Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wrong View/ Micca Dhitti

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited January 2010 in Philosophy
'unless we are enlightened or mindful after seeing the reality
almost all the time we are having the wrong view'

if the above statement is correct, whenever we see, hear, taste, smell, touch or think we are having wrong view or delusion

because we are having wrong view (delusion) then it is inevitable we are having re-linking conciousness

then there is a next round of samsara or re-birth

if anyone against to above statements i would like to know why do you against?

if anyone aggree to above statements how can we get rid of wrong view (delusion)

hope we can have a fruitful discussion

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Could you cite the source of your quotation please?

References are required.
    It's important for everyone to be able to examine the source of such statements.

Many thanks!
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    dear federica,

after i read 'chula hatti padopama sutta', 'madu pindika sutta', 'rahulovada sutta', 'maha salayathana sutta' and a few more (considering the amount of suttas in sutta pitaka) suttas, i contemplate and came to the above understanding

therefore i can not provide any specific sutta reference

in my case, i have listened to a few dhamma talks and read a few suttas and contemplate on them and come up with some understanding

i would like to share 'my understanding' and want to get correct if i am wrong
    i appreciate any experience practisioner who correct me
    and
    inexpereience practisioners can get benefit out of the discussion too
  • edited January 2010
    I like Chapter 9, 'Right View' from:

Thich Nhat Hanh's - 'The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings'

part of which may be previewed at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=mguMwvBonZ0C&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=right+view+thich+nhat+hanh&source=bl&ots=C9zt-gHD-Z&sig=Jtj-9XoyoVqtJLb2cR_mAHK0cfQ&hl=en&ei=mq5YS5yGIIOQsgOen5nGBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=right%20view%20thich%20nhat%20hanh&f=false

and:

(ii) The quality of the ability to discard and to realise, 1:6.2-4

1:6.2-4 Completely abandoning the three constant fetters,
    The bodhisattva possesses supreme delight
    And is able to stir a hundred worlds.

The second quality is küntü jorwa sum (kun tu sbyor ba gsum), which has been translated here as ‘fetters’. In Tibetan, it means something that not only holds you in samsara, but also pulls you down into samsara. There are three of these fetters, or causes that draw us into samsara and hold us there:

Holding a certain view as supreme (lta ba mchog ’dzin). This has three subcategories:

1. Thinking that the five aggregates are supreme, jigtsok (’jigs tshogs). We think that I, me and mine are supreme. We hold this view as supreme – we think ‘I am supreme’ – that is why we are here, and why we return repeatedly.
    2. Thinking Nirvana is supreme, tar ta (mthar lta), such as wanting to be reborn in heaven, thinking that heaven is supreme or that enlightenment is supreme.
    3. Thinking that a wrong view is the supreme view, logta (log lta). For example, some people have an inferiority complex, and think that they are useless or worthless. This is a wrong view, but you think it is a supreme view. You are addicted to it – you love to think that you are bad or worthless. Another example is thinking that ignorance is something inherent that cannot be destroyed.'

excerpted from: Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche – Madhyamakavatara – 1996 Chapter 1, page 29,

which may be requested for download from:

https://app.etapestry.com/hosted/KhyentseFoundation/OnlineForm.html

ask for the: 'Madhyamikavatara Commentary'

Shalom
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    if the above statement is correct, whenever we see, hear, taste, smell, touch or think we are having wrong view or delusion

because we are having wrong view (delusion) then it is inevitable we are having re-linking conciousness

For an understanding that's beneficial to actual practice I would replace "relinking consciousness" with "dukkha."

When the sense bases are tainted with delusion, greed, and aversion, clinging will arise and so dukkha will arise.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    'unless we are enlightened or mindful after seeing the reality
    almost all the time we are having the wrong view'

then there is a next round of samsara or re-birth

if anyone against to above statements i would like to know why do you against?

if anyone aggree to above statements how can we get rid of wrong view (delusion)

hope we can have a fruitful discussion

People generally believe that in the case of seeing, it is the eye which actually sees. They think that seeing and the eye are one and the same thing. They also think: "Seeing is I," "I see things," "The eye, seeing, and I are one and the same person." In reality this is not so. The eye is one thing and seeing is another, and there is no separate entity such as "I" or "ego." There is only the reality of seeing coming into being depending on the eye.

People who are without the training in and knowledge of insight meditation hold the view that seeing belongs to or is "self," "ego," "living entity," or "person." They believe that "seeing is I," or "I am seeing," or "I am knowing." This kind of view or belief is called sakkaya-ditthi.

Physical pain, aging, sickness, separation and death are natural consequences of birth. These are seen as just inevitable experiences without a sufferer. When the ego is seen as false a great burden is lifted as in the ultimate sense there is nothing to protect or defend.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    People generally believe that in the case of seeing, it is the eye which actually sees. They think that seeing and the eye are one and the same thing. They also think: "Seeing is I," "I see things," "The eye, seeing, and I are one and the same person." In reality this is not so. The eye is one thing and seeing is another, and there is no separate entity such as "I" or "ego." There is only the reality of seeing coming into being depending on the eye.

what do we have to do to get rid of this 'I see' or 'I see things'?
    edited January 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    what do we have to do to get rid of this 'I see' or 'I see things'?

Vipassana or insight meditation

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/whatis.htm
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Pegembara. Thanks for your answer, I learnt one or two things. Could you please expand on one point of yours:
    pegembara wrote: »
    When the ego is seen as false a great burden is lifted as in the ultimate sense there is nothing to protect or defend.

My question is, is it enough to 'see the ego as false' for this this burden to be lifted? A person may see his ego as false, but neverthess the ego remains for this perception to hold; and true reality remains hidden and the burden remains.

If you could just clear up my understanding please.
    edited January 2010
    sjb86 wrote: »
    Hi Pegembara. Thanks for your answer, I learnt one or two things. Could you please expand on one point of yours:

My question is, is it enough to 'see the ego as false' for this this burden to be lifted? A person may see his ego as false, but neverthess the ego remains for this perception to hold; and true reality remains hidden and the burden remains.

If you could just clear up my understanding please.

It is so easy once you understand. It is so simple and direct. When pleasant things arise, understand that they are empty. When unpleasant things arise, see that they are not yours. They pass away. Don’t relate to them as being you, or see yourself as the owner of them. You think that papaya tree is yours, then why don’t you feel hurt when it is cut down? If you can understand this, then this is the correct path, the correct teaching of the Buddha, and the teaching that leads to liberation.

No Ajahn Chah

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/No_Ajahn_Chah:_Reflections
  • edited January 2010
    Upekka,

I believe that there is another way to look at ‘Right View,’ in that it is not only opinions that are correct, and accumulated, nor is it seeing what isn’t true over a period of time. It is more like direct seeing (insight if you wish), into what is in fact Reality/Liberation.

Seeing this, you instantaneously know what isn’t real from that second onward, an epiphany. This is similar to coming into a dark room and throwing on the light. Does the room get light slowly over time, or all at once?

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thank you

i tried to differenciate the 'seeing' and the 'see a thing'

my unerstanding is as follows

Look at the word 'upekka'
    what do we see?
    we see a colour
    our eyes meet the colour and our attention is there
    This is the 'seeing'

But do we stop at the seeing
    No
    we go beyond the colour and we recognize letters, make a word and make a male/female out of the word

we recognize the letters because we learnt them before (past)
    we can make a word out of letters which represent a name of a person (past)

if these letters occurs for the first time in this thread the mind registers them as ' new member' ('a thing' for future reference)
    if we have seen them before there is a perception like 'ah, this is one of old member of the forum' ('a thing' came from the past)

seeing brings up our previous knowledge (past) and this the 'see a thing'

(if there is 'see a thing' 'I" is there to see that)

we react to this 'see a thing' if our attention does not turn into another seeing, hearing, feeling or knowing

therefore being mindful means we do not fall back to the 'past' but stay at the 'present moment' of seeing/hearing/feeling/knowing

this will help us to act mindfully rather than react absent mindedly

hmm.. its easier to said than done

Fortunately practice make perfect

any comments
  • edited January 2010
    Upekka,

I will grant you that the mind adds onto what we originally see (sensually) with our physical eyes, and than we have a mish-mash of physical seeing and memory traces all stuck together. But, I don’t believe that Right View is all about getting rid of the memory traces, so that we can get back to simply seeing in a more physical fashion again, (back to the garden/myth), or what some might call back to our original animal self.

I see it more like 3 stages: (1) the physical seeing, (2) the mental seeing, and (3) the spiritual seeing. So that 'Right View' is seeing through, or seeing past, 1/physical and 2/mental seeeing to what is foundational/transcends both of these. (Something far more subtle.)

Buddha said, Self is not physical or mental as they are impermanent and empty.

Now, some may go on to say that there is no self altogether, and others think that there may be a more spiritual understanding than that. Or said differently, some say there is no-ego-self, but there certainly is a Real Self, something more Ultimately True. I weigh in on the Ultimate Self as I feel that I have personally witnessed this.

(Both of these belong to different Buddhist schools.)

Yet, we all seem to agree that our first impressions about what 'seeing' is, may not necessarily be correct. So, we search and investigate all that is said, and all that we think we know, all in our own ways, in order to answer this pressing question, “What is Right View?”

What I think I have found is that there are relative truth, which serve us quite conveniently while living in this world, and there are more Ultimate Truths beyond this world's dream.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Upekka,
    I don’t believe that Right View is all about getting rid of the memory traces, so that we can get back to simply seeing in a more physical fashion again, (back to the garden/myth), or what some might call back to our original animal self.

No
    i never suggest of getting rid of the memory traces because until we die the memory traces will come without doubt
    that is the way it is whether we like it or not

but i suggest if we can be mindful of our sensual experiences which are tarnished with our memory traces we would not react instantly instead we act mindfully
    because we are mindful we do not act with greed, hate or delusion

there is no greed, hate or delusion means we act with awarenesss and there is no formation (sankhara) for future (next moment or any future time) becoming
    so it itself a non-becoming (for a moment)

What I think I have found is that there are relative truth, which serve us quite conveniently while living in this world, and there are more Ultimate Truths beyond this world's dream.
    should i say the relative truth is useful to live in our 'dream world' and when we awake from the dream we meet the Ultimate Truth :)
  • edited January 2010
    Upekka,

U: I suggest if we can be mindful of our sensual experiences, which are tarnished with our memory traces we would not react instantly instead we act mindfully
    because we are mindful we do not act with greed, hate or delusion.

S9: Well, yes we should try to think before acting and not simply to react knee jerk to any situation. But, don’t you think we can govern our thoughts and not simply our actions?

U: There is no greed, hate or delusion means we act with awareness, and there is no formation (sankhara) for future (next moment or any future time) becoming
    so it itself a non-becoming (for a moment).

S9: Well not exactly. We would be forming (Good?) sankharas for the future.

U: What I think I have found is that there are relative truth, which serve us quite conveniently while living in this world, and there are more Ultimate Truths beyond this world's dream.

S9: Ah, I said the same thing, just recently.

U: Should I say the relative truth is useful to live in our 'dream world' and when we awake from the dream we meet the Ultimate Truth.

S9: Exactly. But, actually they are going on simultaneously, right now.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Upekka,

U: I suggest if we can be mindful of our sensual experiences, which are tarnished with our memory traces we would not react instantly instead we act mindfully
    because we are mindful we do not act with greed, hate or delusion.

S9: Well, yes we should try to think before acting and not simply to react knee jerk to any situation. But, don’t you think we can govern our thoughts and not simply our actions?
    how can we govern our thoughts when we are not mindful we automatically fall back to wrong view (even if we have already gain the right view)
    gin the right view doesn't mean that we always (24 hours) with the righ view

U: There is no greed, hate or delusion means we act with awareness, and there is no formation (sankhara) for future (next moment or any future time) becoming
    so it itself a non-becoming (for a moment).

S9: Well not exactly. We would be forming (Good?) sankharas for the future.
    yes we would be forming sankharas for the future if we are not arahnt (able to have the right view always)

however for a one thoughtful moment which could have been many more sankhara for indefinete time periood could be stopped forever
    there is no doubt the next thought moment (if it is with wrong view) create sankhara for the future

U: Should I say the relative truth is useful to live in our 'dream world' and when we awake from the dream we meet the Ultimate Truth.

S9: Exactly. But, actually they are going on simultaneously, right now.
    WONDERFUL s9:)
  • edited January 2010
    Upekka,

U: Gaining the right view doesn't mean that we always (24 hours) with the right view.

S9: Perhaps at first it is only a glimpse, which the mind cannot hold on to, and it slowly slips away only to be retrieved once more. But after a while, it is more like an attitude that you live from, rather than something you try to hold onto, don’t you think?

Respectfully,
    S9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Upekka,

U: Gaining the right view doesn't mean that we always (24 hours) with the right view.

S9: Perhaps at first it is only a glimpse, which the mind cannot hold on to, and it slowly slips away only to be retrieved once more. But after a while, it is more like an attitude that you live from, rather than something you try to hold onto, don’t you think?

Respectfully,
    S9

agree with 'you S9'

respectfully,
    upekka
  • We are born with wrong view.
  • right view is no view thus all views. thus nothing and everything. thus nirvana. thus reality as it is.

wrong view is a view thus subjectivity thus grasping thus ego.

once a person realizes right view then there is only right view. even the old wrong view is seen as right view.

it's all just infinite potential at its root.

metta
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Nice necropost hehe
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    this is an old thread

:D
  • We are born with wrong view.
    indeed, we are born with wrong view

:)
    "Monks, there are these seven underlying tendencies. Which seven?

"(1) The underlying tendency of sensual passion.

"(2) The underlying tendency of resistance.

"(3) The underlying tendency of [wrong] views.

"(4) The underlying tendency of uncertainty.

"(5) The underlying tendency of conceit.

"(6) The underlying tendency of passion for becoming.

"(7) The underlying tendency of ignorance.

"These are the seven underlying tendencies."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an07/an07.011.than.html

edited April 2011
    right view is no view thus all views. thus nothing and everything. thus nirvana. thus reality as it is. wrong view is a view thus subjectivity thus grasping thus ego. once a person realizes right view then there is only right view. even the old wrong view is seen as right view.
    for Buddha, right & wrong view are explained here

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.009.ntbb.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited April 2011
    lol disagree? tell me why i want to learn.

naw i want to hear your explanation of right view and wrong view.

not some other random enlightened guy or some words theoretically spoken by buddha.

please?
  • right view (samma ditthi) and wrong view (miccha ditthi) are formal terms in the Pali teachings

that is all

with metta

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011

Quite an easy question: 8-fold path of course.
    :D
  • right view guides the 8-fold path

if we do not get it right then our practise of the morality & meditation in the 8-fold path may be misguided

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    agreed, right view is both start and result of the path
  • Morality and meditation create conditions for a clear receptive mind. Meditation deepens right view into greater embodiment free of doubt I have read. Morality prevents a false intellectual right view. If we are enlightened we will display appropriate compassion and morality. It is correct that the eightfold path is preparation for right view and the true start I have heard.
    edited April 2011
    Jeffrey

You are mixing up 'right view' with 'insight' (vipassana)

To practise morality, one must have the right view

For example, if we do a business deal and believe: "By following 227 precepts, I will surely attain jhana", this is wrong view

Such a view cannot eradicate obstacles to meditation, such as sensual desire

For precepts to bear fruit, one must have right view about harming & non-harming

Or if we do a business deal and believe: "By following 227 precepts, I will surely attain jhana & gain a good rebirth", this is wrong view

Believing in rebirth rather than final impermanence will not assist meditation because believing in rebirth perpetuates "becoming"

To commence with right view is very important

If we are compassionate, we ensure others do not delude themselves

The eightfold path is not a preparation for right view

Right view is a preparation for the eightfold path

In fact, prior to right view, is faith in the Buddha

If we reject the Buddha's teachings, then the path will be difficult

Kind regards

Of those, right view is the forerunner. And how is right view the forerunner? In one of right view, right resolve comes into being. In one of right resolve, right speech comes into being. In one of right speech, right action... In one of right action, right livelihood... In one of right livelihood, right effort... In one of right effort, right mindfulness... In one of right mindfulness, right concentration... In one of right concentration, right knowledge... In one of right knowledge, right release comes into being. Thus the learner is endowed with eight factors, and the arahant with ten.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html

• DD,

I think there is some miscommunication. I agree that the 8 fold path is not preparation. What I meant was that when mere mortals have wrong view but are trying to follow the eightfold path that is preparation. If they are busy in domestic violence it is unlikely they will see correctly due to being overwhelmed by anger. As an example. Of course anger and loss could be just the thing for motivation but thats a separate thing.

I wasn't touching rebirth in my statements :)

My point on morality is not explicitly stated in the suttas. My not being a scholar I am of course not sure if it is at least. But I reason that buddha displayed appropriate behaviour. And thus if someone has an ego that they have attained realization. You know how some become deluded. One litmus test is that if they find a lot of moral problems. If they are harming others it is unlikely that they have attained the same realization as the Buddha since Buddha action was appropriate. This is a circumstantial argument of course. One could imagine that the buddhas morality was as inconsequential as the color of his eyes, but I doubt that. I think it is germane to enlightenment that one is compassionate. In the mahayana the cultivation of compassion is via generosity, morality, patience, endurance, joyful effort, concentration and stability. All of these are not actually existent. They are all dependently arisen. The insight supports these and the insight is insght into the truth of how things do exist.

So how does this relate to right view? Right view is how you see when you have insight.
    edited April 2011
    To me, it sounds like you are too caught up in projecting & judging externally

I understand in the mahayana, guru & lama worship are central, but not all buddhism is like this

The first time i lived in a monastery, on one occassion, I was walking past & started looking at the big guru while he was eating

He obviously noticed me eye balling him so he started tossing his orange peels all over the floor, making a mess everywhere

:lol:
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    how about this?

worldly Right View is 'doing good, avoiding bad,and meditation on Dhamma (contemplating on five aggregates, three dhamma seal, six sense bases-external/internal, four elements etc.)'
    in short we practices Eight-fold path

this practice is the cause which brings the effect of Noble Right View
    (one sees the reality of the world which means one awakes from the dream)

once one is with the Noble Right View (samma dhitti - sothapanna - Dhamma chakku)

(CHAKKUNG UDAPADI)

one practices Noble Eight-fold Path which leads to liberation

how is this practice should go?

there should be effort ( samma viriya) to be mindful/remind (samma sathi) the 'Noble Right View' (samma dhitti)

(NGANANG UDAPADI)

which result in Right Thought (samma sankappa)

when there is Right Thought the words, deeds and livelihood get correct

(PANGNA UDAPADI)

is there greed, hate or delusion now?

NO

so this is liberation (vimutti)

(VDYA (vijja) UDAPADI)

when (not time) one knows (awareness) of this (not a thing) there is (not a place) liberation (not a thing)

this is vimutti ngna darsana

(ALOKO UDAPADI)

appreciate comments,
    thanks
  • Wrong view = leads to suffering, pain and stress to oneself, others or both.
    Right view = another topic for discussion :D
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    Wrong view = leads to suffering, pain and stress to oneself, others or both.

Relative to Nibbana, all other views apart from Noble Right View are wrong views

in that case, even the Worldly Right View is also Wrong View
    because one does not know
    All conditions are impermanent, and suffering
    and
    All conditions and nibbana ( All Dhamma) are non-self

• I like your story with the orange peel. But I think he was being compassionate by the peels perhaps. He was laughing at you :)
    edited April 2011
    He was not laughing at anyone. He was teaching without words: "Look within, not without".

• Wrong view = leads to suffering, pain and stress to oneself, others or both.

Relative to Nibbana, all other views apart from Noble Right View are wrong views

in that case, even the Worldly Right View is also Wrong View
    because one does not know
    All conditions are impermanent, and suffering
    and
    All conditions and nibbana ( All Dhamma) are non-self

You are right. Not knowing those conditions would be wrong views. If one is virtuous (upholds precepts), is focused and consistent(practices meditation), and discerns over all things(uses wisdom), I am sure that they will begin to have "Noble Right View".