Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Victims of Biology

edited January 2010 in General Banter
To my friends, I'm viewed as extremely lucky. Things just usually go my way. I seem to get all the easy classes and teachers, the right people get fired at work so that I'm promoted, I have unbelievable luck in the stock market whenever I buy stocks. So life is good!

But I'm generally luckless when it comes to romance. One problem I'm sure has afflicted everyone at some point or another; being liked by someone who you don't share the same feelings with.

It's actually much easier to deal with romance problems when your feelings are simply not reciprocated. You move on. But what about when someone has very real, romantic feelings for you and feel nothing in return? What do you say?

I'm not talking about incompatibility with personalities. Of course I get along with certain personality types better than others. But on rare occasions, I'll find a woman who is very similar to me personality-wise. We agree on stuff, enjoy the same things, have the same values. It would be a perfect match...but they are not attractive to me in the slightest. :(

It's cold, heartless biology. I can't escape the fact that as a male member of the human species, physical attraction is of prime importance to courtship. It's nothing personal, but I just cannot date or marry someone if I don't first find them attractive physically.

But how do I put that into words with people? Biology may be heartless, but I certainly am not. I can't just turn a girl away and tell her I think she's ugly or sub-par. I have to be much more diplomatic. But what are the words?

It's an unenviable situation to be in, and I'm in one of those right now. Just looking for the right words to explain it without totally lying.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    ...what are the words?

If the situation is as you described, with no earlier representation of interest from you, then "Sorry, I'm not interested" is more than enough.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I met a girl years ago and I thought she was ugly, I liked her more than any other girl and even though she doesn't like me anymore I still think she's beautiful though. Trust me, if you really love somebody beauty shines outwards, extremely litteraly, just give it a go.

As long as they aren't hairy... :lol:

Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    That's probably the best way to handle it, FiveBells.
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    I met a girl years ago and I thought she was ugly, I liked her more than any other girl and even though she doesn't like me anymore I still think she's beautiful though. Trust me, if you really love somebody beauty shines outwards, extremely litteraly, just give it a go.

So she was ugly, but you thought she was beautiful on the inside? That's well and good, but I can't will myself into finding people attractive. They either are or they're not. I'm skeptical that inward beauty can manifest itself in biological attraction...at least for men. I believe it is quite possible for women.
    edited January 2010
    It's confusing because everyone says she's ugly but whichever way I look at it I can't see that. I'm almost over her anyway, I want to squeeze all the juice out of my life and it might be sweet orange or sour lemon but you don't know 'till you take a sip, in other words I don't want to waste my time so I'll move on because I don't know what I could be missing.... I do love my metaphors though:rolleyes:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Just tell her you don't have feelings for her like that way. I wouldn't go into the reason because she cannot change her appearance.

One thing to remember is that we all end up old farts. But if her appearance makes you feel negative I wouldn't string her along and then dump her later when you can't take it anymore.
    edited January 2010
    She dumped me months ago so I'm finally moving on, we don't even speak anyway
    Love & Peace
    Joe