Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Conversations with God series

edited January 2010 in General Banter
Has anyone read these books? They are by far my favorite books of all time and they are what lead me to my awakening.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    kstep123 wrote: »
    Has anyone read these books? They are by far my favorite books of all time and they are what lead me to my awakening.

Hi kstep,

They are what lead to my awakening also! I was a christian and wanted to practice my christianity better. One day when I was in a bookshop, I came across the first of the Conversations with God books and for some reason it was as if I was drawn to it so I bought it. When I read it, I decided to mentally practice it and began to see everything in terms of god and to see god in everything as the book describes. This led to some pretty amazing mind-altering views which were pretty scary too so I decided to learn about meditation so I could start with the basics. When searching for meditation techniques I of course came across many Buddhist websites. When I started reading about Buddhism, I it made so much sense and was so logical and direct that I called myself a Buddhist and the rest is history.

Glad to have come across someone else who was so influenced by there books.

Metta,

Vangelis
  • edited January 2010
    That's pretty much how it happened to me. I've just started really looking at buddhism but I've always had an interest in becoming a monk, I think because I've always had an extreme interest in religion/spirituality and have wanted to become as immersed in it as possible.
  • edited January 2010
    kstep123 wrote: »
    That's pretty much how it happened to me. I've just started really looking at buddhism but I've always had an interest in becoming a monk, I think because I've always had an extreme interest in religion/spirituality and have wanted to become as immersed in it as possible.

That's admirable. Why don't you go to a monastery and try staying there for a little while. They should allow you to stay there for a period of time to see what you think of it and if it is agreeable to you, you can then take the next step. I've stayed at a monastery only for a weekend. But it was a good experience.
  • edited January 2010
    I have the first book and the movie.

I haven't read it from woe to go, but I read bits every now and again.

It's interesting.