Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I-pad will bring lasting satisfaction

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited March 2010 in General Banter
This new I-pad looks like Apple may finally bring us lasting satisfaction. Is anybody getting one?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Sounds like a feminine hygiene product, lol.

...what is it anyway, and why might it bring lasting satisfaction? I'm totally serious here, someone else said "I-pad" the other day. IDK what it is. Do tell!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Just being cheeky about the lasting satisfaction part, that is only possible with the latest HD TV. I-pad is a book sized tablet-like computer, that is said to have excellent screen quality no moving parts and costs under 500.
  • edited February 2010
    Just being cheeky about the lasting satisfaction part, that is only possible with the latest HD TV.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • edited February 2010
    The model with no 3G and the least memory does indeed start at $499, and it goes up from there. I was underwhelmed with it at first, since honestly it's just a larger iPod Touch. No camera, no multitasking (other than what you can do on an iPod Touch), and you're bound to the Apple App Store as the iPhone and iPod's are.

There are some positives..I'm pleased that they offered any model for $499; that's impressive for an Apple product. It will enter the marketplace with a large number of compatible apps already in place through the App Store, though most will be strange and blocky looking on the higher res device until iPad-optimized apps are available. The book reader looks like it will be very nice, and the 1GHz processor is supposed to be lightning fast, making for a very pleasant experience.

If they would integrate in some sort of still/video camera (the bezel reportedly already has a spot milled for one), and at some point add support for Flash (so I can watch a Hulu show if I want), I might at some point consider this device.

Meanwhile, I'll watch patiently as competitors make their offerings. :)

Truthfully, this would be a pure luxury for me. I already own an iPod and an iPhone..I don't really need another device like this.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010
    My brother did some of the work on this product. :o
  • edited February 2010
    Very nice! It would be interesting to work at Apple and have the insider's view of how vision becomes reality, and Mr. Jobs' relationship to things. :)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Just being cheeky about the lasting satisfaction part, that is only possible with the latest HD TV.
    And then only if the man on the HD TV smokes the same brand of cigarette as me. Otherwise, I can't get no satisfaction.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I stubbed my toe on a table leg this morning.

That to me, is far more interesting.....

:D
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited February 2010
    All I can say is that in the UK it will be hideously expensive (apple generally set prices on a $1=£1 rate) and it won't be long until someone loses their life during an I-pad theft...
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Are they for reading? In a Molly Moon book by Georgia Byng Molly Moon travels to the future and people are reading from a small electronic devise. The future is coming quicker than she thinks... :)
    edited February 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I stubbed my toe on a table leg this morning.
    See? That would have made a perfect addition to "Satisfaction". The problem with the Rolling Stones is that they didn't ask us to write their lyrics for them.

I'm surfing the internet
    After stubbing my toe on the furniture
    And my toe feels like samsara in miniature
    And the forum's giving me useless iPad information
    Supposed to fire my imaginiation
    I can't get no, oh no no
    Hey hey hey, that's what I say

I can't get no
    Da da dahhh, da dahh dahh,
    Release from duhkha,
    I can't get no
    Release from duhkha,
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    The house has erupted in flame, and is rapidly being consumed. Inside is Rencalskap who is trapped under a burning beam, and my shiny new I-pad. Time is running out.

Which one do I rescue. Hmmmm......
    edited February 2010
    Unfortunately for Ren Galskap, he's not shiny.
    edited February 2010
    :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Poor Ren!

Yes, I will be purchasing said new instrument of technological wonder....next year.

And I can't wait!!! SO excited!!!

No technological device of any sort has ever given me the pleasure and happiness that my MacBook Pro has.
  • edited February 2010
    oh ok. I'm such a luddite, la la la....I actually just need my phone to ring!

Then again Im not really needing to connect with loads of ppl everyday. Enjoy it tho :)
  • edited February 2010
    Actually, I currently use my iPhone for many of the functions that the iPad brings to the table.

It's not completely wasted; it's nice to be able to read a Thich Nhat Hanh book while waiting in line, to bring up a notepad that has many nice dharma teaching reminders on it to clear my mind, and to be able to read this fine forum while I'm away from my computer. :)
    edited February 2010
    I want one....
  • edited February 2010
    It's just an enlarged iPhone.... it's lack of usb ports, adobe flash support and the fact that it's not too easy to type in it makes it less attractive and i don't understand why apple named it iPad.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited February 2010
    In Apple's latest ad campaign, they picture an iPad sitting under a Bhodi tree...

"It promises enlightenment"... I'm sure that was the slogan... help me here Richard...
  • edited February 2010
    sorry i know the post is a bit late as the convo has move on but loving the stones lyric change am now singing it in my head lol
    edited February 2010
    littlelegs wrote: »
    ... loving the stones lyric change am now singing it in my head lol
    You see that Mick? You and Charlie and Ron and the other guys need me, Mick! And I've got a pricing plan the whole band can afford!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I got a droid a couple of weeks ago. I've stopped meditating, because the joy it brings me is so durable.
  • edited February 2010
    it all about keith richards !!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I got a droid a couple of weeks ago. I've stopped meditating, because the joy it brings me is so durable.
    Lol!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    littlelegs wrote: »
    it all about keith richards !!
    You said it, sister!
  • edited February 2010
    help.png
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Oh, man! That's a great one, Anupassi!
  • edited March 2010
    It's not even that. No support for phone calls or texting. It's really more akind to an enlarged iPod Touch.
    joymartin wrote: »
    It's just an enlarged iPhone....
    edited March 2010
    Wow! That is such a great advert! And no child will get hurt by it because the truth is so obvious! Right, tomorrow, I'm going to break into the zoo and let a bear attack me...., but wait! I'm going to have a friend stand by with an IPhone :D The plan, is fool proof! :orange:
  • edited March 2010
    Bah, the iPad is just a fad.

I'll stick with the laptop I had a child. Easy to reboot, never gets viruses, no buggy software upgrades! :D
    edited March 2010
    He/She's a witch! Witch! Witch! Witch! Burn him/her at the stake! He/she's been practising scetchocraft! :eek: