Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Major Earthquake in Haiti

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited January 2010 in Buddhism Today
I'm sure everyone has heard that there was a 7.3 scale earthquake in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, yesterday with untold death and destruction. This is a good time to dedicate your practice to benefit those who have been killed as well as those who have survived so that their suffering can be alleviated and they can get help soon. This is where the rubber meets the road, folks.

Palzang

Comments

• Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I was just about to make a similar post. Thanks Palzang for being on top of things as always.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Why are some places subject to one misery after another, and others one advantage after another? It is so unfair.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't think fair is a word you can really apply to natural disasters. Who's being unfair, god? I think it's more important to look at the massive human suffering that's going on there and respond somehow, such as by doing practice and dedicating the merit to them.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I don't think fair is a word you can really apply to natural disasters. Who's being unfair, god? I think it's more important to look at the massive human suffering that's going on there and respond somehow, such as by doing practice and dedicating the merit to them.

Palzang
    You are right. ...but boy did those folks get a sorrowful hand.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, "fairness" is a human notion.
    edited January 2010
    What does a non-human notion look like? ....for that matter what does a non-notion look like. just asking.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm following the news coverage as well as Twitter and other social networking sites really closely. It's horrific. In addition to dedicating merit, donations can also be made to various organizations.

My mind and heart go out to all who are suffering so terribly.
  • edited January 2010
    Such a horable thing.
    Brigid have you seen a place where you can donate?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The Red Cross is one of the best places. There is also a charity called The Yele Haiti Foundation founded by Wyclef Jean, a famous Haitian musician, that is taking donations, but their website, www.yele.org, is down because they've had too many hits!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I just checked again, and Yele Haiti is back up.

Palzang
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If a Christian pops up and says this is their punishment by God for following voodoo, said Christian will deserve their own karma ripening.

It is not helpful at all to speculate on a vengeful God or even collective karma ripening.

Thank you Palzang for raising this.

I watch the news with interest, as every single military death in Afghanistan has had longer coverage than this disaster, where tens of thousands have probably died in a day.

Give money and/or pray and/or dedicate merit. For those who understand, 'taking and giving' practice is also good at this time.

Whatever one can do, as my old boss would say, JFDI (Just F Do It!).
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The Haitian Prime Minister is now saying it could top 100,000 dead.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Pretty easy way to donate: text "HAITI" to 90999 and $10 will be donated to the red cross relief efforts.
    http://newsroom.redcross.org/2010/01/12/<WBR>disaster-alert-earthquake-in-haiti/
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The Haitian Prime Minister is now saying it could top 100,000 dead.

Palzang

Such a number is hard to contemplate. I saw news reports showing people writhing in agony - no ambulances, no help, no hope, and the injured usually outnumber the dead. I am grateful that the news media have covered the disaster, as even those with little imagination can see the extent of the carnage.
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    If a Christian pops up and says this is their punishment by God for following voodoo, said Christian will deserve their own karma ripening.

It is not helpful at all to speculate on a vengeful God or even collective karma ripening.

Thank you Palzang for raising this.

I watch the news with interest, as every single military death in Afghanistan has had longer coverage than this disaster, where tens of thousands have probably died in a day.

Give money and/or pray and/or dedicate merit. For those who understand, 'taking and giving' practice is also good at this time.

Whatever one can do, as my old boss would say, JFDI (Just F Do It!).
    Namaste
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks to Palzang for starting this thread.
    Why are some places subject to one misery after another, and others one advantage after another? It is so unfair.
    I would like to analyze this thought. No offense, but it came across as materialistic to me. For example, one could say that people have a million different advantages living in the US, and not too many large-scale bad things happen here. However, what is the measure of our misery? I see a place where there are a couple hundred million adults chasing the $, only truly enjoying their life for a few days per year if at all, typically very ignorant, selfish, and barely compassionate.
    If you contrast our wealthy country to someplace like Bhutan or Tibet (forget the Chinese oppression for the sake of this argument), or some other group like the Inuits. They are all very poor, have very little materialistic opportunities, but perhaps their lives are much richer and more fortunate.
    Back to the point. My thoughts go out to the people of Haiti.

brian
    edited January 2010
    krahmer wrote: »
    Thanks to Palzang for starting this thread.

I would like to analyze this thought. No offense, but it came across as materialistic to me. For example, one could say that people have a million different advantages living in the US, and not too many large-scale bad things happen here. However, what is the measure of our misery? I see a place where there are a couple hundred million adults chasing the $, only truly enjoying their life for a few days per year if at all, typically very ignorant, selfish, and barely compassionate.
    If you contrast our wealthy country to someplace like Bhutan or Tibet (forget the Chinese oppression for the sake of this argument), or some other group like the Inuits. They are all very poor, have very little materialistic opportunities, but perhaps their lives are much richer and more fortunate.
    Back to the point. My thoughts go out to the people of Haiti.

brian
    Materialistic? Look it isnt rocket science to see that the people of Haiti have lived through more than their share of misery. Slavery, poverty, dictatorship, disease, enviromental devastation,a string natural disasters, an awful conjunction of many of these, and now an appalling quake that looks like a replay of Lisbon. I am not assigning causal nonsense. I'm just saying that they have had a thoroughly shitty time.

Its a no brainer.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What does a non-human notion look like? ....for that matter what does a non-notion look like. just asking.

Thanks, that's a great question which I hadn't considered before. I mean that it's a notion which can only be sensibly applied to strictly human affairs, that is, affairs concerned with interactions between humans.
  • edited January 2010
    Materialistic? Look it isnt rocket science to see that the people of Haiti have lived through more than their share of misery. Slavery, poverty, dictatorship, disease, enviromental devastation,a string natural disasters, an awful conjunction of many of these, and now an appalling quake that looks like a replay of Lisbon. I am not assigning causal nonsense. I'm just saying that they have had a thoroughly shitty time.
    Its a no brainer.
    I'm sorry that your ego won't allow a brother to try to have a discussion about how materialism taints our thoughts. To use your argument: misery; slavery; poverty; disease; environmental devastation, natural disasters: Yep, reminds me of New Orleans. My point was that there is misery everywhere, different places just have it in different flavors.

namaste,
    brian
    edited January 2010
    krahmer wrote: »
    I'm sorry that your ego won't allow a brother to try to have a discussion about how materialism taints our thoughts. To use your argument: misery; slavery; poverty; disease; environmental devastation, natural disasters: Yep, reminds me of New Orleans. My point was that there is misery everywhere, different places just have it in different flavors.

namaste,
    brian
    New Orleans was appalling, but recognizing that Haiti has suffered a disproportionate amount of even more prolonged misery is not controversial, and getting an argument about it on a this thread is a head scratcher? I'm sorry but it is.

Suffering is not distributed equally.. Haiti, Denmark...Sudan, Canada, Colorado... Gaza, Some people got it worse than others. much worse.

Incidentally if Christian missionaries fueled on Jesus are going to get in there first and do the the hard dirty work to help these people, then "praise the lord".
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010

Palzang

Here is the reason for the horrible disaster in Haiti.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/pat-robertson-haiti-curse_n_422099.html

-bf
    edited January 2010
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    Here is the reason for the horrible disaster in Haiti.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/pat-robertson-haiti-curse_n_422099.html

-bf

It may have been a pact with the devil but it wasn't made by the poor enslaved people of Haiti. Rather, the pact was made by slave runners, european aristocrates, and greedy men ignoring truth and compassion for money and power. The people of Haiti are still experiencing the Karma from such atrocities from the past.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Well, the US really benefited from it.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that.

Pat Robertson - WTF?!?!

There must really be a Devil cuz a Pat Robertson couldn't be the product of regular ole "evolution".

-bf
    edited January 2010
    LOL for real right.

What I can never understand is not that he says it (he is in it for the money and power) I don't agree but I get it. What baffles me is that people watch it and start singing Halleluhas and Amen and claim to be compassionate Christians.
    edited January 2010
    I don't think he is just in it for the power and the money, He is sincere and that is why its scary. In his mind that power and money is being accumulated for the Glory of God.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Pat should know about deals with the devil. He's made a few himself.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    This is just one small vote for humankind here (or at least NewBuddhistKind) but I'm desperately hoping we're not going to get into a long discussion about the clearly ignorant and viciously hateful things some people have the unmitigated gall to vomit up while sitting in front of a national news team and camera crew.

I know the Pat Robertson thing had to be addressed (which is one the reasons why he's so successful at what he does. He spews filth that can't be ignored by sane human beings...media savvy whore that he is).

But I'm just hoping we can be brief about it because there's so much profound and concentrated suffering going on right now there's no point adding to it, is there? He doesn't deserve the attention and we don't deserve his poison.

But as I said, that's just one vote...

By the way, The Red Cross, as always, is a safe donation bet as Palzang pointed out, as is Avaaz.org. Avaaz donations go directly to local Haitian aid groups:
    Based on expert advice from leading humanitarian NGOs who have been working in Haiti for over 30 years, we'll offer donations to trusted local organizations, including:

1. Honor and Respect for Bel Air, a big community-based network in Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince, which is also supported by our friends at the respected Brazilian NGO Viva Rio.

2. Coordination Régionale des Organisations de Sud-Est (CROSE), which brings together some of the most active community groups in the South of Haiti where the earthquake struck hardest. These groups include: women's groups, schools networks and local cooperatives.
    [From the email Avaaz sent me on Wednesday]

Just to be sure, I donated to The Red Cross and Avaaz. Although my donations were tiny, every bit helps. Every little bit.

Being right there and having family, friends, and neighbours trapped under rubble and being unable to get to them must be the ultimate and most extreme experience of frustration, desperation, and helplessness a human can suffer. Hearing their cries from under the rubble must be hell in its purest form. Being the ones who are trapped....well, I better not go there in case any of you are claustrophobic.

When I was in grade 2 and 3 my best friend was Marie-Claude Toussaint. Her father was some sort of government official and they only lived in Montreal for those two years. I was so heartbroken when she had to go back to Haiti. She was the only black kid in our whole school which was a super Catholic school. In fact, my older sisters who went there before me were taught by nuns. I wasn't. But it was still a pretty uptight place. Marie-Claude was the most beautiful, open, happy, joyful kid that I ever knew in my 6 years there. So unlike the other dour kids.

Sorry. Rambling. I've just been thinking a lot about her and wondering where she is. She's probably not even in Haiti. I don't know. I remember she had the most gorgeous clothes. I was a bit jealous of her clothes. :o Her mother was a fashion designer/seamstress and made them all herself. She had these satin trousers, bright, light blue. I think that's when I fell in love with that particular colour. We got our picture in the town paper (a tiny little weekly, not like the Montreal Gazette or anything, but still...) when we won the three legged race on field day. It's a great pic. We're both smiling like crazy. I hope she and her family are somewhere perfectly safe.
  • edited January 2010
    you have my vote too Brigid
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You're right, Boo. Instead of wondering about the "fairness" of the troubles the Haitians are experiencing or the idiocy of Pat Robertson, we should be focused in the actual suffering the Haitians are experiencing this very minute! Forget the rest.

BTW, another very easy to donate is to text YELE to 501501. That will put $5 in the Yele Haiti coffers directly. Even $5 will help a lot in Haiti. And so will a lot of prayer and practice dedicated to them. They are us, after all, and we are them.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    anyone know a UK counterpart? - i have tried texting and its not working...hmmm
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't the Red Cross have an office in the UK? They undoubtedly have some way of donating there. Try looking it up online.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    I would like to donate some money to them too, I don't have a credit card, is there some way I can send it straight from my online banking?
    edited January 2010
    There a a thousand reliable ways to donate aid money. It's never been so easy to do.
  • edited January 2010
    TheFound, I would suggest calling OxFam Canada at 613-237-5236. They're in Ottawa. I'm sure they could tell you how to donate by sending a check, or perhaps they can do an electronic bank transfer.

brian
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Three thoughts immediately come to mind: (1) making a donation to reputable aid organizations (e.g., Mercy Corps, the Red Cross, etc.), no matter how small, is an admirable thing to do, (2) Pat Robertson is a dickhead and (3) fuck the Heritage Foundation.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If you have a cell phone, you can do it straight over that and it'll show up on your phone bill. Just text YELE to 501501.

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I just donated $50 to Doctors Without Borders. I think they're a good organization.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, Jason! They are indeed a good organization. I would go so far as to say a wonderful, brave, and compassionate organization. They do amazing things without seeking the limelight or tooting their own horn.

The problem right now is that there is a whole lot of help heading towards Haiti, but getting it there and into the hands of the people who need it to survive is quite another matter. Very difficult situation there right now. That's where prayer and dedicating our practice can really make a difference.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    I made a donation directly on the Red Cross site because on the day of the quake, I tried the texting thing, I got a text back saying that my carrier was not participating. Thankfully, they are now! I'm also making a point to send Reiki to the people (and animals) of Haiti as well as the volunteers.
  • edited January 2010
    I've just made my donations. South Africans can make donations to the SA Red Cross by SMSing their name to 40779 - amount of R20 per SMS is debited to your account.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    According to news reports, the Red Cross is in Haiti now big time making lots of progress getting aid to those who desperately need it, so it might be best to donate directly to them right now.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    I am a volunteer for the red cross on the national call list (U.S.) and hoping/working to eventually get on to the international list. I wish I was already prepared to go on the international team for moments like these.

One thing I would recommend is that we all learn and prepare for our own potential disasters. Volunteer with your local chapter, become first aid and CPR certified it is usually very cheap or free in your local red cross chapter), and donate to these type of organizations so they will have supplies ready for a disaster in your area.
  • edited January 2010
    such a tragic event