Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Harsh Anti-Gay Bill In Uganda In Danger Of Being Passed

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Today
I'm sorry if its against policy to post something like this, I'm new to the site.

This bill, in Uganda, if passed can land you in jail for life imprisonment or death if you are gay, depending on your 'offense'. This is awful beyond words.

Please check out the petition in the second link.

Thanks

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/ugandas-anti-gay-bill-causes-commonwealth-uproar/article1376503/

http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_for_tolerance/?cl=472654449&v=5363

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Thank you for posting this. This sort of thing depresses the heck out of me but people need to know.
  • edited February 2010
    Yes, I'm surprised it hasn't made bigger headlines. Avaaz.org is a wonderful organization and I figured that this would be a good way to make people aware and help out the petition at the same time.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I've signed the petition AND posted it on my Facebook profile.

This is compassion in action, people.
    Sign the damn thing and hopefully, we can make a difference.....
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks Federica, that is extremely helpful. I guess facebook is good for something after all :grin:
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Things like this remind me of George Carlin when he was talking about how we are going to impress space aliens of how much we've "evolved".
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi, Mr. Rabbit.

I got the Avaaz email today and signed the petition right away. I always sign Avaaz petitions and send them little bits of money when I can. They are, indeed, a fantastic organization. I'm so impressed with them.

I hadn't been around here for a while and was just about to post something similar to yours but put it off until I made sure no one else had already done so and I found this thread. Well done! I'm so glad others are seeing the good in what Avaaz is doing and contributing to it. It's so great to have a place to go where so many others feel the same way about these kinds of issues.

Thanks, Mr. Rabbit.
  • edited February 2010
    You're most welcome Brigid, I'm just glad I had somewhere to post this.
  • PaxPax
    edited February 2010
    I signed the petition from a link on my usual lesbian forum, it's big news there of course but seems to be getting negligible air time elsewhere. :( *sigh*
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I've signed the petition AND posted it on my Facebook profile.

This is compassion in action, people.
    Sign the damn thing and hopefully, we can make a difference.....

I hate to be negative but do you really think this has made a difference? I wouldn't pat myself too hard on the back if I were you.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Expressing compassion isn't an empty act, even if it can't change the fact of the matter.