Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Muddy water metaphor

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited September 2004 in Faith & Religion
My professor gave a great analogy between Christianity and Buddhism last week:

To each, the world is similar to a glass of muddy water - full of impurities. Christians deal with this by actively trying to filter the water, namely through Jesus. Buddhists just let the water alone... and let the dirt settle to the bottom.

Does anyone else find that as apt as I do? :) A bit of a simplification to be sure, but I still think it fits the two philosophies rather well.

Comments

• edited September 2004
    Hey thats pretty clever there professor keebler ;)
  • Bumpin'
  • can the mud water be poop water?

speaking of poop: if poop is our challenges, do we put them in a pile and let them smell bad, or do we bury it and let it be fertilized and let a flower grow on top over a bit of time?

gotta love the poop analogies.
  • just flush it!
  • Originally no poop or glass of muddy water. Meow.
  • Can we please stop bumping seven year old threads? They are so dusty. We have many newer topics that are much fresher.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I know, I find it ludicrous.
    We need glasses of fresh water.
    What's the point of stirring up a stagnant pool?
  • i for one was happy to read this quote.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm happy you're happy. But reviving a 7-year-old thread actually hasn't achieved anything further in the discussion, when we've got a whole heap of others going on. Jeesh, just more stuff for us to watch....
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well, I'm actually glad this was bumped. I like that metaphor. First time I heard it.
  • Me too, I rather like it. And Federica; If you're hard-pressed to watch things, why not take some of the people you know and like here temp mods, to see how it works out?