Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking for a Sutta

DeshyDeshy Veteran
edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Why isn't Velama Sutta there in this online resource:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/index.html#an9

It is supposed to be in the Anguttura Nikaya, book of the nines if I remember right. Are some suttas missing in this site? :skeptical

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Best person to ask is Jason.
    drop him a PM.
    he's so well-versed in this site, I think he has it memorised...!:grin:

EDIT NOTE:
    I found this, which appears to bear your implication of omission, out...

however, reading the preface to the Anguttara on AccesstoInsight, it seems there were some suttas that were sub-sectioned, or referenced as somewhat duplicating others, in message and teaching.
    I dunno...
    maybe listing them all would have been a monumental and gargantuan task.
    Why not send the website a question? I'm sure you'd receive an answer. I have, previously, so they won't ignore you. Give them a bit of time, but they may well provide you with a reasonable explanation....
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Fedrica. I'll drop the site a note asking about it
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2010
    There are definitely suttas missing on that website. I remember looking for a few in the past, and not being able to find them. There's over 10,000 of them in total, so this is not suprising. The website is not by any means complete.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Yes, it's true that the Access to Insight site doesn't have every sutta available. According to Frequently Asked Questions About Access to Insight, this is mainly because the site owner, John Bullitt, selects books, articles and sutta translations that he's found "helpful to develop a personal understanding of the Buddha's teachings."

In answer to the question, Why don't you have translations of ALL the suttas from the Pali canon?, Mr. Bullitt further explains:
    This website aims to be selective rather than comprehensive. My goal has never been to publish translations of every single one of the Tipitaka's 10,000-plus suttas. What you see here is a selection of suttas that meet three criteria: (1) they are, in my opinion, good translations; (2) I have personally found them useful; and (3) their copyright holders have provided them for free distribution.
  • edited February 2010
    There is also http://metta.lk/tipitaka
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yep I also initially got the idea that probably they only have the suttas which they believe to be relevant to the particulr school of teachings. As this sutta is about rebirth I am not surprised it is not there.

Thanks a lot for the links guys. Forgive my ignorance but is the jason that federica mentioned the same guy who has posted here? :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but is the jason that federica mentioned the same guy who has posted here? :)

Is this a trick question? :p
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Is this a trick question? :p

Lol No... So it's you the GOD EMPEROR :p