Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eyes watering during sitting

edited January 2010 in Meditation
Often within the first 5 minutes of a sitting my eyes will water. My emotions at this time are always neutral. At no other time during the day does this occur.

Has anybody else here experienced anything similar? If so, to what do you attribute this?

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Well, do you meditate with your eyes open? Completely? Partially? Do you blink? XD
  • edited January 2010
    this used to happen to me sometimes.
    i have no idea why but if you are resting your eyes comfortably and it still happens its might be something that just goes away.
    thats what happened for me.
  • edited January 2010
    Well, do you meditate with your eyes open? Completely? Partially? Do you blink? XD

My eyes are closed. The watering is a temporary distraction. Once I wipe my eyes I am able to return to sitting still.
  • edited January 2010
    this used to happen to me sometimes.
    i have no idea why but if you are resting your eyes comfortably and it still happens its might be something that just goes away.
    thats what happened for me.

This has only been happening for about the last month. My practice is now a bit longer than 4 years and I don't ever remember it happening previously.
  • edited January 2010
    i think it has to do with the body loosening up. your lacrimal glands are being drained, perhaps because they were previously dammed up and congested, which hints at a congestion deeper down the river. this happens to me most times i meditate, actually.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Or it could be strong incence smoke?
  • edited January 2010
    Max H wrote: »
    This has only been happening for about the last month. My practice is now a bit longer than 4 years and I don't ever remember it happening previously.
    i still think its probably just a phase and will pass before too long.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Max H wrote: »
    My eyes are closed. The watering is a temporary distraction. Once I wipe my eyes I am able to return to sitting still.

no need to wipe eyes just be mindful about it and continue meditation

sometimes happiness brings tears (water) into eyes
  • edited January 2010
    Hi, I'm going with Pietro's post. I imagine it as a physical thing. I also have other stuff happening; like sinuses opening and draining, along with tears. I just sit with this stuff happening just like any other stuff happening during sitting.

What an opportunity to to rest tranquility in the midst of stuff happening with tender awareness. :lol:
  • Hi..checking the internet about eyes watering during meditation. One post asked whether it might be due to incense smoke. I experience watering eyes during meditation even in absence of candles or incense. I take it to be a positive thing, but would like to see if anyone really knows why this occurs. I don't find it distracting and it doesn't detract from my meditation.
  • I have chronic allergies and other health problems, so when I sit, I have to wipe my eyes, sometimes blow my nose, cough, swallow and all manner of things. I generally regard the first 5 minutes of any meditation to be my settling time, so I try to relax and I don't do any proper meditation.

During meditation I used to be incredibly disturbed by an itching nose, or watering eyes, or a spasm in my hand, or a numb foot. I have learned however to relieve these minor discomforts without it disturbing my focus. It is almost as if someone else is wiping my eyes or moving my hand to stop the arthritis spasm of whatever. I don't pay much attention to it.

Since I realised that absolute stillness was not essential (useful if you can do it, but not essential), and have learned to accept that physically, sitting for me is hard work, it's gone much better for me.

I am reminded of the story I was told by a Ch'an guy, about Master Sheng-Yen, who had kidney disease for some years before he died. He used to sit in a chair on the dialysis suite while nurses hooked him up to the machines, took blood samples, checked his blood pressure, checked the circulation in his feet etc.

He would often appear to wake up from a doze, obey the nurses instructions, and go back into a doze again. Only he wasn't dozing, he was meditating. But after a few years, he no longer found these intrusions difficult - he could just switch from meditating one second, to interacting with the nurses the next. Master Sheng-Yen admitted that this was a difficult skill to learn, but I find it inspirational that he succeeded. I makes my pathetic excuses ("But I can't meditate - there's too much distraction) sound totally wimpy.

Anyway, sorry to go on. In short, wipe your eyes and carry on. Don't pay attention to it, unless you want to pay attention to it.

• IF your heart is OPEN
    This occurs when complimentary opposite emotions reach a place of balance.
    You are INSPIRED ( in spirit) ( MIDDLE ROAD)
    It can happen at anytime....
    I actually share process to reach this place of non judgement, non attatchement
    transcending duality, to experience the exprience UNITY...

you used the word NEutral...

JC
  • this happens to me when i meditate with open eyes and my mind starts to still, whenever this happens i close my eyes half way and look downward and continue from there
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    This has happened to before too.
    I think it's ego dying or I am breaking down my old self?
    What do you guys think?
  • edited January 2011
    This has happened to before too.
    What do you guys think?
    Does make sense :vimp: the eyes were lubricating itself due to good practice for your case. Ya should not pay attention, normal wiping or just leave it :eek2:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Yea, I usually let me fall down...
    Thanks Wilfred!
  • This always happens to me. Except it is normally towards the end of meditations. Very interesting question now that I think about it, because I have always just shrugged it off. I figured it must be a physical thing. If the eyes were straining would it cause this? Perhaps there is a light on and it slowly dries the eyes out even though they are closed? Maybe our eyes always naturally water but we don't notice it. It gets dried up with the eyes open. We wipe them without thinking. Don't our eyes water when we are asleep? That's why we get guooo in the corners?

Perhaps we are close to being enlightened?
  • This has happened to before too.
    What do you guys think?
    Nope not a chance. Sounds like hope, ego wishing for something to be true. Wanting to see signs. I think once you don't see any signs you have finally found the sign that you don't see. That makes perfect sense right?
  • From the Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra:
    The Buddha said to Subhuti, "In a place where there is something that can be distinguished by signs, in that place there is deception. If you can see the signless nature of signs, then you can see the Tathagata."