Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sleeping issues

edited March 2010 in Philosophy
Anyone have trouble sleeping due to the mind wanting to enter a state of meditation or absorption? I had to take sleeping pills last night. It's difficult. When I meditate I do it by observance of breath and it happens quickly, so I'm just trying to sleep and not think of anything but I end up in a meditative state regardless.

Now it's getting worse as I'm sinking into a deeper state where it feels like my entire body is suffused with light and I feel that utter bliss all over again while I'm there.

Any advice? I'm going to go lay down again, for the third time...

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Hmm guess not. I must just be a freak after all. Probably the result of an overactive mind my entire life leading up to finding Buddhism. Now my mind is being overactive about the wrong things when I'm trying to sleep. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Aldrisang,

If you lay down and count your breaths, it is probably a little like counting sheep.: ^ )

If some state happens, looking at that state is a thought, so just go back to watching and counting breaths, and relax into it.

Trying to sleep is a forcing that will wake you up, and make you worry. Don't try anything, just accept everything. If you are tired enough, you will drift off.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited January 2010
    That's the trouble. I don't count my breaths (in fact I don't count in meditation at all, simply stay mindful of the breathing in and out) when I'm trying to sleep. I eventually do get to sleep, but I have to keep pulling myself out of a meditative state that I'm not trying to get into in the first place. And no I'm not trying to be mindful of my breathing either. ;)

I'm not as worried about it now. I probably wasn't as tired as I could've been. There were other nights that I was able to fall asleep as soon as I closed my eyes. In any case I'll figure it out. Thanks for replying.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    there is nothing to be worried as far as i see

if it seems to be the mind wanting to enter into the absoption state just let it be

just provide a bit of command 'the duration' that you want it to come out

i think you have heard about the 'panca vccitha' (five ways of controlling the absorption state)

(this situation is a sure sign that you have had the meditation practise before)
  • edited January 2010
    Ooo ooo, by the way, was just reading a PDF called "Ways and Means into the Jhanas", and I found out it's the first jhana my mind was trying to get into when I was trying to sleep. That's why it seemed "white" and full of bliss. Go figure. I guess it's the detachment from self, since apparently that's what makes a difference in how difficult the jhanas are to attain.

Maybe I'll just go for it and try to enter the first jhana when I'm awake now. ;)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Aldrisang wrote: »
    Ooo ooo, by the way, was just reading a PDF called "Ways and Means into the Jhanas", and I found out it's the first jhana my mind was trying to get into when I was trying to sleep. That's why it seemed "white" and full of bliss. Go figure. I guess it's the detachment from self, since apparently that's what makes a difference in how difficult the jhanas are to attain.

Maybe I'll just go for it and try to enter the first jhana when I'm awake now. ;)

do you mean awake or AWAKE?

if it is capital AWAKE is there any need to try?

just chek is it awake or AWAKE :):)

by the way, it is not bad if you can find Aj Brahm's 'Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond' read first few chapters again

may be within very short duration you skip first few steps before absoprtion
  • edited January 2010
    I think they're necessary. I meant awake as in physically awake, though I guess it would mean both in this case. Further insight into how the mind works that is provided by entering the jhanas could only be beneficial, right?
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2010
    entering jhana be more beneficial because it helps to suppress the five defilements for a long period of time than just have a concentrated mind (samadhi)

entering to a jhana (absorption) is a higher level of concentrated mind

after the AWAKEN mind we have to keep up the effort to have a mindfulness and have a concentrated mind until we can have a 'unbroken mindfulness'
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If you lay down and count your breaths, it is probably a little like counting sheep.: ^ )

If some state happens, looking at that state is a thought, so just go back to watching and counting breaths, and relax into it.

This is so hard, though, because the mind is so dull upon awakening, it is easy to be swept along by the conditioning.
  • edited January 2010
    5 Bells,

Re: S9: If some state happens, looking at that state is a thought, so just go back to watching and counting breaths, and relax into it.

5B: This is so hard, though, because the mind is so dull upon awakening, it is easy to be swept along by the conditioning.

S9: Quite so, but with persistence, certain improved mental habits become established. Good habits can sometimes carry you over the bumps.

You don’t actually need to wipe out what is happening, but you simply allow it to float by you and not to grab onto it. Breath acting like a raft to keep you out of the water (of thought). All of these thoughts are like dreams. Paying little attention to thoughts/states and simply allowing them actually takes away their fuel. Thoughts live on attention, burrowing their life from it.

Often when I wake up at night, I had a wicked migraine. Pain can be very compelling and grabs you by the neck, saying, “Hey I’m here, and I’m important.” I have found that seeing this pain as just one more dream, and not magnifying it with emotional response, allows me to let go of the pain and to drift off to sleep more rapidly than earlier in my history. This is a blessing.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I never have problems sleeping. I just lie down and go to sleep.
  • edited February 2010
    I intended to try entering the first jhana a couple of weeks ago now, but had put it off. I finally put forth the effort around 4am this morning and spent 3-4 hours in absorption before pulling myself out; felt like someone could've cut my leg off and I wouldn't have noticed. Think I could've spent a lot more time in the first jhana, didn't feel any compulsion to leave that state until other people woke up and I made the conscious decision to do so.

So very, very peaceful.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Aldrisang wrote: »

So very, very peaceful.

the best time to check 'Have done what has to be done'

and

if the answer is 'No'

then

go for 'Dhamma Vicaya', the second of 'saptha bodhi anga -sapthabojjanga'
  • edited March 2010
    stephen, i think you're pulling our collective legs which is ok with me.
  • edited March 2010
    It's all taken care of now armando. Surprised to see any more activity on this old thread. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen,

These threads seem to have a life of their own.

“Ain’t over until they are over. ; ^ )

So often, even months later, someone will come by and be touch by what was said…hopefully in a good way.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Armando,

You are probably just kidding about Stephen "pulling our leg" about what he experienced while meditating. It was just too tempting for you, to play off his mentioning "legs" to let it go without a wink. ; ^ )
    or two ; ^ ) ; ^ )

That being said, I can’t even imagine Stephen "pulling our (collective) leg" about something that is so important to him. He just doesn’t strike me as being that way…one little bit. : ^ )

Friendly regards,
    S9
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    entering jhana be more beneficial because it helps to suppress the five defilements for a long period of time than just have a concentrated mind (samadhi)
    right jhana does not suppress anything

:)
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Anyone have trouble sleeping due to the mind wanting to enter a state of meditation or absorption?
    this is not jhana

jhana has control; jhana is deep & subtle

often when a person meditates with very strong effort & enthusiam, it gives rise to momentary concentration with momentary rapture

this occurs due to strong supression and strong catharsis

momentary rapture is difficult to control for the novice meditator and difficulty in sleeping generally occurs

right jhana arises from right view

right view establishes the mind in letting go or abandonment rather than in supression

ajahn brahm's book is accurate guide to the preliminaries

• edited March 2010
    My sleeping issue is long since fixed, at least this one. I still do have trouble getting to sleep at a decent hour, but that kind of insomnia I'm used to. ;) A couple of weeks after I stopped having trouble, I did enter the jhana completely for the first time, so I'm fully aware of how far from the jhana my sleep issue was (yet, my mind was still moving in that direction at the time).
    edited March 2010
    I did enter the jhana completely for the first time,
    :rolleyes:

And because of that when I die, I will be reborn into a Brahma world...
  • edited March 2010
    Come again?
  • edited March 2010
    Dhamma,

I don’t think anyone here believes that some high-tension state, which includes many forms of repression, actually accompanies us into any jhana state. Jhana IS an intense release of this very tension or effort. However, the tension of extended and extreme effort towards concentration often precedes such a jhana state.

Yet, it is the release from intense tension, and it’s changing into a state of intense relaxation, which creates the very sensation of both physical release, and mental rapture.

Any feelings of control within a jhana state only returns when you begin the inevitable exit of said state. In fact, it is said that any attempt at control will insure your exit of the jhana.

Respectfully,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen,

I agree that the rapture of jhana is a state is so satisfying that we don’t seek change, which is what thoughts are all about; a constant desire for change into something more satisfying. This desire is born directly out of dissatisfaction.

I don’t believe that anyone would ever describe rapture as being a state of dissatisfaction.

Control is obviously a thought. Control what, if you are purely satisfied right where you are? I have seen it written that as a jhana starts to fade, for one reason or another, that we add pain to injury by trying to hold onto it. Holding on to it only slides us into tension, and insures our exit is assured.

We are however AWARE of this jhana as it is taking place. So something is present to it. It isn’t a black hole. What is this Awareness?

It is certainly not the ego, or our usual thought self.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    It's a stripped-down self. You've taken a lot away from it, mainly its concern with random and directed thoughts and its attachment to all of the sense-doors save one (hearing). There is still a self there, but one that is solely concerned with the pure bliss of the experience. What is that self? I'm sure that becomes more apparent as one becomes more awakened/enlightened.

When fully immersed in the jhana, there is no trying. Simply floating (if you will) in pure bliss/calm until something causes it to end. In my case, hearing people waking up and having the singular thought "time to come out".
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen,

S: It's a stripped-down self.

S9: Mind and her thoughts are the trying guys. Self is completely effortless. In a jhana the mind is concentrated on a task like hearing, and you slip out of the mind temporarily and sit blissfully beside the river. At this moment, you are witnessing your "Original Face," before mind convinced you that you were the mind, disrupting tranqility. Sitting beside the river is a glimpse of Enlightenment.

S: There is still a self there, but one that is solely concerned with the pure bliss of the experience.

S9: Yes, of course, and momentarily you have dis-identified with the ego story of who you are.

S: What is that self? I'm sure that becomes more apparent as one becomes more awakened/enlightened.

S9: Indeed.

S: When fully immersed in the jhana, there is no trying. Simply floating (if you will) in pure bliss/calm until something causes it to end. In my case, hearing people waking up and having the singular thought "time to come out".

S9: Yes, when the mind wandered from its task or purpose to concentrate, it also grabbed you from sitting beside the water, contentedly, and throw you back into the waters of the mind…noise.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    S9: I'm sure those points are part of what it is expected one will come to realize from having the jhana experiences. I imagine it's something like the realization one has that takes them to a new level of awakening/enlightenment. Further and deeper jhana experiences give one a singularly unique direct experience into what the mind, and the conception of self, actually is.

BTW, it's always nice having conversations with someone who doesn't just quote texts. You actually seem to understand for yourself, and that's what really counts. :)
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen,

A very wise friend once told me, "Don't just read things. Try to change whatever you read into your own words, if you ever expect to make them yours."

And:

"Simply brushing over words with your eyes, doesn’t always make you understand what you have read."

Those little pieces of advice were the beginning of my philosophical search to understand more completely.

Later Buddha said to me, "Don’t just take my word for it. Find this as a personal experience, within yourself." This changed mere conceptual understanding of the truth into actually 'living from' a deep truth.

Anyone who believe that they can gain the same deep insights, by simply reading someone else’s words or hearing about their experiences,is sadly mistaken. Not only that, but they would be cheating themselves.

Thank you for your kind words, my new e-friend,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    S9: You speak my language, and I don't mean English. :) May you be well, friend.
    edited March 2010
    I don’t think anyone here believes that some high-tension state, which includes many forms of repression, actually accompanies us into any jhana state. Jhana IS an intense release of this very tension or effort. However, the tension of extended and extreme effort towards concentration often precedes such a jhana state.
    Having sex requires great effort and after sex there is great release.

But jhana is not like that.

Real jhana is cultivated from openness of mind.

Jhana is "release" that arises from preceding "release".

Thus, your sexual metaphor is inaccurate.

Not one poster on the internet who declares that have attained jhana has attained jhana.

The Buddha said in the texts:
    "And how are the seven factors for awakening developed & pursued so as to bring clear knowing & release to their culmination? There is the case where a monk develops mindfulness as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment. He develops analysis of qualities as a factor for awakening... persistence as a factor for awakening... rapture as a factor for awakening... serenity as a factor for awakening... concentration as a factor for awakening... equanimity as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment.
    edited March 2010
    Any feelings of control within a jhana state only returns when you begin the inevitable exit of said state. In fact, it is said that any attempt at control will insure your exit of the jhana.
    Jhana is complete control. Whilst the mind has abandoned all controlling, the mind is totally in control of that abandonment.

It is like having full control over remaining silent.

I trust my paradoxical explanation is clear.

One who attains jhana has full mastery of entering, remaining and exiting jhana (and then sleeping at will).

edited March 2010
    I agree that the rapture of jhana is a state is so satisfying...
    The jhana state is not satisfying.

One who enters jhana has cultivated such calmness of mind that the factors of jhana will be discerned as disturbing.

The mind in jhana can discern the disturbing rapture from the Nibbana element.

Jhana is automatic pleasure from the nervous system arising from the liberation of the most subtle neurons. But it is not "satisfying".

To regard jhana as satisfying is wrong view in Buddhism.

The Buddha taught it is impossible for one of right view to regard any conditioned thing as satisfying.

It follows a mind that feels satisfaction in rapture cannot be regarded as a stream-enterer.

Stream entry will generally occur on the level of 'neighbourhood' concentration (jhana is 'attainment' concentration).

It follows those minds that find rapture satisfying have experienced 'momentary' concentration.

In short, if a mind feels satisfied with rapture arising from meditation, that rapture is not from jhana but instead from a lower level of concentration, generally, momentary concentration.

• edited March 2010
    Not one poster on the internet who declares that have attained jhana has attained jhana.

That sounds like a very accurate assessment, DD. I've often come to that conclusion myself.

washing.gif

edited March 2010
    Come again?
    "I"

:eek:
    edited March 2010
    There is still a self there, but one that is solely concerned with the pure bliss of the experience.
    This is not jhana.

I recommend you read Ajahn Brahm's book about jhana.

'Self' disappears in jhana.

In fact, 'self' should have disappeared well before jhana.

The 'self' of a stream-enterer has disappeared when they are in meditation but a stream enterer has not reached jhana yet.

Thus - no stream entry and no jhana it seems.

:lol:

What is that self? I'm sure that becomes more apparent as one becomes more awakened/enlightened.
    You appear to be answering questions with questions which is not an answer.
    When fully immersed in the jhana, there is no trying. Simply floating (if you will) in pure bliss/calm until something causes it to end. In my case, hearing people waking up and having the singular thought "time to come out".
    Floating is a good start.

Keep practising letting go.

But your mind is still feeling a sense of 'self' and you mind has not described ekkagattacitta upon the sign (nimitta).

Sorry. But no jhana and no cigar.

Just bragging & boasting & concocting spiritual pride and self-views about imaginary attainments.

Just infatuation or craving.

Worse of all - false speech, false testimony & false declaration.

In short, no sila, no samma samadhi and no panna. No path.

The Buddha, our trustworthy guide & spiritual friend has advised in SN 48.9 that right concentration makes 'release' its sole object (vossaggarammanam karitva).

'Vossagga' means 'tossing back' or 'relinquishment'.

:smilec:
    edited March 2010
    I imagine it's something like the realization one has that takes them to a new level of awakening/enlightenment. Further and deeper jhana experiences give one a singularly unique direct experience into what the mind, and the conception of self, actually is.

BTW, it's always nice having conversations with someone who doesn't just quote texts. You actually seem to understand for yourself, and that's what really counts. :)
    Sounds like two massive egos having a conversation. :lol:

If you cannot understand the texts, your mind is not awakened or is enlightened.

Your conversation here is the wrong way, the unskilful way.

It is boasting about imagined attainments rather than expounding the path.

The path is rooted in abandoning clinging to things as "good", "bad", "attainment", "I", "mine".

Your posts are full of grasping at mere phenomena.

This is why your mind fights the texts.

Because you are not willing to abandon the view "I have attained jhana".

The Buddha advised jhana is rooted in seclusion or aloneness (viveka).

It requires no verification from others and no sharing with others.

• edited March 2010
    Dhamma,

D: Having sex requires great effort and after sex there is great release. But jhana is not like that.

S9: Of course not, sex is a physical release.

However I am led to believe in readings about Tantric methods, that they bring you to some very good places for noticing some of the higher states of mind, and even what is beyond the mind, very similar to meditation. There is something about such extreme relaxation that is completely useful in these areas.

D: Real jhana is cultivated from openness of mind.

S9: I would say rather that ‘openness of the mind’ is a byproduct of such concentrated effort.

D: Jhana is "release" that arises from preceding "release."

S9: No doubt there are deeper and deeper levels of this concentration, and stronger sensations of openness of mind, as jhana is a skill and it grows like any muscle with constant training.

I believe the highest benefit that comes out of jhana is the confidence it builds that your are in fact not the mind or any of her attributes. This is more than simply relaxation either physical or the mental. I believe this both acquaints us with, and rewards us with, insights into the real possibility of ‘Waking Up’ completely and once and for all.

D: Thus, your sexual metaphor is inaccurate.

S9: Actually it was not a sexual metaphor. I was likening it to a creative breakthrough that very often comes after great intellectual effort in a certain direction. Many of the great discoveries down through history attribute themselves to such events.

D: Not one poster on the Internet who declares that have attained jhana has attained jhana.

S9: You can only say this with some conviction, because you have already declared that jhana is not an attainment, in your humble opinion.
    ; ^ )

But whether it is an attainment, or a by-product, is beside the point. Many people have certainly experienced jhana personally. Word games certainly cannot take this away from them.
    : ^ (

Have you experienced jhana, yourself, on any or many levels, and also much of what you profess to understand so thoroughly, or are you basing most of this information upon your personal readings?

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Dhatu, if you think that personal attacks against me because you think you know better are the Buddhist way, we have nothing to discuss. While I continue on down the path, you may well remain stuck where you are. I wish it were otherwise, but many who put forth effort into belief rather than wisdom end right where they begin.

Consider this my last reply to you, because I will not take on the insurmountable task of convincing a wall of anything. :) Release yourself from your obsession is the last advice I can give you until you are able to do so.
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen,

I could tell from your words that you had actually experienced a break-through of some kind. This is probably because, I have ‘been there/done that’ in a similar fashion.

Whether some self-proclaimed expert comes by, and believes that what you had was a not a Real jhana, or that you simply got hoodwinked by your ego self, matters very little in the long run. Because in your heart of hearts, you KNOW what you experienced. : ^ )

Trust in your own experience, and continue to travel on your own intuitional path, as this intention towards your own truth IS your Buddha Nature, or what some have called your “Inner Guru.”
    If there is anything more to learn, or deepened, it will certainly become clear in it own due time.

But, if you lose trust in your own, personal, inner direction, that would be a Great loss.
    : ^ (

Friendly Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    S9: I'm with you. I just have to withdraw from trying to help someone because they don't want the help, rather than frustrate myself. As practicing Buddhists, we must remember to practice Right Speech, and that means letting it go. In no other religion is it so important to "practice what you preach". If we can't at least do this, then we're either not Buddhists or very very poor ones. ;)

Thanks again for your kind, and wise, words.