Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question

edited January 2010 in Philosophy
Can anyone shed any light on somthing for me?
what it is is a really interesting video on you tube called ( the quantum appocolipse)
I have found it very usefull but one thing does not ring true
there is a part where a guru with a White beard says trying to seek the infinate with the sense organs is like trying to fly to the moon in
a bullacock (not sure what a bullacock is but it
sounds futile anyway) all I have learnt points to the fact you can get enlightened in this lifetime in fact I just read( the six senses left in their natural state compose the outlook of the natural great perfection.)
any help greatfully received
thankyou

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I'm so silly sorry as being lazy in meditation I don't spend any time in a more subtle nature of mind and hence I have not gone beyond sense organs must stop wasteing time.!!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The sense organs are a great place to start.

I don't really know what that guru type was trying to say, but perhaps he was pointing to renouncing attachment to sensory experience, rather than looking for some kind of enlightenment experience within the senses.
  • edited January 2010
    Beyond sense organs?????
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think he was probably trying to say that you can only attain enlightenment through meditation - when the senses are put on the back burner (so to speak).
  • edited January 2010
    Danny boy wrote: »
    Beyond sense organs?????
    human sense organs only provide impure, limited perception.
    Our eyes are incapable of seeing the true nature of reality, therefore it is useless for us to attempt to define the absolute truth of appearances through what our eyes show us. The same is true for all of our other senses. The only way to "experience" the truth is to go beyond the impure perceptions of the physical senses and ordinary mind (Tib. sem) and experience directly ones true nature.
    that video has a lot of common themes of quantum mechanics and some famous scientists in it. the ideas are good and interesting but the new agey presentation is unfortunate although the final bit with the great Bill Hicks was a nice touch.
  • edited January 2010
    The six senses left in their natural state
    compose the outlook of the natural great perfection.

How does that work if you can't see hear etc true nature
    is it that they all arise from and do not differ from emptiness or am I barking up the wrong tree?? Maybe you are talking of a much more subtle state, deathless? True enlightenment I probably just confused after studying dhamma all day and not meditateing
  • edited January 2010

How does that work if you can't see hear etc true nature
    is it that they all arise from and do not differ from emptiness or am I barking up the wrong tree?? Maybe you are talking of a much more subtle state, deathless? True enlightenment I probably just confused after studying dhamma all day and not meditateing
    Who are you quoting when you say the "six senses left in their natural state compose the outlook of the natural great perfection"?
    knowing who says this will help.
    the natural state of the senses is emptiness. the natural state is effortless.
    there is no contrived effort to perceive the truth through the senses.
    The idea of resting in the natural state is about the primordial purity and spontaneous presence of phenomena and ones true nature, this experience is beyond the senses and ordinary mind.
  • edited January 2010
    The quote was by longchenpa it read
    Danny boy
    Seeker
    Everything is in the state of primordial buddhahood;
    recognition of that is spiritual awakening.

Enjoying everthing, simply
    leave it as it is
    and rest your weary mind.
  • edited January 2010
    Danny boy
    Seeker

leave it as it is
    thank you.
    this helps.
    Longchenpa is most likely talking about the state of nonfabricated contemplation without the interference of conceptual input based upon the senses and their dualistic relationship with the external world. to rest in the natural state the duality collapses and one is able to rest and leave everything "as it is".
    This is how one enters into the state of contemplation. In order to truly enter into the state of contemplation of rigpa and the natural perfection or Dzogchen one must first be introduced to this state by an authentic teacher through the rigpai tsal wang. this empowers one to practice the methods of Dzogchen and introduces the student to their authentic nature that is free from extremes, limitations, and defilement's.
  • edited January 2010
    Danny boy
    Seeker

leave it as it is

This is, in part, defining perfection absent perception, and is part of the canalization of commitments, which may be presented as differential teachings of Theravada / Vinaya and Mahayana. There is an interesting book authored by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu regarding Longchenpa Trime Öser’s ‘Thirty Words of Advice’, it is entitled “Longchenpa's Advice from the Heart”. The writings may better serve in answering the question(s) you have within the bright and relevant context of Longchenpa’s teachings.

Perfection is an illusion beset by the phenomenal nature of all things perceived. As such, the standards by which we seek to measure perfection are also, in themselves, illusions. Therefore, stand not in judgment of perfection rather seek to understand the perfection of all created things.