Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

five aggregates / five skandha

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited January 2010 in Philosophy
i would like to share this experience and would like to hear any ideas/suggestions/experience/comments

after two hours of insight meditaion it struck into the mind that each and every experience we come across (seeing/hearing/feeling/knowing) is a effect of a previence cause
in other words, kamma vipaka of a previous kamma
the same thing can be said as a 'bava' (previous kamma) paccaya 'jathi' (occuring of five aggregates)

those who knows/sees 'dhamma' and be mindful can stop the new experience become 'bava' for future (next moment or any future time) 'jathi'

but for who does not know/see 'dhamma' it is inevitable the new experience become 'bava' for future existence (jati)

so each and every moment whatever we experience is jathi/five clinging aggregates and it itself make 'bava' for future 'jathi' (existece/birth) unless we know/see dhamma

(it is bit clumsy when try to explain it but i hope experience buddhist practisioners can contribute something or can take something out of this)

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yep, that's exactly right. I've heard that the Buddha said something to the effect of "This holy life is devoted to the abandonment of becoming (bhava.)"
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    so fivebells if we apply this to our day-today-living,
    for instance when one gets up in the morning (say one opens one's eyes) one can mindfully go to the bath-room , brush teeth, wash face, get dress and have breakfast
    then upto that point (because one is mindful) one does not have 'upadana paccaya bava and bava paccaya jati'

however if one opens one's eyes and think about what sort of things one has to do the day one just rush to the bath-room (no mindfulness at all) with so many other things (which are again bava paccaya jati) in th mind , brush teeth (with so ....), wash face (with so ....), etc. and driving, or running to the bus stand or railway station or just walking to do what was in the mind etc.

so all of such things all the time be the 'cause for effect' and it is never ending samsara
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    so all of such things all the time be the 'cause for effect' and it is never ending samsara
    sounds a little too serious too me

buddha actually taught to transcend both becoming & non-becoming

life is impermanent and just natural elements

everything is simply nature or dhatu

but your mind is caught in samsara, namely, the samsara of becoming and non-becoming

when one must rush to the bus stop, one rushes to the bus stop

rushing is better than being late for work or losing your job because one wishes to be a non-becoming zombie

kind regards

:smilec:
    edited January 2010
    in other words, kamma vipaka of a previous kamma
    buddha actually taught about the kamma that ends kamma

kamma is to develop goodness

the kamma that ends kamma is to develop liberation

edited January 2010
    the five aggregates are not related to kamma

the five aggregates are simply mere aggregates, just natural elements (dhatu)
    When recollecting, 'I was one with such a form in the past,' one is recollecting just form. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a feeling in the past,' one is recollecting just feeling. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a perception in the past,' one is recollecting just perception. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such mental fabrications in the past,' one is recollecting just mental fabrications. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a consciousness in the past,' one is recollecting just consciousness.

"And why do you call it 'form'? Because it is afflicted, thus it is called 'form.' Afflicted with what? With cold & heat & hunger & thirst, with the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, & reptiles. Because it is afflicted, it is called form.

"And why do you call it 'feeling'? Because it feels, thus it is called 'feeling.' What does it feel? It feels pleasure, it feels pain, it feels neither-pleasure-nor-pain. Because it feels, it is called feeling.

"And why do you call it 'perception'? Because it perceives, thus it is called 'perception.' What does it perceive? It perceives blue, it perceives yellow, it perceives red, it perceives white. Because it perceives, it is called perception.

"And why do you call them 'fabrications'? Because they fabricate fabricated things, thus they are called 'fabrications.' What do they fabricate as a fabricated thing? For the sake of form-ness, they fabricate form as a fabricated thing. For the sake of feeling-ness, they fabricate feeling as a fabricated thing. For the sake of perception-hood... For the sake of fabrication-hood... For the sake of consciousness-hood, they fabricate consciousness as a fabricated thing. Because they fabricate fabricated things, they are called fabrications.

"And why do you call it 'consciousness'? Because it cognizes, thus it is called consciousness. What does it cognize? It cognizes what is sour, bitter, pungent, sweet, alkaline, non-alkaline, salty, & unsalty. Because it cognizes, it is called consciousness.

Khajjaniya Sutta

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010

rushing is better than being late for work or losing your job because one wishes to be a non-becoming zombie

kind regards

if there is 'wishes to be a non-becoming' then there is again becoming

practising mindfulness (be mindful of what is happening at the moment) is itself non-becoming :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    the five aggregates are not related to kamma

the five aggregates are simply mere aggregates, just natural elements (dhatu)

but any being (except Arahants) is five clinging aggregates

can we say we (not arahnts) are just natural elements (dhatu)?
    edited January 2010
    but any being (except Arahants) is five clinging aggregates

can we say we (not arahnts) are just natural elements (dhatu)?
    for me, i say all are natural elements, including arahants

the 'five clinging aggregates' is a mistranslation

the proper translation is 'five aggregates subject to clinging'

the five aggregates are body, feelings, perceptions, formations & consciousness

clinging is a product of the formations aggregates only when under the power of ignorance

for example, the body aggregate is not mental. it cannot cling.

the same with feeling & consciousness. these aggregates cannot think therefore they cannot cling

:)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    for me, i say all are natural elements, including arahants
    sadhu! sadhu!! sadhu!!

the 'five clinging aggregates' is a mistranslation

the proper translation is 'five aggregates subject to clinging'

the five aggregates are body, feelings, perceptions, formations & consciousness

clinging is a product of the formations aggregates only when under the power of ignorance
    correct

but unless one (except arahnts) is not mindful which means one is with ignorance (forgets the reality) one clings to body, feeling and perception starting formation providing birth place for conciousness

ignorance itself creates the next round of birth etc. so five aggregates

for example, the body aggregate is not mental. it cannot cling.

the same with feeling & consciousness. these aggregates cannot think therefore they cannot cling

true
    however body, feeling, perception, formation and conciousness can not be seperated and they arises simultaneously and ceases simultaneously
  • edited January 2010
    Hi upekka,

I like this info! Hope it helps. :)

'Preface

Abhidhamma, as the term implies, is the Higher Teaching of the Buddha. It expounds the quintessence of His profound doctrine. The Dhamma, embodied in the Sutta Pitaka, is the conventional teaching, and the abhidhamma is the ultimate teaching. In the Abhidhamma both mind and matter, which constitute this complex machinery of man, are microscopically analysed. Chief events connected with the process of birth and death are explained in detail. Intricate points of the Dhamma are clarified. The Path of Emancipation is set forth in clear terms.

Modern Psychology, limited as it is, comes within the scope of Abhidhamma inasmuch as it deals with the mind, with thoughts, thought-processes, and mental states, but it does not admit of a psyche or a soul. Buddhism teaches a psychology without a psyche.

If one were to read the Abhidhamma as a modern textbook on psychology, one would be disappointed. No attempt has here been made to solve all the problems that confront a modern psychologist.

Consciousness is defined. Thoughts are analysed and classified chiefly from an ethical standpoint All mental states are enumerated. The composition of each type of consciousness is set forth in detail. The description of thought-processes that arise through the five sense doors and the mind-door is extremely interesting. Such a clear exposition of thought-processes cannot be found in any other psychological treatise.

Bhavanga and Javana thought-moments, which are explained only in the Abhidhamma, and which have no parallel in modern psychology, are of special interest to a research student in psychology.

That consciousness flows like a stream, a view propounded by some modern psychologists like William James, becomes extremely clear to one who understands the Abhidhamma. It must be added that an Abhidhamma student can fully comprehend the Anattà (No-soul) doctrine, the crux of Buddhism, which is important both from a philosophical and an ethical standpoint. The advent of death, process of rebirth in various planes without anything to pass from one life to another, the evidentially verifiable doctrine of Kamma and Rebirth are fully explained...'

Edited from the downloadable:

• abhi_man.zip 25 KB A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma, by Bhikkhu Bodh

at

http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp07.htm

I recommend studying, contemplating, and meditating upon the 'Thought-Process" as presented in this offering.

Wishing you well

Shalom and Hugs
    edited January 2010
    Abhidhamma, as the term implies, is the Higher Teaching of the Buddha. It expounds the quintessence of His profound doctrine. The Dhamma, embodied in the Sutta Pitaka, is the conventional teaching, and the abhidhamma is the ultimate teaching.
    Non-sense. The Buddha was fully enlightened and taught the dhamma perfectly. Abhidhamma is often just philosophy and specultive psychology. The Abhidhamma often teaches "too much' where the Buddha taught in the middle.

In the Abhidhamma both mind and matter, which constitute this complex machinery of man, are microscopically analysed.
    Exactly. But this microscopic analysis is theoretical rather that which arises from direct insight. The speed of a 'mind-moment' as hypothesised in abhidhamma cannot be discerned. But the arising & passing of consciousness in conjunction with the arising & passing of an in or out breath can be discerned.
    Bhavanga and Javana thought-moments, which are explained only in the Abhidhamma, and which have no parallel in modern psychology, are of special interest to a research student in psychology.
    The Buddha did not teach about Bhavanga because it does not actually exist. To think there is a continuity of consciousness is defiled insight. The Buddha advised the arising & passing of consciousness has been discerned.
    It must be added that an Abhidhamma student can fully comprehend the Anattà (No-soul) doctrine, the crux of Buddhism, which is important both from a philosophical and an ethical standpoint. The advent of death, process of rebirth in various planes without anything to pass from one life to another, the evidentially verifiable doctrine of Kamma and Rebirth are fully explained...'
    Anatta means 'not-self'. It is a doctrine of dispossession or relinquishment. it is not related to a 'soul' or absence of one.

To regard there to be a stream of consciousness (Bhavanga) is the same as believing there is a 'soul'.

As for literal rebirth, it cannot be verified.

Kind regards

edited January 2010
    but unless one (except arahnts) is not mindful which means one is with ignorance (forgets the reality) one clings to body, feeling and perception starting formation providing birth place for conciousness
    Enlightened beings remain conscious.
    ignorance itself creates the next round of birth etc. so five aggregates
    Ignorance creates craving, attachment, becoming, self-view & suffering. it does not create the five aggregates (although it can "build" the five aggregates).
    however body, feeling, perception, formation and conciousness can not be seperated and they arises simultaneously and ceases simultaneously
    The existence of the five aggregates is not suffering. Only regarding the five aggregates as "I" and "mine" is suffering.

It is important to discern this because in doing so, the mind discerns Nibbana or liberation.

Kind regards

DDhatu:)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Enlightened beings remain conscious.
    how about people who see the reality for a split second and fall back to their usual self (stream winners)

or

don't you think that their can be such a state?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What do you mean, upekka? What about them? At what point are they not conscious?

Both unenlightened and enlightened beings are conscious. Unenlightened beings' consciousness is simply tainted by ignorance.

Clinging to the body/percetion/feeling is not what results in consciousness. The Buddha never taught this. The Buddha taught concsciousness arises and ceases constantly throughout our lives and is dependent on a sense organ coming in contact with a sense object.
  • edited January 2010
    Dear Dhamma Dhatu,

When I read your response 'non-sense' to the posted reference to the abhidarma teachings I felt some disagreement and imagined this statement coming from someone who really doesn't clearly understand the genesis of the abhidharma teachings or how to practice with them. I'm neither an abhidharmist nor an appologist for that school of practice, in fact, I actually train to uphold Mahayana monastic and Bodhisattva vows and consider myself a disciple of prajnaparamita; who is especially fond the Prasangika Madhyamika school/training.

I came to study, contemplate, and meditate upon the abhidarma teachings because one of my Zen teachers/mentors assigned me the task of knowing this body of information. Thus, I've been training (hearing, contemplating, and meditating) with this stuff for about twelve years now.

Please remember that all teachings are simply provisional means for others of varying dispositions to clearly understand and train with the BuddhaDharma.

The Abhidarma information was compile from the direct practical experience of
    seriously dedicated meditators regarding the inner landscape of their body/mind, as they imagined it over many years of rigorous training. The error that many folks make; especially contemporary philosophers and theoreticians (those I've often referred to as being stuck in their F-ing heads) - I imagine because they lack a depth of practical insight gained from years of continuous training with the BuddhaDharma (especially deep meditation) - is to assume the abhidharma information to be philosophical or theoretical. It is not! It is practical.

It is a skillful way of providing guidance to those interested in exploring the relative functioning of the body/mind in deep meditation along with practical advice and recommendations for how to address the causes of suffering not a treatise on metaphysical questions.

The primary error in the abhidharma point of view is said to be, not in it's presentation of the functioning of the mind; which by the way I imagine is accepted by all Buddhist schools and, as a matter of fact, is required study in Tibetan monastic education as part of Prajnaparamita training, but in it's affirmative approach to the inherent existence of elements (bhuta), as I think you pointed out. This view does not agree with the Mahayana assertion on no-self/emptiness/no inherent existence, etc.

Therefor, dear, I humbly recommend and request that you pursue deeper study, contemplation, and meditation on these things before making disparaging statements regard these matters.

In any case your argument in opposition "non-sense" may best be made to a qualified Theravadin adept of the abhidharma, based in your own verification of the information through years of practical experience, rather then intellectual speculation, which I imagine as quite harmful to others who may be new to the BuddhaDharma, as we have here, and confused as to what is correct.

Shalom and Hugs
    edited January 2010
    ...knowing this body of information.
    Sounds like rote learning.
    Please remember that all teachings are simply provisional means for others of varying dispositions to clearly understand and train with the BuddhaDharma.
    Philosophy is not training.
    Therefor, dear, I humbly recommend and request that you pursue deeper study, contemplation, and meditation on these things before making disparaging statements regard these matters.

:lol: No thanks.
    In any case your argument in opposition "non-sense" may best be made to a qualified Theravadin adept of the abhidharma, based in your own verification of the information through years of practical experience, rather then intellectual speculation, which I imagine as quite harmful to others who may be new to the BuddhaDharma, as we have here, and confused as to what is correct.
    Too much guru worship it seems on your behalf. Generally, those who have practised for "years" have not gotten very far.

Indeed. What you are recommending is "incorrect". As for what is "harmful"...
    Shalom and Hugs
    No thank you. Yuk.

:hrm:
    edited January 2010
    I ... I ... I'm ... I ....myself... a disciple ....
    I ... my .... I've ...I've ... I ...they ...I... I ... you ....I ... your ...I ... we ... Shalom and Hugs

:rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    ...Tibetan monastic education as part of Prajnaparamita training, but in it's affirmative approach to the inherent existence of elements (bhuta), as I think you pointed out. This view does not agree with the Mahayana assertion on no-self/emptiness/no inherent existence, etc.
    The above view on emptiness is incorrect, false, unbalanced & dangerous. It is the view of nothingness or nilhilism. The Buddha did not teach "no-self".

The above Tibetan view is contrary to the teachings of the Buddha who regarded a wise person is 'skilled in elements'.

To regard things & life as elements is exactly the same as emptiness because both the elements (dhatu) and emptiness (sunnata) are void of self.

The view of elements is affirmation without clinging. It is embracing without rejecting. It is void existence.

Elements = emptiness = elements = emptiness.

Form = void = feelings = void = perception = void = thought = void = consciousness = void

Each human beings is blessed with many faculties, such as a body, mind, sense organs, wisdom, compassion and so forth.

Each human beings must relate to and associate with many things, both inside & outside.

All of these things are mere elements, such as the element of masculinity & the element of feminity. All of these things are mere nature.

This is how a Buddha sees & relates to the world.

A Buddha does not dwell in a mind of non-conceptualisation. Emptiness is not empty of existence and empty of perception. A Buddha sees 'what is what'.

The Buddha-To-Be rejected non-conceptualisation as enlightenment before his awakening.

The Buddha did not deny neither existence nor non-existence.

For the Buddha, empty means empty of self & anything pertaining to self.

This is liberation & this is the correct safe understanding.

Even when functioning in the world on a conventional level, the communication of 'self' must be used. This 'self' is 'not-self'. It is not a real self. This 'self' is merely mental functioning or communicating. It is merely one of many elements of nature.

A Buddha does dwell in convention and then in the ultimate. A Buddha does not go in and out of 'enlightenment' or 'voidness'. Whatever a Buddha does, whether keep silent, meditate, talk or eat, his mind remains in enlightenment, in voidness, in the ultimate.

Kind regards

DD (Terror-vadist)

edited January 2010
    ...This view does not agree with the Mahayana assertion on no-self/emptiness/no inherent existence, etc.

Your humble recommendation is ignorance. The Buddha said:
    "When, Ananda, a monk is skilled in the elements, skilled in the bases, skilled in dependent origination, skilled in what is possible and what is impossible, in that way he can be called a wise man and an inquirer."

THE MANY KINDS OF ELEMENTS - BAHUDHATUKA SUTTA
    "But this Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. And which Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives? 'There are these six elements' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these six media of sensory contact' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these eighteen experiences of feeling' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these four noble truths' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives.

Tittha Sutta: Sectarians
    As for those who assert only non-being, only non-existence, the Buddha regarded such as like a dog chasing its own tail. For these, the Buddha said:
    ...one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one....

on Right View

edited January 2010
    how about people who see the reality for a split second and fall back to their usual self (stream winners)

or

don't you think that their can be such a state?
    Hi

Yes. A stream winner can fall back at times. That is why they must keep practising.

Kind regards

• edited January 2010
    Ah, Dhamma Dhatu,

I feel profound sadness reading the words you've posted.

I do wish you well and happy.

And continue to offer you

Shalom and Hugs
    edited January 2010
    I feel profound sadness reading the words you've posted.
    Get over it Bob.

Just another condescending brainwashed.

We love it when the Mahas say: "We feel sorry for you; we will pray for you".

Much of Mahayana thought was a regression.

Mahayana is akin to Advaita, etc....

The Mahayana view on emptiness is simply not that of the Buddha's.

Take it or leave it.

:o
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah! Baby,

You ole' trickster you. Thank you for your kindness in exemplifying the principle of never believing what another says about the BuddhaDharma

Dear Teacher,

I prostate to you with body, speech, and mind and present clouds of every type of offering both actual and mentally transformed ... please remain until cyclic existence ends and turn the wheel of the Dharma for the benefit of all beings...

Shalom and Hugs
    edited January 2010
    And continue to offer you

Shalom and Hugs
    Well...if you lived in my conventional society, I could prosecute you on a harrassment charge.

Please...keep your hugs to yourself...

:skeptical
  • edited January 2010
    Dear Dhamma Dhatu,

This is sooo much fun :lol:
    edited January 2010
    Obviously your social & moral boundaries are weak.

:o
  • edited January 2010
    Ah, :lol: There you go again.
    edited January 2010
    I prostate to you with body, speech, and mind and present clouds of every type of offering both actual and mentally transformed ...
    You are losing it Bob in delusions of duality.

Your offering is rejected. Why would I want an offering of delusion? How could it be beneficial?

:wtf:
    edited January 2010
    Ah, There you go again.
    Jesus said: "If you ask your father for a fish, would he give you a snake?".

In Thailand, there is the saying: "Snake, fish, fish!, snake, fish, fish!".

This is when a snake is excitedly mistaken for a fish.

The diversity of views & experience is like this.

But often when a mind is intolerant, under the guise of love, it manifests intolerance & the incapacity to accept diversity.

This is another delusion of false & dangerous misunderstanding of emptiness.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi

A stream winner can fall back at times. That is why they must keep practising.

Kind regards

thanks dhamma dhatu