Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nonself

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited February 2010 in Philosophy
In another thread, I started thinking about non self and it's implications. I realize that a separate "entity, being" does not exist that is Jerbear. I am just a collection of cells in a certain configuration that makes this organism that thinks its Jerbear. Got that.

How does this help? I've experienced alot of things in the past few months that I'm sure something experienced and most were quite painful. What are some thoughts on this? Trying to use this for my own good as there is a possibility that I may have a serious mental disorder that I would love to treat like Russel Crowe did in "A Beautiful Mind". "You're not real!" I realize this is not a therapy group, but just how do others use it in their every day lives to face that dirty R word, reality.

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Actually I can say with confidence that the social entity called Jerbear (or whatever your daily handle is) does indeed exist, and deserves to have a healthy intergrated life. What does not exist is an absolute experiencer at the subjective pole of awareness. There is seeing but no seer therein, hearing but no hearer therein etc. This does not even touch a healthy social identity. Maybe you like vanilla ice cream, me....I like creme carmel.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear wrote: »
    In another thread, I started thinking about non self and it's implications. I realize that a separate "entity, being" does not exist that is Jerbear. I am just a collection of cells in a certain configuration that makes this organism that thinks its Jerbear. Got that.

How does this help? I've experienced alot of things in the past few months that I'm sure something experienced and most were quite painful.

Nonself is a practice instruction, not an ontological statement. Hold the question "What is experiencing this?", look and see that there is nothing experiencing it. There is peace when resting in this state of looking. These podcasts explain in more detail.
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Nonself is a practice instruction, not an ontological statement. Hold the question "What is experiencing this?", look and see that there is nothing experiencing it. There is peace when resting in this state of looking. These podcasts explain in more detail.
    You dont hold onto no-self, it is an antodote, but an antidote to a false notion, that of an unchanging essense corresponding to "I". Both Theravadin and Zen teachers have been pretty straight forward on that one. Experientially one cannot reduce it to either self or no-self, but we start out with an attachment to the notion of self, therefore we need the antidote of no-self.
    edited January 2010
    Yep, exactly.
    edited January 2010
    Yep, exactly.
    What is your view on the psychological self and the integrity of the person? It can be a subtle matter.
    edited January 2010
    It hasn't come up much, for me. Only abstractly, from reading Epstein and Disciplines of Attention...
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Still confused. THAT'S FANTASTIC!!! I have an 138 IQ and don't get any of this. Ain't Beginner's Mind fantastic!
    edited January 2010
    Still confused. THAT'S FANTASTIC!!! I have an 138 IQ and don't get any of this. Ain't Beginner's Mind fantastic!

To put it simply, when you you say "I" and "me" in the sense of being this person with these responsibilitlies, that is a real and practical reference.
    But when observing this self, this person, this observing is not "I", it does not belong to anyone. it is not an entity apart from what is observed. It is just a basic, ownerless space.

This is innaccurate in so far as there is a reference at all, to observing and so forth. This is why we are told to do.

This quote by Seung Sahn is pretty clear.

Everybody says, "I" -- "I want this, I am like that..." But nobody understands this "I." Before you were born, where did your I come from? When you die, where will your I go? If you sincerely ask, "what am I?" sooner or later you will run into a wall where all thinking is cut off. We call this "don't know."
    Zen is keeping this "don't know" mind always and everywhere.
    When walking, standing, sitting,
    lying down, speaking, being
    silent, moving, being still.
    At all times, in all places, without
    interruption -- what is this?
    One mind is infinite kalpas.
    Meditation in Zen means keeping don't-know mind when bowing, chanting and sitting Zen. This is formal Zen practice. And when doing something, just do it. When driving, just drive; when eating, just eat; when working, just work.
    Finally, your don't-know mind will become clear. Then you can see the sky, only blue. You can see the tree, only green. Your mind is like a clear mirror. Red comes, the mirror is red; white comes the mirror is white. A hungry person comes, you can give him food; a thirsty person comes, you can give her something to drink. There is no desire for myself, only for all beings. That mind is already enlightenment, what we call Great Love, Great Compassion, the Great Bodhisattva Way. It's very simple, not difficult! So Buddha said that all beings have Buddha-nature (enlightenment nature). But Zen Master Joju said that a dog has no Buddha-nature. Which one is right? Which one is wrong? If you find that, you find the true way.
  • edited January 2010
    there is no single kernel inside you that is the perennial, everlasting you which follows every one of your thoughts, feelings, and experiences like a spiritual voyeur wearing nothing but socks, rather you are those very experiences themselves in whichever way they manifest. the seer lives inside the seen and is indistinct from it, you are only that which happens to you, so when you look into the sky and see the clouds drifting by it's not mr. jerbear, a conceptual construction, experiencing it, mr. jerbear is the clouds themselves!
    edited January 2010
    there is no single kernel inside you that is the perennial, everlasting you which follows every one of your thoughts, feelings, and experiences like a spiritual voyeur wearing nothing but socks, rather you are those very experiences themselves in whichever way they manifest. the seer lives inside the seen and is indistinct from it, you are only that which happens to you, so when you look into the sky and see the clouds drifting by it's not mr. jerbear, a conceptual construction, experiencing it, mr. jerbear is the clouds themselves!

NO!!! SOCKS!!! :eekblue:

But seriously .....that is nicely put.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Nonself is a practice instruction, not an ontological statement.

Simple, straightforward answer. :)

The Buddha's teachings were only concerned with dukkha, so they all need to be looked at within that context.

Not-self is one of the marks of existence. It's true whether we're aware of it or not. But when there is ignorance, there is clinging to things as if they were. The Buddha taught that clinging to things as I/self/mine leads to dukkha, because all things are impermanent and, as such, are not fit to be clung to as I/self/mine.

The teachings need to be explored as a whole. If you don't explore the nature of dukkha and anatta, the role of clinging, etc. together, then it won't be of much use.

As Fivebells said, it's a teaching instruction. When you meditate on it, the insight gained will naturally begin to carry over into your daily life. You'll begin to notice the process of dukkha arising through self-identification and clinging, and cut it off at its roots.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Psst Jerbear... love the new avatar!!!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Les! Still working through annatta but it's coming slowly but surely. But Shirley still thinks she is her own person with a soul. YUK!
  • edited January 2010

How does this help? I've experienced alot of things in the past few months that I'm sure something experienced and most were quite painful. What are some thoughts on this? Trying to use this for my own good as there is a possibility that I may have a serious mental disorder that I would love to treat like Russel Crowe did in "A Beautiful Mind". "You're not real!" I realize this is not a therapy group, but just how do others use it in their every day lives to face that dirty R word, reality.
    1. The realization of impermanence detaches us from our delusion in regards to "I will always have this; this will always be here."

2. The realization of selflessness reveals the impermanence of our own bodies and mind. With wisdom do we perceive nothing we do for ourselves lasts either.

3. The realization of dependent arising gives us our purpose. We awaken.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    i opened Aj Brahm's 'mindfulness, bliss and beyond' this morning and in chapter 15 i found the following

....suppress the five hindrance [which] provide undistorted perceptions, one able to see things as they truly are.

i found this is very true
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm still working through this (and probably will for the rest of my life as it is one of the deeper teachings of the Buddha), but I always read any responses. I may print out the 5 hindrances and put them somewhere until I have them memorized along with the 5 skhandas. I do like how things are numbered in Buddhism for people like me who need help remembering stuff.
  • edited January 2010
    What's funny is that the teachings aren't deep at all. They're very apparent truths, but we've become so accustomed to seeing things in a self-centered way that it takes a deal of effort to realize them. ;)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Probably, but I'm trying to remember that just because I may get what is being said that it isn't an easy truth. I have an ego big enough for all active and inactive members of the board.
  • edited January 2010
    That's the issue we have to deal with. We "get" that nothing is permanent, and that everything that comes into existence does so based upon conditions (like fire requiring a fuel source, a source of ignition and oxygen), but like you said it's our ego that makes it difficult to realize. Once we're able to smother that ego, through personal realization of selflessness, all the rest falls into place.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Probably, but I'm trying to remember that just because I may get what is being said that it isn't an easy truth. I have an ego big enough for all active and inactive members of the board.

Jer, we all have that big ego!

As for understanding, don't force it. It will come, and not through your cognitive struggles to understand, but through your practice, both on and off the meditation cushion. It will probably take years ... but what else are you going to do with that time that has any real significance?:lol:
  • edited January 2010

I think it is also an clearly ontological statement at lower levels of Abstraction:)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Foible,
    Trying to figure that one out also. What am I going to do until then? Hmmm, keep sitting, keep studying, keep trying to put into practice what I learn. I try to follow the K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple, Son) method of life. You ladies may substitute sister if you like.

I've spent many years helping others and right now I'm taking a break to take care of me. It may sound selfish, but there are some things that I must get addressed and a plan of action determined and put into practice so that I can get back to helping others with right intention. I got a medical diagnosis the other day that threw me for a loop. In learning how to deal with this, I hope to help others. If not, getting back to work ASAP so I have less time to think about things and get back to what I love, nursing.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010

That's your problem right there. Being really smart can cause mental disorders. My grandfather was a genius and he was nuttier than a fruitcake.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010

Hi Jerbear

This is the problem when just reading discussions of emptiness on the web. Runnnig around saying that Jerbear doesn't exist is not quite right. Saying who Jerbear is now may also not tell the complete story, but that is an entirely different ball game, realisable only through genuine practice and not mere intellectual deduction (IMO).

In terms of real life, I think it would be good for you to address this in a counselling room, and or alternatively take up and continue a disciplined meditation practice. Then just take up whatever means and friends and family you have available to support you throgh your difficulties. Sport, yoga, all these means can be adopted also if they help. Then keep up your meditation, and adopt a non harming path to self and others - as much as you can muster.

Buddhism's teachings are not untrue, but they are not mere panaceas either. ie. They are only true until they are true. Until then, it is only a whitewash. But that takes practice, sometimes years and years of practice. Genuine practice too. ( What practice is is of course more encompassing but this is a different topic and most meaningful to practitioners so allow me to be concise here only )

In the meantime, don't neglect yourself, and the help you may need.

Running around saying or even thinking you or your problems and fears don't exist may not yet be the right thing, if it is not your own true realisation.

I have not read the remainder of this thread so apologies if I am repeating anything already mentioned.

Best wishes, and please take good care of yourself, Jerbear.

Metta,

Abu
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    In another thread, I started thinking about non self and it's implications. I realize that a separate "entity, being" does not exist that is Jerbear.
    Oh gosh, I just wrote a ton of things and accidentally lost them. Sorry if I sound hasty: (please guys correct me if I am wrong)

Not Self, Impermanence and Dukkha walk hand to hand.

Imagine a section of a river. The fact that the water and the fish in that section won't be the same in a few hours is impermanence, translated in the idea that "things change".

The fact that there is no single entity in that river that is everlasting is not self. There isn't a drop of water in that place that you can count on to be there always, nor grains of sand, nor fish. That is not self, translated in the idea that "this thing changes". In other words, not self is impermanence applied to a single entity: to a table, to me or to a river.

Dukkha refers to the impermanence of the conditions that make sentient beings fulfilled. Let's say animals drink water from this river, but when it is winter it freezes over. When it is winter they will be distressed by the fact that they will have to look for another source of water. (this might be a very poor explanation of Dukkha x-) )

Emptiness is a different thing altogether. In the case of the river we can't say that what constitutes it is the sand, or the fish, or the water. We can't say that all of these together are the essence of the river because it changes over time. We can't say there is an entity outside these that contain the essence of river. So "river" is a label for a number of aggregates, it exists by being merely labeled by mind.
    How does this help?
    I wouldn't use the emptiness approach, but craving and aversion are usually linked to a strong sense of self, and they might diminish a bit after emptiness meditations.
    I would love to treat like Russel Crowe did in "A Beautiful Mind". "You're not real!"
    In that movie his visions were a major annoyance. He did shout "You are not real!", but that didn't work and at a point he befriended his illusions, and if I am not mistaken apologized to them and said he wouldn't be talking to them anymore. Guess what? They continued appearing, but they started appearing more in the background, and he managed to go back to being a professor.

It is the same with pain, once you stop trying to run from it, or trying to make it not exist, it will give you some space, even though it won't go away. That just means your aversion stopped adding to the problem.

[ooo now after posting on experienced practitioners part of the forum I feel annointed :-x joking :P]