Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jealousy: Men vs. Women (vs. study results)

edited January 2010 in General Banter
A recent study was published concerning the difference in how jealous men are versus women. (More info at http://www.psychologicalscience.org/media/releases/2010/levy.cfm.)

I have a hypothesis to propose, and would like some feedback.

A man is more jealous of the sexual relations their long-term female partner has had than the woman is jealous of the man's past relationships. Does anyone disagree that this is normally the case?

If that is the case, I propose it is in the difference of the meaning of those sexual relationships that is the root cause. Men tend to seek out meaningless sexual relationships (as a tendency, not a rule) while women tend to seek out an emotional attachment.

If a man fears these perceived attachments that may exist as a possible cause of his loss of said long-term relationship, jealousy is born of that fear. I would say women experience the same thing, but just to a lesser extent as they know most sexual relationships a man has in his lifetime have no meaning or attachment.

Comments?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I suggest you post this on a relationships forum.

This really is of no consequence here, because Buddhist practise doesn't differentiate between the sexes, and all discussion of the above is really related to unhealthy clinging and attachment. Something we really are actually working to rid ourselves of, not concentrate or focus upon.

We actually find discussions of this kind fairly irrelevant, not to say mildly amusing..... even those amongst us in relationships, are not working on these kinds of levels.

Try a website called "Armchair Advice" or "Loveshack". You'll get more interest.
    Truly you will.

best of luck. :)
  • edited January 2010
    lol, I see your point. I wasn't posting it just for Buddhists though, as many who come here have not made that commitment. I read the article, saw there was a "Current Events" forum and thought it might be appropriate for discussion.

I apologize for my error.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I take your point, but most who come here - whether they've made the commitment or not - are here because they either wish to begin practising Buddhism, or are at least curious in a positive way...
    (Those who have previously come to 'convert', bait and antagonise have usually met with a mysterious and unexplained 'death'.....:wow: :D )

I'm not saying this to sound 'superior' or holier-than-thou. I actually do appreciate I might be coming across that way, and it's not intended.
    But because this is what you might call a specifically-focussed forum, we would probably discuss this topic with a view to actually abandoning such premises, as opposed to examining them.
    It's rather like going into a forum dedicated to growing orchids, and asking them whether people think plastic flowers are better than silk ones....

I'm sure in the right environment, the question and discussion would be very pertinent, animated and productive. I'm just not sure this is it.

Thanks for understanding.....

Just as an aside (and not that you'll meet a mysterious and unexplained death - :lol: ) have you been viewing Buddhism with a view to practising it, or are you curious in a positive way? :)
  • edited January 2010
    As per your question, I've already realized the truth of Buddhism for myself. Ironically I didn't first dedicate a lot of my life to walking the path (I studied Buddhism off and on for about 6 months, but never committed to it); I wasn't prepared for realization, expecting or attempting to attain it. I was just trying to enter absorption so as to know if the path was as true as I had begun to suspect, nothing more. What I am now is just a follower of the true nature of reality; if I did seek to attain Nibbana, I know where to look. For now, I'm more interested in helping others.
  • edited January 2010
    Any possibility we could just transfer this thread to the General Banter forum? It would be more appropriate there.
  • edited January 2010
    I see we're there now. Thank you very much. ;)
    edited January 2010
    Post #5 - thank you for your candour.
    Post #6 - done. :)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the link, Aldrisang. I thought it was very interesting, and no more irrelevant than several other threads.
  • edited January 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, Aldrisang. I thought it was very interesting, and no more irrelevant than several other threads.
    Yeah the link is interesting. It was more the hypothesis I was proposing I was wondering about. ;) Comments on either are welcome though, since it isn't set in stone.
    edited January 2010
    You see....?
    One thing I am unfailingly right about, is that I'm often wrong...... :D
  • edited January 2010
    :D
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I liked the link but what I thought was interesting is that psycology as in other aspects of modern medicine looks at symptoms and tries to alleviate those as opposed to starting at the root of the problem and fixing it from there. In this case they look at a symptom (jealousy). This article reaffirms the four noble truths to me.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Aldrisang wrote: »
    Men tend to seek out meaningless sexual relationships (as a tendency, not a rule) while women tend to seek out an emotional attachment.
    I think you've got a couple of unexamined assumptions here. First, the fact that some behavior has no meaning for you doesn't mean that it has no meaning for the people who are engaging in it.

Second, people who want sex without emotional relationships tend to seek partners who want the same thing. Having sex with people who want relationships tends to create entanglements, and lying creates problems of its own. So the count of men having sex without emotional relationships must be roughly equal to the count of women having sex without emotional relationships.
    Aldrisang wrote: »
    If a man fears these perceived attachments that may exist as a possible cause of his loss of said long-term relationship, jealousy is born of that fear. I would say women experience the same thing, but just to a lesser extent as they know most sexual relationships a man has in his lifetime have no meaning or attachment.
    The women I've talked to about this take their partners' infidelities in stride because they themselves have experience with casual sex and their _own_ experience tells them that casual sex doesn't threaten a long term emotional bond. I would have to say that women who don't have personal experience with casual sex are less likely to accept it in their partners. I think a weakness of your theory is that you are attributing a belief towards women while assuming that women don't have experience that would support the belief. Generally, both males and females feel some threat from both emotional and physical infidelity, but we tend to be more accepting of things we've done ourselves and discovered didn't destroy the relationship.

By way of example, I once had a girlfriend who had a couple of BDSM lesbian relationships before we met. This is a lifestyle in which women routinely engage in sex and sex play with their friends' partners.
  • edited January 2010
    I wouldn't call it a theory; in fact I believe I called it a hypothesis. It was just something to throw out there. We all have different experiences with relationships, and know different people who have had experiences we know of as well, so it's a subject open to much debate. I'm not sure it'd help anything if we figured it out, come to think of it.