Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Conquest of the 4th Hindrance

edited January 2010 in Philosophy
Hey guys,

Recently I have been learning about the 5 hindrances. I've started to recognise them in my meditation and I've had some success dealing with them using the antidotes as described on:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel026.html#rest

I've found it very useful to deal with Ill-will through Metta meditation and using the Development of Empathetic Joy for dealing with Sloth and Torpor. Most of the time I am not having a big problem with sensual desire or with doubt. One thing I am stuck on is:

4.Restlessness and anxiety.

I've had limited success "practicing contentment" but its really a difficult one for me. If I sit down and I am stressed I find it very hard to let go, often I am making to do lists as I meditate. Sometimes I am not stressed, but just kind of hyperactive and while I'm sitting down all I can think about is how much I want to get up!

So far at these times I've found it best to walk away rather than get frustrated, but really I would like to learn to better overcome this hindrance.

In particular can anyone give me expand on these ideas below?

These things, too, are helpful in conquering restlessness and remorse:
  1. Rapture, of the factors of absorption (jhananga);
  2. Concentration, of the spiritual faculties (indriya);
  3. Tranquillity, concentration and equanimity, of the factors of enlightenment (bojjhanga).
When the mind is restless it is not the proper time for cultivating the following factors of enlightenment: investigation of the doctrine, energy and rapture, because an agitated mind can hardly be quietened by them.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    There was a lot of restlessness in my practice last night, too. I found cultivation of joy helpful, for what it's worth.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi :)

I wish to recommend concentration training, like counting breaths, etc. to focus and stabilize the mind.

I liked to play the game of counting - in out one, in out two; as I breathed and did that til I lost count, then started over at - in out one... I did this until I could count up to 500 breaths without missing count.

I also liked to imagine this training as like house breaking a puppy - to the paper, oops they're off the paper - back to the paper, etc.

The trick is to do it with a lot of humor and compassion for yourself. It can't be accomplished with a tight mind; so just relax and play with it, it'll come all by itself with joyous effort! :)

Shalom and Hugs
  • edited January 2010
    Hey guys thanks for your advice.

My problem I think is a bit more physical. I CAN count the breaths, but I feel like I don't want to! Sometimes I do have the problem of losing concentration but thats something I am learning to deal with in other ways and I'm sure its a normal part of practice. This problem is different though and I only seem to get it sometimes, its like I'm forcing against something in myself that really doesn't want to sit down and stay still. Do you know what I mean?

I'm actually going to a Yoga class next week as I hope the physical movement will help to keep this restless part of my physical being busy!
  • edited January 2010
    Hi j,

I've heard it said that the commonly ignorant, distracted mind really fights against transformation. It's like the mind, as it currently is, is terrified of dying. I imagine this as like being in a comfort zone of suffering; we kinda understand that the way we're meeting life now leads us to suffering but this way of being is known. So, when we start applying ourselves to consciously changing, the mind rebels. Reading 'to keep this restless part of my physical being busy!' I feel a little concerned because I wish you well and happy. Will you please consider not engaging in keeping any aspect of yourself 'busy'. I imagine keeping mind or body "busy" as reinforcing distraction, which is just what the rebelling mind wants. As long as we cave-in to the overwhelming urge to be busy we surrender ourselves into slavery to the ignorant mind and the habit energies that bring suffering.

I imagine the training needed as like holding a squirming child who wants to go and do something naughty. They may say NO, NO, NO!, cry, scream, bite, etc. but the responsible adult, who knows what's best, must just embrace the child tenderly with great compassion and love and courageously, patiently, wait for the child's behavior and hopefully their thinking to change. This process may take some time of repeatedly holding the child until the child begins to accept a new way of being. If we try to coerce the child, use force, or give-in an let the child have their way we never accomplish the change we know is in the best interest of the child.

It sounds to me like you're experiencing something that's very common to training. Certainly Yoga (I'm assuming you're referring to Hatha Yoga) is a good way to condition the body for flexibility and strength along with improving the ability to relax and gain more awareness of your body's characteristics. It will not substitute for doing the training necessary for truly settling the body/mind and accomplishing 'calm abiding'; especially if the intention is to be 'busy.' As a matter of fact I've heard "yoga" referred to as meaning 'yoking with the divine' and doing Hatha Yoga postures as one aspect of yoga that simply conditions one to be able to engage in the meditative training - that I read you're struggling with.

Dear, you can't avoid what you'r experiencing. You just have to work through it, gently, with joyous effort and a lot of humor.

Good Luck

Shalom and Hugs
  • edited January 2010
    Brother Bob, thanks for the great advice!!!

It is a Hatha Yoga class I'm going to next week, though I am also looking into an Ashtanga yoga class as it looks more active... I'll bear your advice in mind while I'm trying them both out.

Thanks again.