Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravada & Mahayana Buddhism - Big Difference ?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've been practicing Buddhism for a good 2 months now, but have postponed my deep readings momentarily, as my studies are too taxing right now.

Someone asked me though, what type of Buddhist I was... and I actually did not even know!?

Just to be practical I've started with the 8-fold path, but have no idea which will be best for me: Theravada or Mahayana ?

I believe Mahayana is associated with Tibet & the Dalai Lama, so I'm inclined to believe that that would be the most suitable for me.

Do I have to choose at some point? What's the "real" big difference?

THANX!

Comments

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi Hank

"Do I have to choose at some point?" My personal opinion is to take your time. You only started 2months ago, some people take between 5-40 years to find the path they prefer. Some people benefit from following only one school as it causes less confusion for them. Others prefer to mix and match. At the end of the day, it's your choice.
    "What's the "real" big difference?"
    Some say none, or that the differences are superficial, but for clarities sake...;
    Therevada is based on the Pali cannon which are the oldest buddhist texts. Someone from the therevada might be able to fill in on the practices etc.
    Mahayana is based on the sanskrit sutras. They were written down later than the Pali cannon and differ slightly. Within the mahayana path we find stories about Bodhisattvas (which are not in the Pali cannon), and stories of many different buddhas and buddha lands (like the Pure Land). The practice differs slightly.

I recommend to just take things easy, and try the different ones. Join some groups and get some experience. Best thing of all... enjoy the journey :)

Nios. :)
  • edited February 2010
    There is a lot of info in this thread:
    http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4346
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Oops. Thanks Shenpen :)
  • edited February 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Oops. Thanks Shenpen :)
    no problem and you're welcome.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I believe Mahayana is asscoiated with Tibet & the Dalai Lama, so I'm inclined to believe that that would be the best suitable for me.

This is how I view it: let's say you had to talk about the Dharma to three people. One is a kid, another one is someone who is close to dying and the other a ladies man in his early twenties. The approach will have to be very different right? The old person might be worried about death, and what they have accomplished or not, he might be in pain and so on. The kid could care less about emptiness, all he wants is some candy. The young man will also be open to other type of speech.

The schools differ as much as the societies they developed into. China had a more pragmatic culture, very down to earth, about the everyday man with everyday problems, and gave birth to Zen.

India had a rich philosophical and religious tradition, that stretched into Vajrayana, imbued with a lot of analytical meditations, huge pantheon and tantric practices.

In Theravada tradition countries you might have a different profile, which I don't know much about. It is direct and understandable.

The knowledge underlying them is probably the same.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks, Nios, Thanks, shenpen nangwa ...

I am relieved it's no big deal & that there's no rush either.
    Where does the Dalai Lama stand in all of this though?

Cheers!
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I am relieved it's no big deal & that there's no rush either.
    Where does the Dalai Lama stand in all of this though?

The Dalai Lama has imitations of many different Tibetan Traditions (he is a Gelug, but there is also Nyingma, Sakya and Kaguy) so I think he is fine :-)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Theravada is based upon the pali canon as it's sole scriptual source. It's no bs, cut-to-the-chase. Anapanasati and vipassana are key.

Mahayana covers numerous schools including various branches of Tibetan Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhism is heavy in culture and rituals. Zen is another form that is very straight forward and emphasizes zazen. Mahayana has Sanskrit scriptual sources outside the pali canon.

Given what you've shared about yourself the Thai forest tradition is one I would suggest look into. Zen might also be an option. They're all just different methods of teaching...

Of course you don't have to choose one. But it is good to learn the differences and not muddle different teachings.
  • edited February 2010
    The Dalai Lama has imitations of many different Tibetan Traditions (he is a Gelug, but there is also Nyingma, Sakya and Kaguy) so I think he is fine :-)

Actually the Dalai Lama holds and transmits the teachings of all major lineages of Tibetan Buddhism.
    He was raised primarily in a Gelug setting but once he was forced into exile he went out of his way to become a completely non-sectarian leader and teacher in the world of Tibetan Buddhism.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hank777 wrote: »
    I've been practicing Buddhism for a good 2 months now, but have postponed my deep readings momentarily, as my studies are to taxing right now.

Someone asked me though, what type of Buddhist I was... and I actually did not even know!?

Just to be practical I've started with the 8-fold path, but have no idea which will be best for me: Theravada & Mahayana ?

I believe Mahayana is asscoiated with Tibet & the Dalai Lama, so I'm inclined to believe that that would be the best suitable for me.

THANX!

If someone asks what type of Buddhist you are, just tell them you haven't decided yet.

Look into all the traditions, because they will all teach you something important. And when you find the tradition that is right for you, the one that "sings" to you, you will know.
  • edited February 2010
    If someone asks what type of Buddhist you are, just tell them you haven't decided yet.

Look into all the traditions, because they will all teach you something important. And when you find the tradition that is right for you, the one that "sings" to you, you will know.
    Hi FoibleFull, that is a great suggestion/answer. I will do just that. Frankly, I tell people I am not all that much up to speed with everything.

I am thinking of getting "Buddhism for Dummies" :D just to gather some knowledge for the time being, I feel that's almost my responsibility, because although I have the paperwork piled up, I am just not getting around to it right now... look forward to doing it though.

Maybe half an hour a day is more practical? :)
  • edited February 2010
    Hi FoibleFull, that is a great suggestion/answer. I will do just that. Frankly, I tell people I am not all that much up to speed with everything.

I am thinking of getting "Buddhism for Dummies" :D just to gather some knowledge for the time being, I feel that's almost my responsibility, because although I have the paperwork piled up, I am just not getting around to it right now... look forward to doing it though.

Maybe half an hour a day is more practical? :)

Books like "Buddhism for Dummies" usually have horribly inaccurate descriptions of Vajrayana.
    Just a word to the wise.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Hank,

My advice would be to begin investigations with the core teachings of Buddha in the Pali Canon and the Theravada Thai Forest tradition. Later maybe go on to investigate Mahayana/Vajrayana.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010
    If you want to check out Tibetan I suggest something by Pema Chodron. Or the Da Lai Lama. Or Sogyal Rinpoche's book of Living and Dying. That would be something from Kagyu, Gelug, and Nyingma. I don't know anything from Sakya.
  • edited February 2010
    First off... THANKS everybody, for all the great suggestions, this is really inspiring me to make a modest start!
    Given what you've shared about yourself the Thai forest tradition is one I would suggest look into. Zen might also be an option. They're all just different methods of teaching...
    Hmmm... what makes you say that ooMundus, I kindly wonder. Perhaps because I mentioned the Tibetan branch, it's just that I have such great respect for them.

To be honest, I do believe in living a worldly-live (i.e. practical life), and I mean this in the most respectful way possible. But a quick search suggest that Forest Monks live very monastic lives, so perhaps that's not my ticket, although I do like the ideology.
    Books like "Buddhism for Dummies" usually have horribly inaccurate descriptions of Vajrayana. Just a word to the wise.
    Is this true? I say it in a book-store the other day, so I wondered. Thing is, I am real facts man, and actually I like doing extensive research in matters that interest me, but right now (for the time being...) I am looking for a "quick fix" for lack of a better phrase. Sounds silly, but otherwise I don't feel credible myself.
    My advice would be to begin investigations with the core teachings of Buddha in the Pali Canon and the Theravada Thai Forest tradition. Later maybe go on to investigate Mahayana/Vajrayana.
    Perhaps this is a way to go, just the core teachings for the moment.

I read some Buddhadasa bhikkhu as suggested by oOMundus ... and found those very very interesting. Selecting can at times be chore though with so many sources available.... haha... but that's not a real complaint ;)

Thanks again !!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Are you in a large metropolitan area? There is probably a Western Insight Meditation (Vipassana) group nearby if that's the case. They're usually a pretty good place to start for someone new to Buddhism who isn't interested in the monastic bent of a specific sect.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Mmm I'm not sure why you bring up monks. :p I mean to refer to teachings and practices within that tradition rather than practice the life of monk in that tradition. I suggest it because you have a religeous background and you're more likely to find conflict in Tibetan traditions. Thai forest (Theravada) is the core of the teachings witout the cultural influences and such. But you know yourself better than I do. I have books from all traditions personally, but did eventually narrow my focus.
  • edited February 2010
    From my personal experience, don't cling to any school. They're all supposed to be pointing to the same thing.

I'd recommend starting with the Theravadan tradition. Why? More material on how to meditate, less of a rote style than the Ch'an/Zen schools, and how to manifest and progress through the jhanas. Also if your put off by the metaphysical (i.e. do you think the magic tricks of the Bible are silly?) the Mahayanan (and from what I understand) the Vajrayanan sutras will be more off putting.

I started with reading Ch'an / Zen books on meditation, and had bias towards wanting to learn from the Zen school. What I found was that they're very rote, and won't take you much beyond following the breath. Don't get me wrong, they mention immaterial states, but don't really paint a clean picture on how to get there.

In a week after being introduced to the Thai tradition I had what I believe the Zen school would call a satori, about non-self.

When you're ready to punch through the illusion of concept, start reading Ch'an texts.

What Buddha Taught (Writings of Thai Forest Monks)
    Buddha Net Ebook Library
  • edited February 2010
    Are you in a large metropolitan area? There is probably a Western Insight Meditation (Vipassana) group nearby if that's the case. They're usually a pretty good place to start for someone new to Buddhism who isn't interested in the monastic bent of a specific sect.
    Thanks for the idea, actually I approach Buddhism as I do my studies, I look for the reading-materials, and when I have acquired the knowledge I try to put it to practice. Maybe I ought to look into some group though... could be useful.
    Mmm I'm not sure why you bring up monks. :p I mean to refer to teachings and practices within that tradition rather than practice the life of monk in that tradition. I suggest it because you have a religeous background and you're more likely to find conflict in Tibetan traditions. Thai forest (Theravada) is the core of the teachings witout the cultural influences and such. But you know yourself better than I do. I have books from all traditions personally, but did eventually narrow my focus.
    Haha :P no you see, that's what I read: Thai forest Buddhists will choose to let go of all worldly matters and so I assumed this branch to be on a real monastic level. Your memory serves you correct though, I have a religious back-ground indeed, and your previous advice did not serve me wrong, so thanks for any suggestions.
    When you're ready to punch through the illusion of concept, start reading Ch'an texts.

What Buddha Taught (Writings of Thai Forest Monks)
    Buddha Net Ebook Library
    GeminiVI thanks for the links. I agree on the not-clinging to a school, as soon as you have to make a choice, you have to invest time in researching the particular school, they way they teach etc. it can be a tricky and time consuming activity. Still, I only say this because of my previous religious experiences, there are many suitable schools and it is a consideration for the foreseeable future.

NOTE:

Right now my focus would just be to study the EIGHT-FOLD PATH ... in an extensive way. (Although I have started reading up on some suggested readings too)

I just wonder what your opinions are on my approach, will it suffice for the moment. Does that make me a worthy Buddhists for the time being?

Thanks always!
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Hank
    There are a lot of differences between the 3 practices, (not forgetting Vajrayana) These differences are not just to do with the practices and methods, they are to do with one's motivation as well. Meeting the people in the group will tell you a lot about how the practice may fit you, and you the fit the practice.
    Go and experience a few groups for sure
    Best Wishes
  • edited February 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    If you want to check out Tibetan I suggest something by Pema Chodron. Or the Da Lai Lama. Or Sogyal Rinpoche's book of Living and Dying. That would be something from Kagyu, Gelug, and Nyingma. I don't know anything from Sakya.
    The Three Levels of Spiritual Perception by Deshung Rinpoche.
    Not only is this book an excellent look at the Sakya lineage but it is a hugely informative book on the foundations of Tibetan Buddhist practice in general.
  • edited February 2010
    GeminiVI wrote: »
    the Vajrayanan sutras will be more off putting.

There are no Vajrayana sutra's. The Vajrayana tradition uses Therevada and Mahayana sutras that comprise the foundation of the teachings and the Tantras of the Vajrayana that represent their main corpus of scriptural reference.
    The tradition is primarily transmitted from teacher to student.
  • edited February 2010
    My learned Shenpen
    Our friend is new to Buddhism and merely wanted to know about different "types" of Buddhism. Indeed you are correct in that the Vajrayana tradition uses Therevada and Mahayana Sutras but perhaps look further into this practice you will see a vast rich and profound practice and certainly worth recommending as an option to Hank.

Good wishes to you
  • edited February 2010
    Jomo wrote: »
    My learned Shenpen
    Our friend is new to Buddhism and merely wanted to know about different "types" of Buddhism. Indeed you are correct in that the Vajrayana tradition uses Therevada and Mahayana Sutras but perhaps look further into this practice you will see a vast rich and profound practice and certainly worth recommending as an option to Hank.

Good wishes to you

Oh, i highly recommend it.
    The all-inclusive nature of the Vajrayana/Tibetan tradition is one of its greatest attributes in my opinion.
    One can focus their practice on Vipassana if they want to without having to exclude the use any of the other methods offered by the vast and profound Vajrayana.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the idea, actually I approach Buddhism as I do my studies, I look for the reading-materials, and when I have acquired the knowledge I try to put it to practice. Maybe I ought to look into some group though... could be useful.
    Thinking back, I remember reading a wonderful book called Wake Up to Your Life by Ken McLeod that has an extensive system of meditations adapted from the Vajrayana tradition, written in a way that is quite helpful for Westerners. At the time, I was already immersed in my own meditation practice and so didn't want to give it up and try McLeod's way, but had I just begun, I think McLeod's system was the one that I would have chosen. It's probably the most exhaustive introduction to Buddhism in a Western setting that I've come across.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi again Hank,

Just as an additional comment about me recommending Theravada - I've been an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner for many years and have only recently realised how much I've missed out on with my readings of the Pali Canon. These investigations have revealed a great deal..... especially the way that later teachings in other traditions have been built around some of those core suttas.

I do think its important to know what Lord Buddha himself said in the earliest suttas that we have available .

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited February 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Hi again Hank,

Just as an additional comment about me recommending Theravada - I've been an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner for many years and have only recently realised how much I've missed out on with my readings of the Pali Canon. These investigations have revealed a great deal..... especially the way that later teachings in other traditions have been built around some of those core suttas.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

absolutely.
    I think people make a lot more out of the differences than there really are.
    The Pali sutta's are very interesting to read from the perspective of someone trained in the Tibetan tradition. I find them to be very supportive of the methods of practice that I have been taught in the Vajrayana context.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hank

I feel I maybe was unclear - hard to type long post on an iPod. But when people here have suggested Thai forest to you, that doesn't mean monastic life - just as recommending other traditions doesn't mean practicing within a monastary. Thai forest is Theravada, and focuses on meditation (anapanasati and vipassana). Basically it focuses on direct experience and insight rather than scholary study. Buddhadasa's teachings would fall in this category (although he ceased identifying as anything by the end of his life) as would ajahn chah and sumedho for example.

Renunciation is part of all traditions. But the vinaya is for monks not laypeople. Thai forest monastic lifestyle is suited to this but ultimately renunciation is a mental thing.

In any event I just wanted to clarify. Personally I've never chosen a specific school in eight years but do lean towards certain ones for various reasons. Take what's helpful wherever you find it. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Just to clarify, Hank, Vajrayana is a subset of Mahayana. The Theravada is the oldest form of Buddhism, as has been pointed out. The Mahayana is a later development that focuses on the bodhisattva ideal, and the Vajrayana was a further development that incorporated tantric techniques that originated in Hinduism (though they're not the same). This all took place historically in India, mostly at the great Buddhist university of Nalanda and similar institutions. Interestingly Afghanistan was once a major cradle of Theravada, being home to three of the early schools of Theravada. Now Nalanda and the Buddhist centers in Afghanistan are just ruins. Good lesson in impermanence...

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Well fellas, I am officially a Californian. I made the big trip a couple of weeks ago. We (my ex-girlfriend and I) left pennsylvania on monday morning. Our cross-country route took us west towards pittsburg, then southwest though west virginia down to Lexington, kentucky then down to nashville, tenn then we turned west towards memphis. In memphis we saw graceland (kinda wierd) then we cut across arkansas and through oklahoma.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Hank,

As Bhante Sujato said...

"If you asked the Buddha 'are you Mahayanist or Theravadin' he would say 'what are you talking about? I don't understand those words, I have never heard them before, they are meaningless to me'"

...The Buddha just went to a quiet place and meditated (and this is what he taught his followers to do). All that other stuff about "which is better, Theravada or Mahayana" came later.

With Metta,

Guy
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Actually the Dalai Lama holds and transmits the teachings of all major lineages of Tibetan Buddhism.
    He was raised primarily in a Gelug setting but once he was forced into exile he went out of his way to become a completely non-sectarian leader and teacher in the world of Tibetan Buddhism.

Technically correct. In actuality quite a number of Nyingmapa do not recognise The D.L.'s authority.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There can be a big difference in Sangha cultures, especially around the difference in status between Ordained Sangha and Lay Sangha. In Theravada it can be huge, in Zen (for instance) it can be almost non-existent. This can have a significant effect on how Lay practitioners view the path.
  • edited April 2010
    “Back in my day”, which is to say, about 45 years ago, this discussion was framed in terms of Mahayana and “Hinayana”, and I think use of these terms is somewhat instructive, although the change back to the term Theravada is of course more appropriate.

The term “Mahayana” means “Greater Vehicle”, and it was used in contrast to the term Hinayana, which means “Lesser Vehicle”. Of course this terminology is no longer politically correct, as are references to the spiritual “superiority' of men as opposed to women, and so forth. The distinction points out that practitioners of Theravadin supposedly practice only for their own personal liberation within a single lifetime, whereas practitioners of Mahayana practice primarily for the purpose of generating generalized compassion directed toward the liberation of all sentient beings, and this is presumed to take place over several, usually countless, lifetimes.

The distinction is seen in the way the refuge “statement” is phrased. A person taking refuge in a Mahayana tradition takes refuge “until I reach enlightenment” whereas a practioner of Theravadin takes refuge only for this lifetime. If I remember corectly, the term Theravadin means “forest dweller”, and that would appear to pretty much sum up their approach to practice. By contrast, in the Mahayana tradition, compssionate acts and the motivation to generate generalized compassion are seen as a logical extension of the desire to overcome suffering. If I myself want to overcome suffering, well, gee, what about that person over there that seems to be suffering too? To Mahayanists, that just makes sense. Mahayanists take this to the point at which the motivation to become enlightened is for the sake of others rather than for the sake of the individual.

It's true that Tibetan Buddhism is Mahayana, and HH Dalai Lama's talks about compassion are among the best examples of Mahayana, but this is not to be confused with Vajrayana. Vajrayana is a set of intense practices directed toward achieving enlightenment in this lifetime, for the sake of all sentient beings. So Vajrayana is sub-category of Mahayana, which has been said above.

So it would seem that whatever type of Buddhism you gravitate toward will depend on your disposition. I happen to be an American that can't sit still, and I have been a “Kennedy liberal” since I was eight years old, so Mahayana came pretty naturally for me. And there are lots of nice Mahayana situations you can get yourself into. I am pretty close to retirement, and I have spotted a nice Chinese Chan/Pure Land congregation in Orlando, Florida, so I think I'm going to go do that. The Master that started that set of organizations, Hsing Yun, has done some good writing that should give you a good feeling for Mahayana.

Best wishes. When in doubt, be nice to somebody.
  • edited April 2010
    Rather than what you might do in either Therevada[Forest]/Mahayana/Zen think about what you won't be doing.

I refer to all precepts and the ideal of moral discipline and restraint. Its my understanding that all traditions adhere to the same ideas - and agree what one shouldn't do.

Study them to the best of your ability and practice in the spirit of the meaning of the precepts to keep you mind/body/and speech in line with what the buddha taught.

best of luck.
  • edited April 2010
    [quote=I refer to all precepts and the ideal of moral discipline and restraint. Its my understanding that all traditions adhere to the same ideas - and agree what one shouldn't do. [/quote]

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> It's hard to comment specifically on such a general statement, but I would point out that this is not all that accurate. For instance, there is the thought that different levels of precepts and ideals of moral discipline and restraint apply to monastics as opposed to non-monastics. Assuredly, the motivations for moral discipline and restraint differ between Theravada and Mahayana. Again, Theravada is focused on moral discipline and restraint for the liberation of the individual within a single lifetime, whereas in Mahayana they are focused on the liberation of all sentient beings. Some things are permissible in Mahayana that are not in Theravada, but to elaborate on what things and why is difficult given the general nature of the statement.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Didn't read all the posts but I will point out that I noticed one revered teacher Chogyam Rinpoche even used all Buddhist traditions in many teachings. I myself havn't completely made a decision either. But I have taken the Bodhisattva vow in a Chinese Mahayana monastery and feel I should just rigorously practice the eightfold path to become enlightened for the sake of all beings.
  • edited April 2010
    The real difference is that the "intent" of the Mahayana school is to encourage the intent of its practitioners to be the liberation of all sentient beings. To that end, rebirth is quite literal in Mahayana, as the Bodhisattva is meant to return again and again for this purpose.

The intent of the Theravada school is liberation for the practitioner. What the practitioner wishes to do as far as others is left to them, but really what has an Arahant to live for *except* the well-being and liberation (if welcome) of others?

Really, it's the intent of the individual that matters in the end. It doesn't matter which school you choose; usually we choose schools that are close to where we are, or based on our personality/temperament.

I do know this: we must liberate ourselves before we can be honest guides for others. If we do not know the path ourselves, have walked it and reached the goal, then we are just passing along information like parrots.

All of the Buddhist schools, or types of schools, teach of suffering and its cessation; they merely do it from their own perspective, and with their own goals. They each have a "self", which is something we must recognize. They are all worthy of respect, but must be seen with right view.
  • edited April 2010
    Assuredly, the motivations for moral discipline and restraint differ between Theravada and Mahayana. Again, Theravada is focused on moral discipline and restraint for the liberation of the individual within a single lifetime, whereas in Mahayana they are focused on the liberation of all sentient beings

Either one practices moral restraint and discipline or they don't. The scope of the final goal doesn't matter. Just because any of us "have compassion for sentient beings" doesn't justify any change in behavior, especially outward conduct.

Some things are permissible in Mahayana that are not in Theravada

Are you actually thinking about Tibeten Vajrayana where they drink alcohol and eat meat - and other esoteric practices?

If I have missed the point on either of these two areas please elaborate :-)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Either one practices moral restraint and discipline or they don't. The scope of the final goal doesn't matter. Just because any of us "have compassion for sentient beings" doesn't justify any change in behavior, especially outward conduct.

not ready, since the ancient days the Mahayana teachers are more willing to extend their salvation all the way ( embrace, help, teaching , leading the way ) to people such as sex workers, people who deals with killing or handlering animal, soldiers , uneducated , people attached with strong heretical views and other outcast groups, and modify the practice and teaching to suit their lower capacity or less favourable karma
  • edited April 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    not ready, since the ancient days the Mahayana teachers are more willing to extend their salvation all the way ( embrace, help, teaching , leading the way ) to people such as sex workers, people who deals with killing or handlering animal, soldiers , uneducated , people attached with strong heretical views and other outcast groups, and modify the practice and teaching to suit their lower capacity or less favourable karma

This is a great identification of bodhicitta and the bodhisattva ideal.

It does not however, seem to suggest, that bodhisattvas or anyone engaging in bodhicitta is free to ignore the vows they take.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In actuality the bodhisattva vow is considered a higher vow than the pratimoksha vows. So if it's a question of following one or the other vow, the bodhisattva vow always prevails. For instance, it is strictly against the pratimoksha vows for a monk to touch a female. However, if I saw a woman trip and fall down and was unable to get up, I would not hesitate to help her up because the bodhisattva vow would demand it.

And where did you get the silliness about drinking alcohol and eating meat in Vajrayana, Life? First of all, there is no vow about eating meat. Secondly, the vows of a Vajrayana monk or nun are exactly the same as the vows of a Theravadan monk or nun.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Secondly, the vows of a Vajrayana monk or nun are exactly the same as the vows of a Theravadan monk or nun.
    Palzang

Thanks! this is what I said during my first post in this thread.
    I refer to all precepts and the ideal of moral discipline and restraint. Its my understanding that all traditions adhere to the same ideas - and agree what one shouldn't do.
    - me

i guess I should clarify what I said - Therevada and Mahayana both study the Vinaya - and my only intention was to talk about the similarities.

As far as Vajrayana I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place and for that I apologize.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It does not however, seem to suggest, that bodhisattvas or anyone engaging in bodhicitta is free to ignore the vows they take.

there are actually mainly two group of vow , the Nikayan monastic vow and the Mahayana bodhisattva vow

In the early days the historical Buddha transmit the Mahayana teaching mainly to those small group of realised yogis ( outside his monastic disciples ) , these Mahayana disciples do not ready follows the monastic precepts

As the time passed, there are splits in the Nikayan groups , and some of them are more inclined towards the Mahayana teaching, when the Mahayana practitioners stays together with the Nikayan monastary , they just follows their rules out of respect.

likewise when Buddha Dharma transmitted outside India, the Nikayan teaching and monastic teaching spreaded first, so people outside the land of India have already developed a preconceptional idea on Buddhism. When the Mahayana teachers came into these lands they would simplily respect these establishment ( avoids to cause confusion among those new faiths )

Till when the faith of the land are matured and the understanding of Mahayana are rooted, some Mahayana teachers thinks it the right time to split the different of the 2 group of vows. For example in Japan , the great teacher Dengyo ( Saicho,founder of Japan Tendai school, 767–822ce) requested the permittion from the emperor to establish a separate ordain platfrom for the new Mahayana new monks and nuns, so that allow them to take only the Mahayana Bodhisattva precepts. In such a way he think this allow the Mahayana teachers to be more flexible in their actions to carry out their Mahayana career. From then on most Mahayana monks/nuns/disciples in Japan only took the Bodhisattva precepts.

( Previous to Saicho, all monastic ordinations took place at Todaiji temple under the ancient Vinaya code, but Saichō intended to found his school as a strictly Mahayana institution and ordain monks using the Bodhisattva Vows only. Despite intense opposition from the traditional Buddhist schools in Nara, his request was granted by Emperor Saga in 822ce , several days after Saicho died. This was the fruit of years of effort and a formal debate )
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    strictly speaking, a monastic disciple has 2 fold of identity - one from their vow ( precept ) they took and one from the path they follow

their could be one who took Nikayan vow , follow Nikayan path
    or took Nikayan vow ( or both ) , follow Mahayana path
    or took Mahayana vow , follow Mahayana path
    or took Mahayana vow , follow the Nikayan path

( within Mahayana, they also refer one follow Nikayan path in they only practice mainly to oneself )
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    in short, each monastic member took two type of vow,
    i) the discipline / precept of vow ( Nikayan precept or Mahayana-Bodhisattva precept )
    ii) the vow for their goal in their cultivation ( Nikayan - Arhart - Nirvana without remainder , Mahayana - Bodhisattvahood/Buddhahood - Nirvana with remainder )