Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    My favourite from the link:
    If there is no self, whose arthritis is this?
    :D
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Those were delightful... thanks for posting.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I've always liked Jewish humor. My dad always had Jewish friends and would tell me the jokes and stories he heard from his friends. I've come to view the jokes as something like the Nasruddin stories the Sufis tell; the jokes act as a mirror that reflects our own foolishness, and at the same time can be understood at different levels, depending on what we're capable of understanding.

A mother is sending her son off for his first day of school. "Look both ways before crossing the street, bubeleh. When you go outside, bubeleh, you'll button up so you don't catch cold. Pay attention in class and don't cause the teacher any trouble, bubeleh." And so on, each sentence addressed to her bubeleh (a term of endearment).

When the son comes home from his first day, his mother grabs him and kisses him and fusses over him. "Did you like the other children, bubeleh? Did you have fun, bubeleh? What did you learn today?"

And the son answers "I learned that my name is Irving."

Is my knowledge of myself actual knowledge, or is it just what I was told by parents and friends and other Buddhists?

A young wife has mother-in-law who disapproves of her and is always belittling her, although the mother-in-law never voices an actual criticism. For example, when the wife gives birth to triplets, the mother-in-law shows up at the hospital and says "This can't be due to my son. In my family we never have triplets."

The wife responds "The doctor says it happens once in a million times."

With an expression of horror, the mother-in-law says "My dear, when did you have time to do the housework?!"

Our understanding of other people's behavior usually reflects whether or not we like them.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Lmao!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    There are lots of Bujews (I'm a half breed). Something about the Talmudic tradition syncs with Buddhism, especially study of the Pali Canon.