Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm confused

edited January 2010 in Philosophy
I've been a Buddhist for some time now, and I have learned as much as possible about it as I can, though only through books, as my town lacks any sort of temple. Thus, I came here for answers to my questions.

There has been something that has been bothering me for a little while, and I must have an answer. It concerns karma, fate, and reincarnation. I live a rather fine life, and though there is more I wish to do with my life, I am happy. However, I have recently realized that there really are many people out there living terrible lives.

What could have possibly happened so that I live a happy life, but others suffer so much? I can't think as to what happened in previous lives that would punish people so much today, and why what happens in a previous life would affect a future life.

I know that suffering and pleasure aren't eternal, but still I cannot keep from asking these questions. Why does a previous life affect a future one, why do we not get clean slates after death?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What could have possibly happened so that I live a happy life, but others suffer so much? I can't think as to what happened in previous lives that would punish people so much today, and why what happens in a previous life would affect a future life.

I know that suffering and pleasure aren't eternal, but still I cannot keep from asking these questions. Why does a previous life affect a future one, why do we not get clean slates after death?

My approach to these questions is to observe karma as it operates in this life, and leave post-mortem questions as imponderable, as the Buddha recommended. It's proved quite effective.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I've ever heard "punishment" used with the word "karma".

Pardon the hackneyed analogy, but if I put my hand on a wood stove and my finger gets burned, and I am not being punished but suffering the natural consequences of an action.

Think of karma as an imprint, a habit. And different imprints draw different experiences. We all act out of ignorance, and this ignorance sets imprints that draw undesirable results. Use your awareness of the suffering of others to generate compassion, and to fuel your desire to obtain enlightenment so you can help them.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Nature & nurture.

:)
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks everyone, my questions have been answered.