Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abhidharma Training

edited January 2010 in Philosophy
Is anyone interested in discussing how to actually practice with the Abhidharma?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    No thanks. I once joined Abhidharma Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/

It was a frenzy. Hundreds of frenzied superstitious emails coming into my inbox, day after day.

All too much. To me, it seemed to just make these people crazy.

:)
  • edited January 2010
    Ah, Dhamma Dhatu,

I feel sooo sad reading your posts and now amused :lol:, thank you! I'm getting it, you're joking, right?

Shalom and Hugs :D
    edited January 2010
    I am a Buddhist Bob.

I do not generally joke.

The Buddha advised one should not utter a deliberate lie, even in jest.

As I said, my impression of dsg.org was it was a frenzy of desperate craziness.

:o
  • edited January 2010
    I am a Buddhist Bob.

I do not generally joke.

The Buddha advised one should not utter a deliberate lie, even in jest.

As I said, my impression of dsg.org was it was a frenzy of desperate craziness.

edited January 2010
    I feel sooo sad reading your posts...
    Your problem Bob is your mind is stuck in duality and self-cherishing; in exalting oneself and disparaging another.

• edited January 2010
    Okay,

Dhamma Dhatu, so let's explore how to practice with the abhidarma, to clearly understand it.

Sorry, I just read your last post (Hum?) I'm wondering, Who's disparaging? Baby I'm not buying it!
    edited January 2010
    Baby I'm not buying it!
    Unlike yourself and your offerings, I am not asking you to buy anything.

I am just giving my opinion.

Brother. :buck:

You have already bought into it via your emotional projections & condescending dualistic posts.
  • edited January 2010
    Come-on let's pick it up a little, okay? yu appear to be punkin' out on me here!:(
    edited January 2010
    Dhamma Dhatu, so let's explore how to practice with the abhidarma, to clearly understand it.
    Bobby Boy.

I did not request a teaching from you.

Buddhist's generally do not evangelise & prothletize (spelling?) unlike other religions.

Shalom baby.

:buck:
  • edited January 2010
    Dear Friends,

For all those who may have followed the threads in which Dhamma Dhatu and I exchanged words, I will confess the obvious. I failed to uphold the precept of transforming anger and I am sorry. My sarcasm and challenging Dhamma Dhatu were unskillful and I found some joy in taunting him and watching him spin out repeatedly. That was just pure meanness. Dhamma Dhatu I apologize to you for my poor behavior and promise to be more skillful in the future.
    edited January 2010
    No need to be hyer-sensitive Bob. It is all just elements; just emptiness.

Be at ease friend. Good night.

:)
  • edited January 2010
    This discussion of Abhidharma is fascinating!!!
    edited January 2010
    Join the forum I mentioned and investigate for yourself.
  • edited January 2010
    Dear shenpen nangwa,

Hi :o I'm not sure to which aspect of the thread you're referring. If it's to the idea of understanding the Abhidharma a little more clearly, I'd like to add a recommendation to the following link:

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/s-abhidham/s-abhi02.htm

Shugs! (as our friend Palzang graciously phrased it! :lol: - thanks you Ole' 'Lama's Boy')
  • edited January 2010
    I have heard it mentioned that the Abhidharma was originally taught to devas, and is highly intellectual in nature due to the devas being highly intellectual beings. If you're a person that tends to over intellectualize things, then detailed study of the Abhidharma may benefit you.

For most of the rest of us, that type of intellectual study can give rise to headaches and actually become a hindrance for some. IMHO, a regular meditation practice along with a bit of study is more beneficial to most people.
  • edited January 2010
    Dear poto,

I read your recommendation to meditation practice as correct and wish to offer that Abhidharma practice is correctly undertaken as an adjunct to deep introspective meditation, that being the prerequisite for correctly working with the Abhidharma info. Unfortunately, most of us do not practice with the Abhidharma in this way and it appears that this mistake in our practice has been around a very long time. :(

Shugs!