Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is rebirth for real?

1235»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Just some thoughts....

Many Buddhists accept the rebirth doctrine (literal rebirth after the present body disintegrates) and others don't. Be that as it may, the Buddha himself did not take sides on this issue... he gave "appropriate" teaching to both these groups. What really matters, IMHO, is that the Path we take leads to the overcoming of Dukkha.

Everything in the future, be it just this lifetime or this lifetime and future lifetimes, stems from life in the present moment. It follows, therefore, that this is where we should be directing our attention. So, whether we accept the rebirth doctrine or not, it does not affect how we conduct our life in the present moment. The only question on our minds should be "How are we to overcome Dukkha in this very lifetime?"

Debating on the 'rebirth doctrine" is foolish because it can neither be proved nor disproved experimentally. This debate never really reaches any helpful conclusion. I have witnessed this on this forum and many other Buddhist forums. I even came across some "anti-reincarnation" forums, LOL. But this does not mean that people should not share their "experiences" or "realizations" on the rebirth issue.

Namaste _/\_ everyone.... :)
  • edited March 2010
    M: Is it heat Light, kinetic, molecular, atomic or gravitational... etc?

S9: Google wave energy, wiki and you will know more about waves than you probably ever wanted to. : ^ ) Then you can explain it to me. He/He/He [/QUOT]

Ahhhhh....so it is homeopathic;)
  • edited March 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Debating on the 'rebirth doctrine" is foolish because it can neither be proved nor disproved experimentally.

It might be able to be proved experimentally, but it cant be disproved experimentally.
    I have witnessed this on this forum and many other Buddhist forums. I even came across some "anti-reincarnation" forums, LOL.

I used to be a member of an anti-reincarnation forum, it was no good, peoples simply refused to come back. :p
    But this does not mean that people should not share their "experiences" or "realizations" on the rebirth issue.

I agree, and would also recommend that such sharings should be free from dogma and taking oneself too seriously.

Jah Bless,

Mat
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Mat,

I have noted your comments. Let's leave it there .... :)

Peace,
    Sukhita
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Amrak, :)
    Honestly, I can't really tell you. No doubt from a speech/sutta commentary. I'm noticing several contrary versions of the Buddha's teachings. I'm curious, what suttas are you referring to, I'd like to read them.

To be honest, I haven't really seen much contradiction in the Tipitaka. It's actually incredibly consistent. Of course, commentaries, on the other hand, are just that: other people's interpretations of the teachings, so they vary greatly.

As for suttas: the Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta, Alagaddupama Sutta, Cula-sihanada Sutta, Sammaditthi Sutta, etc.
  • edited March 2010
    Mat,

M: I would recommend that such sharings should be free from dogma and taking oneself too seriously.

S9: Yah that will happen. ; ^ )

I think this is a come as you are party.

Smiles coming your way,
    S9