Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is protect the environment a way of practising Buddhism ?

edited April 2010 in Philosophy
A tree is a home of lots of animals: ants, worms, birds,..
A small wood or lake is small ecoclimate that a huge amount of creatures live in.
protect ecology means protect lives and bring happiness to animals (and people either).
Can we practice Buddhism by protecting environment ?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Thich Nhat Hanh would seem to think so. He actually references global warming in one of his revised Mindfulness Trainings. (His interpretation of the Precepts)
  • edited February 2010
    Well of course, the two go hand in hand for me!

Being mindful of the environment and skilfully improving it are two of the ways I bring Buddhism into my daily life.
    For so long we have ignored the environment, it's time we start walking the middleway and give the earth the attention it deserves.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    is protect the environment a way of practising Buddhism ?

Sure - it is one way of many.
  • edited February 2010
    If you think of the outside environment (earth and her progeny) as an extension of your own body/mind, and She is, it seems Mindful to consider all the consequences of your actions toward Her as relevant, whether you are a Buddhist or just merely a human.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited February 2010
    Interesting link! I may have to give that book a read.
  • edited February 2010
    Interesting link! I may have to give that book a read.
    its a good book.
    I have never seen so many prominent Buddhist teachers in one collection speaking on the same topic.
  • edited February 2010
    Indeed! Representation from all 3 vehicles!
  • edited February 2010
    I think it has to be done practically and effectively because the global is warming verry quickly.

Anybody has practical experiences of protecting the environment, pls. give me some examples ?
  • edited February 2010
    Imnothere,

I would say that Buddhism is a healing balm for what ails our present culture, in many ways, simply because we can finally stop looking outside of ourselves for all of our satisfaction. In other words, less can be more, and bigger isn’t necessarily better.

Looked at on another level and slightly differently:

One of the things that I learned when I moved out onto the country, some years back, was not only had my city life been far more busy, but my mind had been revving at a speed that didn’t allow for the enjoyment of the more simple pleasures, like coming upon a spider web sparkling with dew on an early morning walk.

Both of these experiences (above) are rich in a priceless beauty that nourishes our hearts.

And:

I think you might notice too that both of these point to a less frantic way of living, a slowing down.

And:

A smaller carbon footprint. : ^ )

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited February 2010
    As I realize that when I practise meditation, I can save my breath, it means I can reduce my CO2 emission.

My breath decrease to a half, so I can save 1h CO2 emission if I practise 2 hs everyday !
  • edited February 2010
    Imnothere,

I: As I realize that when I practice meditation, I can save my breath, it means I can reduce my CO2 emission.

My breath decrease to a half, so I can save 1h CO2 emission if I practice 2 hrs everyday!

S: War removes the amount of breathing, or breathing persons, even more.

And; Its a quick form of population control. EEK

Then our slogan might be "Make war, not exercise,"...or not. ; ^ )

Forgive my joking with you. (Dark humor) "The devil made me do it." : ^ (

Oh, silly me,
    S9
    Can we practice Buddhism by protecting environment ?
    Yes. The foundation of Buddhist practise is harmlessness.

However, the Buddhist path comprises of much more than this.

:)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010
    imnothere wrote: »
    As I realize that when I practise meditation, I can save my breath, it means I can reduce my CO2 emission.

My breath decrease to a half, so I can save 1h CO2 emission if I practise 2 hs everyday !

congratulation for being on the right track:)
  • edited April 2010
    Last Earthhour, I invited my friends to practise meditation through the Earth hour and we did it very well ! That is the right way of awaring mindfulness of protecting environment !