Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

VISIONS

edited January 2010 in Philosophy
i've read anumber of times about experiencing spontaneous visions and visualizations or what have you of flowers, stars, pretty colors etc while in some sort of meditative trance. i think i've seen rainbow colored lights before when meditating, and another time i saw gems or rubies or marbles arranged in a constellation like stars, though that came when i was drugged by being asleep, though it was still different from the usual dream experience. what does everyone know about these sort of things and have you experienced them before, vividly?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Its called Makyo. ....a distraction from practice.
  • edited January 2010
    but what is the meaning of them?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I read in Surya Das book Awakening to the Sacred about a practice of sending heart energy through the crown chakra and visualizing it. I tried it and couldn't do it.

Then I was asleep for the night and woke up and spontaneously did the practice. I saw a huge kind of like one of those prisms that makes rainbows that you can hang. In my minds eye only it was made of green light. I didn't really have a feeling of my crown chakra, dunno what that would feel like, but I did have a good feeling.

It left me wondering about the mysteries and I also felt a connection to that book from then on.
  • edited January 2010
    Cool I have just posted a piece on a crystal from a lama surya das book then read what you guys have put about gems prisms etc spooky
  • edited January 2010

It means you were distracted.

The mind can conjure up all kinds of images. Most of the time it's not anything special or significant. When it happens again, just note it and bring your attention back to your breath.
  • edited January 2010
    It could also be of value to practice in this case as the Buddha mentions the universe is like a net or many faceted gems. Could any one provide us with the actual words of the teaching please
    peace
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi, Pietro.

As you continue to pursue your practice you'll notice things like this coming up once in a while. But as Richard said these things are just distractions from practice. It's important not to start chasing them and attaching or attributing meaning to them because there's no way to know, at this stage at least, if they do possess meaning of any kind. They usually don't. They're usually just another form of mental chatter or clutter.

The human mind is incredibly convoluted and complex and all sorts of visual, aural, and touch sensations are going to come and go as you deepen your meditation practice. Don't start thinking that these things are magical or even meaningful. Just let them arise and fall away like all 'thinking'. It's far too easy to get caught up in this fruitless search for meaning. It's simply a time waster and a distraction from the important work you're doing so let them go and get back to the meditation work. You don't have enough time to dilly dally. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Here is one I found about the net of jewels hopefully this will spur on your meditation
    As the morning approached, Siddhartha contemplated the vast network of cause and effect itself. He saw how all beings were intimately connected to one another in this vast network of mutual influence and creation. Like a vast net of jewels reflecting each others' light and beauty he saw how all beings arose as part of an unending process of mutual creation. He also saw how ignorance of the true nature of reality was the cause of all the selfish craving which led to suffering, and he saw that this suffering could be ended through a life based upon the truth, the Wonderful Dharma.
    edited January 2010
    Relative and conditional.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yes I think that its no reason to fear if you have these experiences. So long as you understand that they are fleeting. Relative and conditional. You might
    have insights about what they mean, but such would just be relevant to your environment, which is constantly changing.

So have confidence in the sensitivity that sees the connections rather than in the visions themselves.
  • edited January 2010
    Scientists have just begun to scratch the surface of the relationship between the brain and the mind. There is a school of thought that we even have access to a mind outside of our bodies. No conduit has been described other than the conjecture that it is some type of transfer of energy. Meditation practitioners brains are said to be far more physiologically receptive to these "thoughts".

Whether that is what you are experiencing is not currently knowable and as others have said should be noticed but not held onto during meditation. Neuroscientists are discovering some pretty amazing quantifiable things regarding the physical impact of meditation.
  • edited January 2010
    Visionary experiences do have a place in certain practices, mostly in the final stages of Dzogchen. For the most part the advice given is excellent. Dont fixate on them or have hope or fear of the visions returning.
  • edited January 2010
    Don't take any notice of experiences when you're practising, they're just a distraction which most people get at some stage.

When I've told my Tibetan Buddhist teachers about various experiences I've had they've just listened, and then said to let them go and not to become attached at all - - and to keep practising.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It's important to give them as much notice as to every other aspect of experience. Casting them out of awareness would be just as problematic as reifying them.
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    It's important to give them as much notice as to every other aspect of experience. Casting them out of awareness would be just as problematic as reifying them.

He asked what the meaning is in the context of doing practice. In that context their meaning is relative and conditional, that is what they are, that is what they mean. Do you sit in meditation pondering the symbolic content of your visions?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    No, I was responding to Dazzle's statement, which could be misunderstood as recommending some form of suppression.
  • edited January 2010
    i was just curious about the phenomenon, not really fixing any attachment to them or anything, but thanks for the replies.
  • edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    No, I was responding to Dazzle's statement, which could be misunderstood as recommending some form of suppression.

No, that's not what I was recommending! Letting go and not becoming attached isn't suppressing anything. One just notices experiences if they come, and then one gently lets them go again and brings the attention back with the breath, without becoming fixated or trying to analyse them.