Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Blueface crosses the pond

edited February 2010 in General Banter
A big HOWDY to all my American friends (so that's the cliche's done, don't need any more of those). YEEHAA! (blast)

I'm lucky enough to be heading to your lovely country for a road trip later this year. Hoping a couple of months there. I have seen some of California but nowhere else. We aim to end up in that little town on the east -New York (came after old York i believe, my town).

Any recommendations of the beaten track? We are open to all ideas at the moment. Would be nice to catch a couple of temples too :)

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    In NY there is Mountains and Rivers Order which has a place in upstate NY but also a local zendo in downtown. There is also

Ithaca Zen Center
    56 Lieb Road
    Spencer, NY 14883
    (607) 272-0694
    Bodymindr@aol.com

lineage of the famous Zen Master, Joshu Sasaki Roshi.

Enjoy your trip, blueface :)

Abu
  • edited January 2010
    i'll check that out when i'm in NY for sure!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If you come to Ithaca, PM me. I live here, and could show you around. It is a beautiful place. (Really frickin' cold at the moment, though.)
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks 5bells. I think its very likely that will be a big part of my NY schedule. I have yet to enter a Zen temple and Zen is my dominant practicve form.:grin:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Welcome I don't know anything about New York unfortunately..
  • edited January 2010
    That's the END of the trip - anywhere before there is open to advice :rolleyes:
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Where are you starting and do you want to see cool city stuff, nature stuff, or corky small town stuff?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If you enjoy beer be sure to sample some of the american craft brewing examples. You have to be selective as the mass produced crap beer industry tries to infiltrate the market. But in my opinion the best beer in the world could be arguably said to be found in america.
    edited January 2010
    Well, if you like that style of Buddhism, there's always Mt Baldy, to the East of LA. I've been there a couple of times. It's very nice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hey, no bald jokes!

blueface, we've alerted all the customs and immigration officials to your arrival!

The Mountain and Rivers place in NY might be worth your while. Good peeps. Also if you're in Northern California at all, do go to Shasta Abbey, which, curiously enough, is right next to Mt. Shasta. My first experience with monastic Buddhism was there (way back in the Dark Ages of the 1970s), and they hold a special place in my heart. Right off I-5 as well.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Where are you starting and do you want to see cool city stuff, nature stuff, or corky small town stuff?

I think we will probably start in Cali and take in Boston and NY the other side. Other than that i'd quite like to see a mixture, some real america not tourist stuff. We will probably stick in smaller cities/towns as we pass across...corky would be nice.
  • edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    If you enjoy beer be sure to sample some of the american craft brewing examples. You have to be selective as the mass produced crap beer industry tries to infiltrate the market. But in my opinion the best beer in the world could be arguably said to be found in america.

Hey no fair - I just gave up booze last year cos i'm advised to by TNH!
  • edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Well, if you like that style of Buddhism, there's always Mt Baldy, to the East of LA. I've been there a couple of times. It's very nice.

Is that a retreat or monastry?
  • edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Hey, no bald jokes!

blueface, we've alerted all the customs and immigration officials to your arrival!

The Mountain and Rivers place in NY might be worth your while. Good peeps. Also if you're in Northern California at all, do go to Shasta Abbey, which, curiously enough, is right next to Mt. Shasta. My first experience with monastic Buddhism was there (way back in the Dark Ages of the 1970s), and they hold a special place in my heart. Right off I-5 as well.

Palzang

I like the idae of a monastry next to a mountain! Not sure about what the rules are for visiting monatries as a layman...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry, Jeffrey. I just had to...um...well....sorry...but laugh out loud when I read that last sentence. I swear, I don't mean to insult you in any way and I'm very fond of you. But...what??? The best beer in the world? In America??

Okay, I realize there are more micro breweries in the U.S. these days. But surely you know that American beer, the mass market stuff, is a...well....um....a joke around the world, right? I mean no disrespect to you. Just to American beer.

And now that I'm on a roll, the best beer in the world has always, and most likely will always, come from Britain. Even if Blueface was going to drink, I doubt there's an ale in America, in any of those micro breweries, that could come close to the quality of Blueface's local.

Sorry. I really am. I just had to say that. I know I'm being critical. But it had to be said.
  • edited January 2010
    I didn't want to say anything but...she may be right there. You wait though- the German brothers will be posting soon, not to mention the czechs.
    ps actually the microbreweries in the US aren't too shabby - remeber thissame argument coming up back in 97 when i was living in San Diego.

pps its just me but the best beers in Britain i think are in th North- largelt because they use 'sparklers' that creat a good creamy foamy finish that stays ...bloody hell i'm relapsing.
    edited January 2010
    blueface wrote: »
    Is that a retreat or monastry?

I was there on retreat, so I guess it's a retreat. There are monks there (it is Joshu Sazaki Roshi's headquarters) so I guess it's also a monastery. More info.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry, Jeffrey. I just had to...um...well....sorry...but laugh out loud when I read that last sentence. I swear, I don't mean to insult you in any way and I'm very fond of you. But...what??? The best beer in the world? In America??

Brigid I'm only talking about the craft brewing industry. I have done a fair amount of emmm research! US has revived a lot of styles that are dying out in their places of origin I have heard (though I don't have firsthand knowledge).

I'd say more as I am a homebrewer and quite knowledgeable, but I won't say too much as its a buddhist oriented forum. Much as I don't go off about buddhism in a homebrewing forum.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Much as I don't go off about buddhism in a homebrewing forum.
    Lol!! Yeah, I can imagine that going down real well on a brewing forum! At least Catholicism has the Trappist monks! :lol:
    Okay, no more bad American beer jokes. I promise. :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I like the idae of a monastry next to a mountain! Not sure about what the rules are for visiting monatries as a layman...

Oh, no problem. They have lots of laypeople visiting. Just let them know ahead of time if you're coming. You can get more info here.

Palzang
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Brigid,

The worst was the video game forum with a speak your mind section. I had so many of my posts deleted by mods because I talked about buddhism to answer peoples questions.

Have you ever tried Unibroue brewery in Canada? They have terrific products. Sleeman's is decent but pretty run of the mill (less premium).
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Blueface,

You're welcome to visit with us in Oregon. Let me know

Vidya Priory
    C/O Brother Bob
    2131 Center St. NE #9
    Salem, OR. 97301
    (503) 364-1209
    brotherpilgrim@gmail.com

There's also Great Vow Monastery in Clatskanie Oregon, http://www.greatvow.org/

And, highly recommended, Sravasti Abbey in Newport Washington; http://www.sravastiabbey.org/ Beautiful!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Brigid,

The worst was the video game forum with a speak your mind section. I had so many of my posts deleted by mods because I talked about buddhism to answer peoples questions.
    Aww! That's too bad. So many video gamers could benefit from knowing Buddhist techniques.
    Have you ever tried Unibroue brewery in Canada? They have terrific products. Sleeman's is decent but pretty run of the mill (less premium).
    Is Unibroue the one that makes Maudite? There was a microbrew beer I used to drink when I lived in Montreal but I forget what it was called. Something 'guelle'? Can't remember.

I never liked Seeman's. Do you? It always smelled skunky to me and I was suspicious of the clear bottles. I was always taught that beer had to be stored in coloured bottles to protect it from the light. I thought that was why Sleeman's smelled skunky.

I haven't actually had a beer in about 10 years but back in the day my favourite kind of beer was British bitter ale. I can't even remember what the brand was that I used to drink at our regular pub (it'll probably come to me later). I used to nurse a pint while sipping on a glass of Cardhu with one ice cube. I used to enjoy it immensely. I often think it's strange that I don't miss it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    yes maudite is the one. i can get it here in michigan. sleeman's is pretty unimpressive but its better than american bmc (budweiser miller coors).
  • edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »

No, no, Brigid, I think Jeffrey's quite right. Only thing is, you have to turn the world globe upside down, spin it around a bit, then Australia will be exactly where America is. That's where the best beer can be found! :D
  • edited January 2010
    I never liked Seeman's. Do you? It always smelled skunky to me and I was suspicious of the clear bottles. I was always taught that beer had to be stored in coloured bottles to protect it from the light. I thought that was why Sleeman's smelled skunky.

Actually you are right for most beers, however, cold-filtered beers can be stored in clear bottles. This is a technique that the big boys employ so the beer is more likely to cater for the majority rather than the boutique market. I do have to admit, though, that it is a smoother beer that the usual mass-market stuff. In any case, I would never drink a beer called Seeman's!!! Is that for real or are you taking the piss???:D:D:D
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2010

You will be able to email MRO to ask about details. MRO seems well accomodated to receiving visitors and lay guests.

For Mt Baldy, it may be tricky to get there and if it is just a day trip, it may not be worth that while. It is the training centre for monks and nuns in Sasaki Roshi's lineage, but regularly hosts sesshins as well for which all are welcome.

If it is LA you are in, it may be easier to go to the Rinzai-Ji Zen centre, at which the teacher is also sometimes in attendance, but regardless, I suspect you could join a sit with them if so inclined. http://www.rinzai-ji.org/ Email or phone calls seem an OK way of correspondence.

Good Luck with it all, and have a fun and safe trip :)
  • edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I was there on retreat, so I guess it's a retreat. There are monks there (it is Joshu Sazaki Roshi's headquarters) so I guess it's also a monastery. More info.

thanks for that 5bells- looks worth a visit...
  • edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Oh, no problem. They have lots of laypeople visiting. Just let them know ahead of time if you're coming. You can get more info here.

Palzang

stunning Palzang...this is gonna end up some kind of pilgramage if i'm not careful...
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Blueface,

You're welcome to visit with us in Oregon. Let me know

Vidya Priory
    C/O Brother Bob
    2131 Center St. NE #9
    Salem, OR. 97301
    (503) 364-1209
    brotherpilgrim@gmail.com

There's also Great Vow Monastery in Clatskanie Oregon, http://www.greatvow.org/

And, highly recommended, Sravasti Abbey in Newport Washington; http://www.sravastiabbey.org/ Beautiful!

Lovely offer Brother Bob. I'll try to make it there if poss and i'll contact you in advance to let you know. Thanks so much
  • edited January 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    No, no, Brigid, I think Jeffrey's quite right. Only thing is, you have to turn the world globe upside down, spin it around a bit, then Australia will be exactly where America is. That's where the best beer can be found! :D

mmmm? I am stretching my perceptions and letting the layers of concept and thought fall to the ground but...no there simply is no way Australian beer is any good.:rolleyes:
  • edited January 2010
    You will be able to email MRO to ask about details. MRO seems well accomodated to receiving visitors and lay guests.

For Mt Baldy, it may be tricky to get there and if it is just a day trip, it may not be worth that while. It is the training centre for monks and nuns in Sasaki Roshi's lineage, but regularly hosts sesshins as well for which all are welcome.

If it is LA you are in, it may be easier to go to the Rinzai-Ji Zen centre, at which the teacher is also sometimes in attendance, but regardless, I suspect you could join a sit with them if so inclined. http://www.rinzai-ji.org/ Email or phone calls seem an OK way of correspondence.

Good Luck with it all, and have a fun and safe trip :)

thankyou friend...i know i can't go wrong with this help!
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think we will probably start in Cali and take in Boston and NY the other side. Other than that i'd quite like to see a mixture, some real america not tourist stuff. We will probably stick in smaller cities/towns as we pass across...corky would be nice.

I haven't looked through all of the comments so someone may have suggested this already but I would recommend going through the southwest (my neck of the woods). Moab, UT with Arches national park is a must see and if you take I-70 from California it travels right near there.

If you take I-80 from San Francisco you will go through my home city of Salt Lake. There are tons of cool things around this city to do as well, depending on what you are looking for I guess. A fun road trip would be to take route 66 and stay off the major Highways.
  • edited January 2010
    mmmm? I am stretching my perceptions and letting the layers of concept and thought fall to the ground but...no there simply is no way Australian beer is any good.:rolleyes:

As opposed to... the warm muck you guys drink up there coz the weather is so cold??? :p
  • edited January 2010
    In Evansville, Ind there's The Buddha Heart Sangha. Kalik beer from the Bahama's is a really great beer!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    yes maudite is the one. i can get it here in michigan. sleeman's is pretty unimpressive but its better than american bmc (budweiser miller coors).
    When Maudite first came out it was quite shocking to older French Canadians to see it just sitting there right out in the open on a shelf in the fridge of their local dépanneur (Fr. Can. for 'convenience store'). Maudite means "My God!" in the Quebecois vernacular, from 'Mon Dieu'. Much like Italians, French Canadians are largely Catholic and like Italians the worst way a person could swear in the old days was to use religious words and expressions because those would be the most taboo to use as swear words, or cursing words. So when you hear a French Canadian swearing in Quebec you're likely to hear things like, "Maudit, tabernac!! Estie, colice!" My spellings off but basically in English that means, "My God, tabernacle! Spirit chalice." Or something like that, words having to do with the church and specific objects used during mass. I'm not sure if 'estie' is spirit or the wafer that turns into Jesus' body when blessed by a priest and given out during Holy Communion or what, exactly. Or maybe 'estie colice' are meant to go together and refer to the vessel that holds said blessed wafers.

Holy crap! I can go on and on, can't I?
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Lol!! The last time I had an Australian beer was in 1989 in college in Wales. It was...you guessed it..a pint of Fosters. It was the only lager on tap they had and I hadn't developed my taste for the bitter yet. Not a great beer but I imagine things have improved since then. (I wish there was a smiley that had her arms up protecting her head from random objects being thrown at her by Australians.) :p:D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Interesting story about the french Canadians. Sounds like Unibroue went bold in their marketing campaign. Fosters is not particularly good imho. Cooper's Sparkling Ale is decent from Australia. I've had that in america. Actually at outback steak house. Ok bridgid I need your protective smiley now :lol:

A had a beer recently by Avery called Karma. Was pretty average. Supposedly in the french farmhouse style but I wasn't too crazy about it.
  • edited January 2010
    Lol!! The last time I had an Australian beer was in 1989 in college in Wales. It was...you guessed it..a pint of Fosters. It was the only lager on tap they had and I hadn't developed my taste for the bitter yet. Not a great beer but I imagine things have improved since then. (I wish there was a smiley that had her arms up protecting her head from random objects being thrown at her by Australians.) :p:D

Personally, I can't drink Fosters.:eekblue: It's pretty disgusting stuff! Lol. There are many boutique beers and some fairly common beers that are pretty good but you can't judge Aussie beers on that horrible muck. But hey, I'm not one to say that we have the best of the best of the best... lol but Aussie beers are pretty good. Lots of great European beers that I've tasted and I have to say that the warm beer the poms produce is pretty good straight out of the tap. Goes down a tad too quickly though... he.. he..
  • edited January 2010
    Cooper's Sparkling Ale is decent from Australia.

You read my mind... My favourite Aussie beer actually. I especially like the "scum" on the bottom of the bottle that settles due to the last part of the fermentation process occurring after it's bottled. Yum....
  • edited January 2010
    That's it i've decided to scrap the visiting America idea. I'm now off on a beer cruise aroiund the world.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Brian and I live in Detroit. If you make it to Michigan, you'd be remiss to not stop by our headquarters for a day or two. :)
  • edited February 2010
    Nice one friend. I will certainly get in touch if things head that way. My people are nice on this forum. Everyone...i kind of like you.