Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello, I have a question.

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi, my name is Kevin, I'm new to the forum.

In the future I'd like to become a Buddhist monk, its been a passion for a while now, but I take medication for really bad depression (the chemical imbalance type, not the dealing with problems type).

If I were a monk in say...Tibet or India, or even in the US, would they allow me to take medication? Would they not care?

I don't think they would care, as my medication is nessesary to survive (I surely would knock myself off if I didn't take it), but you never know, and I'd rather know now if I couldn't become one than later as I neared my goal.

Peace and Love,
Kevin

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I suggest you ask the monastery you aspire to ordain at, because the policy may vary from place to place. You're probably correct that they wouldn't care, but it can't hurt to ask now.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm agreeing with 'fivebells'. I also recommend taking precepts and practicing with them for some time prior to seeking ordination. Also, here's a link to some information: http://sites.google.com/site/vidyapriory/home/taking-monastic-vows

Shalom and Hugs
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Kevin,

It's extremely unlikely that you'd be allowed to be a monk in Chinese ruled Tibet!

Why not phone, e-mail,write to, or better still visit the nearest Buddhist monastery to where you live and ask them ?

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the responses, I didn't think it would vary from monestary to monestary but I never thought about how many types of Buddhism there was until now.

Are there any other kinds of disqualifications one might meet at any monestary?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    It's extremely unlikely that you'd be allowed to be a monk in Chinese ruled Tibet!

What is the policy on this? I gather the number of monks is limited by the PRC, but is it just a quota, or something more elaborate?
  • edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    What is the policy on this? I gather the number of monks is limited by the PRC, but is it just a quota, or something more elaborate?

I think there are many restrictions, but you're unlikely to find accurate information on the internet about these policies. It is also difficult to gather information if one visits Tibet as I think there are restrictions on where people can visit and who people can talk to.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    They do have monks in Tibet, but the numbers are regulated. Also they don't like it when the monks don't follow the party line... But otherwise, from what little I know, they seem to be able to practice freely.

As for taking medication as a monk, I can tell you at our place that is not a problem at all. I can't see that it would be a problem anyplace. There's certainly no vow against taking medication. Medication is seen as the activity of the Medicine Buddha, so wherein would the problem like?

Palzang