice regardless of if you win or lose the case.

Jeff,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am taking the practice back up for my mental/emotional health. Having had 3 hospitalizations in 6 months was hard physically but tougher mentally being a registered nurse and not being able to do what I love. I may have to let it go, but what the practice gives me is mine to keep as long as I keep it up.

Yes, I'm calling a lawyer!

Jerry
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Well, I meditated for 20 minutes on Monday and 20 minutes today. Monday was tougher as the pain in my back was at it's worst in a while. I laid flat on my back in bed and still did it! Today I was able to do so in a chair. I'm not worried about positions at this point. One thing I remember is what one does with their mind, not so much their body.

My goal right now is to be able to follow 5 breaths without losing concentration. Since my partner and new therapist are encouraging me in this, it sure does help. Plan on doing the Metta Bhavana before I go to sleep so it will be the last thing on my mind before I go to bed.

One thing I am not doing is reading anything at this point. For those who know me, I totally get into reading about stuff, but I just need to keep things simple. The practice is for me. And for anyone reading this, your practice is for you!
  • edited January 2010
    Sending you empathy. Been through similar stuff lately. I am new here, but I like to think of this BB as a sangha of sorts. We support each other in our practice.

Be well.
  • edited January 2010
    The practice is for me. And for anyone reading this, your practice is for you!

My practice is also for you. If I cannot see through the pain and the discomfort and the mental anguish that comes with sitting/life, then how could I hope for someone in your condition to be able to do the same?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    True, but for now I'm keeping things basic. Without going into too much, I need to do this for me. Part of the human condition is selfishness. As one who spends a lot of time putting others before myself, right now I need to do it for me. I am in a unique position as a nurse, since when I work I see others suffering regularly. Thanks for the input.

Note: If you have to take any medication that might make you sleepy, meditating while laying in bed may not be a good idea. Got through 4 parts of the Metta Bhavana then fell asleep. The Good part is that I got one of the best nights sleep I got in a while.

SherabDorje,
    May you be well
    May you be happy
    May you be free from suffering

The best thing I can say right now.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Zenone,
    Some further thought, how does one stay motivated in the early stages if it is not for themselves? Yes, eventually one should grow that they are doing it for more than themselves. That is one of the lessons of the Metta Bhavana to me You have to get out of yourself and do it for others but one is looking for the benefits out of some selfish motives. Right now where I'm at, I don't think it's a bad thing. In fact, it was my therapist who encouraged me to do it no matter what my motive was. I'm open to learning and changing my mind when it's time, but for right now, selfishness will do.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It is perfectly all right to practice for yourself if that's all you're capable of at the moment. Guilt belongs to some other religion... ;)

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Guilt belongs to some other religion...

True.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    It is perfectly all right to practice for yourself if that's all you're capable of at the moment. Guilt belongs to some other religion... ;)

Palzang

Pally,
    You are so right. I still struggle with it and work at it daily. Look for a PM from me in the next day or two, if I may.

01/13/10

Today's meditation went well! 30 minutes total with a mix of MOB and MB! Not sure how long on each but just glad that I was able to keep to 5 breaths more than not. Due to my physical limitations I have to sit in a straight back chair. It prevents pain for me and enables me to sit longer. Take this if you can use it, but please follow the advice of experienced meditators.

I can't wait to get back to using the meditation chair I purchased which I loved and could afford back then (Zen by Design). Just hurts too much now. All my other meditation supplies (zafus, zabutons) I've given to a local sangha. I no longer attend so I hope someone is getting some use out of them. If not, then maybe one day someone will.

That is today's update. Feel good inside for doing this!
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited January 2010
    To back up what Jeffrey said: with Social Security you can pretty much count on being denied your first time at least. Go straight down to your SSA office and tell them you want to appeal. You may be denied again. If so appeal again. Basically they want you to give up. Keep filling the appeals until you are awarded your SSDI or you run out of appeals. I believe you are given a total of five appeals, the final three of which are before a judge. The judges are more prone to actually consider your case and your medical condition than the case workers (or "pencil pushing peons with no medical knowledge" as my doctor so politely put it) are. It may take awhile, it could take a long while to be honest. And it can be extremely frustrating, I know firsthand. When you do eventually win your case you'll be awarded backpay dating retroactive to the month you first filed. And yeah, get in touch with a social security lawyer. There are attorneys who dedicate themselves solely to social security cases. Anyone worth their salt will not ask for any money until you win your case. When that happens the usual fee is around 10% of your backpay. If you ultimate lose they will not ask for anything (as basically they failed in their job). Good luck to you.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear wrote: »
    with a mix of MOB and MB! Not sure how long on each but just glad that I was able to keep to 5 breaths more than not.

Hi Jerry, I'm a n00b to Buddhism and meditation! I'm just wondering what MOB and MB is, and what is the 5 breaths thing about? (MB = Mindful Breathing?)

I could be asking a massive question here, I don't know, and I'm more than capable of googling, so please don't spend ages with a enormous reply (unless you want to).

Regards,

Tosh
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    MOB-Mindfulness of Breathing
    MB-Metta Bhavana (Lovingkindness Cultivation)

Long enough?
  • edited January 2010
    in my humble way i have been through 'mini droughts' dry buddhist times. its like you drift away from it and find yourself cut odd from your balance...last time i came back felt like coming home. Good luck with it friend.
  • edited January 2010
    by the way i always dug your guitar man...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    To back up what Jeffrey said: with Social Security you can pretty much count on being denied your first time at least. Go straight down to your SSA office and tell them you want to appeal. You may be denied again. If so appeal again. Basically they want you to give up. Keep filling the appeals until you are awarded your SSDI or you run out of appeals. I believe you are given a total of five appeals, the final three of which are before a judge. The judges are more prone to actually consider your case and your medical condition than the case workers (or "pencil pushing peons with no medical knowledge" as my doctor so politely put it) are. It may take awhile, it could take a long while to be honest. And it can be extremely frustrating, I know firsthand. When you do eventually win your case you'll be awarded backpay dating retroactive to the month you first filed. And yeah, get in touch with a social security lawyer. There are attorneys who dedicate themselves solely to social security cases. Anyone worth their salt will not ask for any money until you win your case. When that happens the usual fee is around 10% of your backpay. If you ultimate lose they will not ask for anything (as basically they failed in their job). Good luck to you.
    Yup! That's how it works. Even here in Canada. And even though I got injured on the job due to faulty equipment. I still had to keep reapplying.

The basic insurance paradigm is three refusals to separate the wheat from the chaff. Most people give up after being refused once or twice so you have to hang in there until you're finally in the tenacious group that won't give up. That's when the insurance company, or governmental agency, or what have you, gives in. You just have to be one of the last ones standing, so to speak. Just know that it's their job to keep turning you down. As long as you keep turning up as a file on their desk you'll eventually get the help you need.

Just keep hanging in there, Jer. Everything will be alright.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I hate waiting in their office. Can't hear the intercom too good over wailing babes and coughing. Also a good place to get sick. (end of complaining)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    1/15/10

Today's meditation went well. I found myself almost enjoying it for a few moments. Near the end, I quit counting the breaths and just watched them quietly. I do the Metta Bhavana first as my negative feelings toward someone can be quite a hindrance for me. Really trying to get some clarity about someone I'm having a hard time with. Not sure whether I should say "Good luck, see you around" or try to have some kind of friendship with them. Still waiting to develop some more lovingkindness toward the person and develop it toward myself as that is part of this equation. Bottom line, I meditated again for me and boy I'm glad I did!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Good, good, good!!

Keep going, Jerry! Turn it into a habit. In fact, take any bad habit you have now and turn it into the habit of sitting meditation.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Saw a Lawyer today for the first appeal (2nd application). Was glad to hear the lawyer doesn't get all that much since due to intermittent confusion, I need help with filling things out. So, if it takes a whole year, it will be over 2 years back pay I will be owed which will be a pretty penny minus what the lawyer gets which wasn't as much as I thought.

There's a reason that meditation is called a practice. Nothing exciting today except that I did it for the 5th day in a row for the period of time that I decided on. Nothing terribly long, but incorporated what I wanted to. I'm satisfied with that. I know that it will do good in the end since someone told me he saw the difference when I did. I'd forgotten how I felt afterwards. So I'm going to continue and see what happens.
    Brigid wrote: »
    Yup! That's how it works. Even here in Canada. And even though I got injured on the job due to faulty equipment. I still had to keep reapplying.

The basic insurance paradigm is three refusals to separate the wheat from the chaff. Most people give up after being refused once or twice so you have to hang in there until you're finally in the tenacious group that won't give up. That's when the insurance company, or governmental agency, or what have you, gives in. You just have to be one of the last ones standing, so to speak. Just know that it's their job to keep turning you down. As long as you keep turning up as a file on their desk you'll eventually get the help you need.

Just keep hanging in there, Jer. Everything will be alright.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Almost forgot, on 12/22/09, I celebrated 5 years SMOKE FREE & NICOTINE FREE! When I first started to meditate, I still smoked. I don't miss it a bit. The idea of meditating again was to get some of my anger under control, but then I thought that developing lovingkindness was better in the long run. I may never be able to be a bedside nurse again, but lovingkindness will do wherever I end up.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    1/17/10

Isn't interesting how the monkey mind goes wild when you least expect it. For me, I thought the practice was going well and then right upside the head and I could think of everything all at once. I returned to the breath and completed the time I set, but sometimes it can be distracting. For those of you who are new to meditation, this is quite normal. It just takes practice and discipline and it gets easier. It never completely goes away, but your attitude changes. Having computer problems so this might be my last post about my practice for a few days (or anything else for that matter).

May you all be well
    May you all be happy
    May you all be free from suffering
  • edited January 2010
    Jerbear wrote: »
    1/17/10

Isn't interesting how the monkey mind goes wild when you least expect it. For me, I thought the practice was going well and then right upside the head and I could think of everything all at once. I returned to the breath and completed the time I set, but sometimes it can be distracting. For those of you who are new to meditation, this is quite normal. It just takes practice and discipline and it gets easier. It never completely goes away, but your attitude changes. Having computer problems so this might be my last post about my practice for a few days (or anything else for that matter).

May you all be well
    May you all be happy
    May you all be free from suffering

When your computer comes back up just to let you know reading your journey is helping with mine...
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I really didn't want to say anything over the weekend that would be repetetive, so I was reading a few articles and seeing what I could use for my practice. I'm reading Jon-Kabbat Zinn's "Full Catastrophe Living". I meant to read this years ago before I took a break from practicing. It is a program used at the Massachussettes Stress Clinic. I was reading about attitudes to develop with your practice. All applied to me, but one that I thought to use during meditation was Acceptance and Letting Go. When I breathe in I "accept" the breath, and on exhalation one must "let go" of the breath. Can you imagine not accepting a breath? The interthoracic (chest and lung) pressures wouldn't allow it as the same with holding your breath. You have to let the air out ("go") in order to take another breath. This is but a start. I also am trying not to judge my thoughts and just let them go when meditating at this point. In trying this, I meditated for 30 minutes without realizing I had done so.

I also picked up an issue of Tricycle magazine. Read a cool article by Pema Chodron. Need to reread it to make sure I got it.

So happy meditating to all, and remember all you have is this moment. If you meditate today, you might do it tomorrow. That's how I put together over 20years of sobriety. I'm trying to see if it will work with meditation also.