Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jewish Buddhists

edited August 2010 in Faith & Religion
I was just wondering, are there any Jewish Buddhists here, or JUBUs, as they're called. I only recently came across the term, when I started reading 'The Jew in the Lotus: A Poet's Re-Discovery of Jewish Identity in Buddhist India' by Rodger Kamenetz (which is really great, BTW), I liked the comparisons the author draws (or rather other people, as it describes his journey, along with other Jews, to visit the Dalai Lama) between Judaism and Buddhism, I also learnt a bit about the Kabbalah too.

For myself, my Mum is from a Jewish background, but, she's non-practicing, and is more Atheist than anything (or, Agnostic might describe her better), so, I was never raised in the religion, but, I kind of like learning about it.

Anyway, just wanted to see if there were any JUBUs here, if you are, how do you combine Jewish and Buddhist practice?.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jewish on my fathers side, which isnt jewish by some measure. There are a lot of Jubus, or Bujews. Another fellow here just posted a thread postulating a connection between Abraham and Early Buddhism. Its an interesting idea. There is definitely something in sync between Jewish people and Buddhism. I do not practice judaism culturally or religiously. But do recall as a child being told in no uncertain terms that conceptual idolatry was the issue, and that the concerns over physical idols were superficial. This maybe sets one right when approaching Buddhism where getting past subtle conceptual idolatry (subtle self views) is key.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'm what is called a "cultural Jew". My maternal grandmother is a Jew but hid it from her children after the war. Consequently, neither my mother nor her siblings were raised Jewish. Certain practises were handed down - eating kosher, everyone home by sundown on a Friday, but no explanation as to why.

Like Richard, I too am often not considered a "kosher" Jew and often urged by some of the more orthodox to to mikveh and become a "full Jew" (a term I find really REALLY offensive to ALL Jews).

I first came across the term JuBu whilst reading Lama Surya Das' "Awakening The Buddha Within" (one of my very fave Buddhist books). I guess technically I am, but I have never religiously identified with Judaism. I think I'm more correctly a Pagan Buddhist, but that's another thread entirely ;)

I do however, adhere to a strict kosher diet, which I think fits better into a Buddhist structure than most (barring the vegan vs carnivore argument that gets resurrected around here at times).

- Raven
  • edited July 2010
    Hello all -- nice to be here.

I'm a Jew by heritage. I'm only a second-generation American -- my grandparents came from Russia and Poland. I grew up in a multilingual, culturally Jewish but miltitantly anti-religious household.

I've been a Unitarian Universalist and a Buddhist for the past 20 years. Initially I associated with Shin (Pure Land), then Rissho Kosei-kai and most recently Nichiren Shu Buddhism (the last two both Lotus Sutra schools). Lately I've become non- (or is it post-) denominational and bring my Buddhist practice to my Unitarian Universalist community.

Why do I call myself a JuBu (or JuBUU, for those who like playing with Unitarian Universalist initials)? Simply because it is what I am. If I sat more lightly to my heritage -- if I didn't speak Yiddish or read Hebrew or light Sabbath candles, the "Ju" would be unnecessary.

Really good to be here!

Peter
  • edited August 2010
    My wife and I are practicing Jews and are learning more about Buddhism. We really like the teachings and writings of the Dalai Lama and I got a lot out of Pema Chodron's and Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's books.

In some ways, I see the Buddha's teachings as a "purification" of theism, eliminating the projections we make onto the reality of realities which cause suffering to ourselves and other sentient beings. The Buddha's aim (liberation from suffering for all) and method (personal enlightenment through education and discipline) are both very familiar to a Jewish student, and his use of silence in imparting his teachings is also very familiar to a student of Jewish meditation and mysticism.

Practicing charity and compassion are also very familiar to Jews who are guided by the rabbinic understanding of biblical instruction to emulate God, who is described in biblical and rabbinic literature as the paradigm of charitable and compassionate action.

I hope that helps! Just joined the board and enjoying it already. I hope everyone has a great day!
  • edited August 2010
    I've set up my Google alerts to go off when Jubu is active.

I identify as one. Amminadav, I am a student in the Shambhala tradition, founded by Chogyam Trungpa. Also, for the past dozen years, particularly associated with being a parent, perhaps, I'm also (probably more) active in my Jewish community.

As you write, this is not only an easy match, but a good one.

L'Shalom,

Ira Z.
  • edited August 2010
    my mother is of jewish heritage I believe that makes me jewish as well? a JUBU. lol
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    my mother is of jewish heritage I believe that makes me jewish as well? a JUBU. lol

Although this is not specifically on topic, your post, UD, raises a question that troubles many of us of Jewish descent: what is a Jew? Do we follow the rules of the Hassids, the orthodox, the liberals or, even, the Nuremberg Laws?