Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A tough Zen nut to crack

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited March 2010 in Philosophy
In Zen, Sukha and Dukkha are included in great awakening.

Sukha is being Awake, wherein Bodymind and World are self-luminous, ownerless, and unobstructed. Dukkha is Un-awake and entails ownership, duality, and obstruction. As I have known it, periods of Dukkha decrease with practice and periods of Sukha increase . Enlightenement, in theory, is when the tendency to identify with thought and enter into dualistic states is put to an end. However I have been told that Enlightenment in Zen is not that, that it includes Sukha and Dukkha as "Sunface Buddha" and "Moonface Buddha". This is the dance of lfe. Now this raises questions. One is the old question of fatalism, "there is nothing to do". This is not the case since realizing Kensho and opening to Sukha is the result of discliplined practice. There is also ongoing practice that has no end, has no final state of Enlightenment.

This is a tough nut, because the need in practice is to seek wall-to-wall awakening, no Dukkha, no Moon, and an awakening that includes both can easily be the delusion of mere licence.

A genuine awakeness that has continuity through Dukkha and Sukha is rare and has many near imposters.

Can any Zen practitioner speak to this?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Richard,

Zen was my first introduction to Buddhism, many decades ago at the age of 19. I felt like someone had thrown open all of the doors and the windows and let fresh air into my life.

I was overwhelmed by its great beauty, and the fact that it answered many questions that up until then had gone unanswered, often not even addressed.

I still enjoy the fact that it speaks directly to the issue.

Some have said that Practice is not what makes one 'Wake Up', but rather is 'a symptom' that one is in fact 'Waking up."

When the disease is cured however, do the symptoms (practices) persist?

I have often thought that much of Zen is a deliberate effort to tie persons, who believe that they are in charge and can do Realization, up in knots, and then pulling them tighter and tighter (AKA koans) until mind simply gives up, (Surrender) and much like Ananda (Buddha's cousin) we fall back into Realization. (AKA The bottom of the bucket falls out and releases all the contents.)

Respectfully,
    S9
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    My first teacher Samu Sunim gave me the name Kojip which means "Four Noble Truths" and reflected, I thought, his frustration with this thick, and stubborn, student.

One tough nut to break your teeth on after another. :)

....practice goes on. It just does.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Richard,

I like this: Enlightenment is an accident. Practice makes us accident prone. :)

I also like:

Sad/Joy Sad/Joy
    Tranquil Sensitivity
    Exquisite!

Which I imagine may also be written:

Dukkha/Sukkha Dukkha/Sukkha
    Tranquil Sensitivity
    Exquisite!

Wherein, Dukkha and Sukkha are the natural ebb and flow of the experience of life; like rippling waves on the surface of the sea, Tranquil Sensitivity is the true deep undisturbed state of the sea (we may learn to rest in with discipline), and Exquisite is the blissful awareness of all things resulting from the direct knowing of things from that deep tranquilly sensitive state; like watching the ripples on the surface of the sea from its deep calm depths with a kind of undisturbed blissful tenderness.

Finally, I like the story of Dogen Zenji's adventure with the storm while traveling on the sea between Japan and China - Just Sitting!!

But, of course, I Don't Know! :D

:):):)
    edited February 2010
    Hi Richard,

I like this: Enlightenment is an accident. Practice makes us accident prone. :)

I also like:

Sad/Joy Sad/Joy
    Tranquil Sensitivity
    Exquisite!

Which I imagine may also be written:

Dukkha/Sukkha Dukkha/Sukkha
    Tranquil Sensitivity
    Exquisite!

Wherein, Dukkha and Sukkha are the natural ebb and flow of the experience of life; like rippling waves on the surface of the sea, Tranquil Sensitivity is the true deep undisturbed state of the sea (we may learn to rest in with discipline), and Exquisite is the blissful awareness of all things resulting from the direct knowing of things from that deep tranquilly sensitive state; like watching the ripples on the surface of the sea from its deep calm depths with a kind of undisturbed blissful tenderness.

Finally, I like the story of Dogen Zenji's adventure with the storm while traveling on the sea between Japan and China - Just Sitting!!

But, of course, I Don't Know! :D

Dukkha is the absence of awareness you speak of. It is by definition not awake. It is by definition a 100% immersion in the dualistic state. The "Dukkha" you refer to is not Dukkha, but the mere ups and downs of conditions. There seems to be a drift in zen between a recognition of this, and a more Taoist approach that fudges the matter.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Richard,

Are you sure?

I imagine both dukkha (unsatisfactoriness of stuff happening) and sukkha (satisfactoriness of stuff happening) as moments of forgetfulness when I'm ignorantly enthralled by mere appearances and blissful awareness as moments when I'm not.

I imagine that training to habituate this being to a stable state of tranquil sensitivity helps me know the play of dukkha/sukkha as mere appearance and release me form ignorant slavery to those states of mind.

I imagine the result of this as a kind of perception of the exquisiteness of this play of stuff happening without attachment.

Of course, as I'm nowhere close to being enlightened, these delusions are my own. They just work for me! ;)

Thank You for the response. I will place 'Dukkha is the absence of awareness you speak of. It is by definition not awake. It is by definition a 100% immersion in the dualistic state' in the crucible of contemplation, 'cuz I imagine you as well grounded in the training.

• edited February 2010
    P.S. I guess it's time to go see the Roshi!

:D
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010
    P.S. I guess it's time to go see the Roshi!

:D

rather stay put:)
  • edited February 2010
    Oh, I was referring to myself.

As a matter of fact I'll be spending time with them at the Monastery in April. Although, I may call them or the guru earlier and visit briefly, soon. :)
    edited February 2010
    Aah I'm probably no more grounded in practice than you.. Its just being a Theravadin Zen crossbread has made for some interesting discussion in the Zendo. .......when I'm not being told to shut up and sit by yet another teacher:grin:
  • edited February 2010
    Yup, those folks are not much on talking.

I try to catch Roshi outside the Zendo, walking in the garden etc. or when sharing some chi kung or tai chi training.

:)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010

being told to shut up

:lol::)
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited February 2010
    One is the old question of fatalism, "there is nothing to do". This is not the case since realizing Kensho and opening to Sukha is the result of discliplined practice.

That begs the question, "who is doing what?" Perhaps it's more that the doing does itself. And that doing is dependent on the awareness of unsatisfactoriness (dukkha).

Also, I haven't seen Sukkha and Dukkha presented in the fashion that you have presented them. Do you have the resources where they came from?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited February 2010
    the need in practice is to seek wall-to-wall awakening
    You don't practice Zen seeking something. You just practice. :D
    edited March 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    You don't practice Zen seeking something. You just practice. :D

I'm referring to the need in practice ...... Not the directive of practice. Non-seeking is basic instruction. Yet there is this need. It is there. And its not a bad thing. Because although there is nothing to achieve, nowhere to go, etc. this can actually be a trap for people as Zen becomes nothing but licence for acting out in the usual un-enlightened way. All in the name of already there. All in the name of already Enlightened.

There is nothing to do, yet something to do. And that something is to be completely awake.
    edited March 2010
    not1not2 wrote: »
    That begs the question, "who is doing what?" Perhaps it's more that the doing does itself. And that doing is dependent on the awareness of unsatisfactoriness (dukkha).

Do you have the resources where they came from?
    My foundation was The Four Noble truths, as taught to us by Ajahn Viradhammo, who is has been the principle friend our Sangha in Toronto for the twenty years I've been around, and much longer. My first Zen Teacher was Samu Sunim. The way of putting it above is poetic yes, but from direct experience/practice over this period. The study of Dharma, absorbing (too many) Dharma talks, and the imput of teachers, including current guidance by practitioners senior to me, is not where I'm talking from. You asked and I give you a brief background, but this is not who I'm speaking for. Only from my own practice and thats that. Agree, disagree, whatever.

I am a Zen Theravadin Hybrid who has recently (after a long time of reflection) decided to settle into one aproach. That approach is the Korean Zen. That is where I originally took Refuge. Although the school now is different. My Dharma name is Kojip, and I don't give a damn what any Sutra says at this point. we need to reach up with our hands and find our own heads. If other people have another measure of thing thats fine. different strokes for different folks.
  • edited March 2010
    Richard,

I think that what Lincoln is saying is that any preconceptions when going into practice, would hamstring practice. Preconceptions of any kind, whatsoever, place us squarely in the mind and even perhaps ego needs.

You may have all kinds of justified worries outside of practice, about people misdirecting or even misusing of what has been taught. But, all of these must be set 100% aside when you take your place on the cushion.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited March 2010
    I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing. But my experience with how sukkha has been presented is more along the lines of the sukkha/dukkha dichotomy. It corresponds to love/hate, pleasure/displeasure. I guess I'm just wondering in what school or sutra you come across sukkha in the elevated sense you seem to be describing. I'm not really saying you're incorrect, just that I haven't seen this presentation.
    edited March 2010
    Richard,

I think that what Lincoln is saying is that any preconceptions when going into practice, would hamstring practice. Preconceptions of any kind, whatsoever, place us squarely in the mind and even perhaps ego needs.

You may have all kinds of justified worries outside of practice, about people misdirecting or even misusing of what has been taught. But, all of these must be set 100% aside when you take your place on the cushion.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    That is well put. Yes . I see where you are coming from.
    edited March 2010
    not1not2 wrote: »
    I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing. But my experience with how sukkha has been presented is more along the lines of the sukkha/dukkha dichotomy. It corresponds to love/hate, pleasure/displeasure. I guess I'm just wondering in what school or sutra you come across sukkha in the elevated sense you seem to be describing. I'm not really saying you're incorrect, just that I haven't seen this presentation.
    You may have noticed I've never quoted Sutra, except the Heart Sutra in that thread. I will only speak from first hand experience and do not except authority of Sutra over that, no way, not now. The presence of a teacher yes, if He/She is a guiding teacher of an authentic school. So I'm a bit of a miscreant and kind of conservative at the same time.

IMHO take peoples posts on there own merit. If it rings a bell it rings a bell, if it doesn't it doesn't. There are ordained Sangha who can quote the Tripitaka backwards, yet who's only practice consists of blessing the laity's new cars to keep donations rolling into the Vihara.
    There are people with the barest knowledge of Sutra who are very wise.
  • edited March 2010
    Not1not2,

N: That begs the question, "who is doing what?" Perhaps it's more that the doing does itself. And that doing is dependent on the awareness of unsatisfactoriness (dukkha).

S9: It is also my understanding that through ‘Clarity,’ itself, everything automatically self-corrects. Nothing is accomplished by sheer force. Even what some might call "a push ahead" comes about as passion for relief or answers natural builds up within us and looks for release. So that mistaken views simply fall away at some point.

We even take our place on the cushion when it becomes clear that it would be the best move, at this time, to do so, or flows naturally out of what happened previously like a river.

All of this happens more like a rose blooming, than by our aggressively tearing open the rose petals prematurely, and making an abortion of it. That is if we come to understand and appreciate the natural dynamics of practice.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited March 2010
    Richard,

I'm really not worried about it, more curious. Nor am I making a doctrinal debate. The way you split them up makes sense in the context you said it.

_/\_
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    You seem very concerned about nonseeking becoming a licence for acting out. But any idea can be subverted by the ego in this way. It's just another delusion to cut through. Where's the problem? Do you not trust that it will be clear when this is going on?
    edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    You seem very concerned about nonseeking becoming a licence for acting out. But any idea can be subverted by the ego in this way. It's just another delusion to cut through. Where's the problem? Do you not trust that it will be clear when this is going on?
    That is it yes, Its a Zen problem. Zen in particular. And I wouldnt say non-seeking, so much as the perfection of Samsara as such. That non-duality brings the issue which I have struggled with, which is how radical licence and radical letting be, can look the same, but they are not.
  • edited March 2010
    Richard,

R: That is well put. Yes. I see where you are coming from.

S9: Thank you.

One might say you are a fierce adversary, but certainly a good friend, and also big enough to see another guys point, which is commendable. : ^ )

With respect,
    S9
    edited March 2010
    Richard,

R: That is well put. Yes. I see where you are coming from.

S9: Thank you.

One might say you are a fierce adversary, but certainly a good friend, and also big enough to see another guys point, which is commendable. : ^ )

With respect,
    S9
    Thank you. I respect you and consider you a friend. This here is a thick student, always has been. I learn by being disagreed with, and being thick, disagreed with strongly. My wife is teaching me social skills though, so I may be better company with time.
  • edited March 2010
    Hey fivebells,

Always glad to see you sheep dog face show up. ; ^ )

F: Any idea can be subverted by the ego in this way. It's just another delusion to cut through.

S9: Yes, and sometimes a mistaken view can be the quickest way to grow through illusion. We then get to see, rather clearly, just how unworkable the mistaken view is. That is as long as our concepts don’t get solid, or shelf-ed.

F: Where's the problem? Do you not trust that it will be clear when this is going on?

S9: Trust is certainly a large component of my practice. Trust allows us to put away fear and anger, to name but a few. Fear and anger and such, certainly drain useful energy, which could be used more productively. Not to even mention the suffering factor.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Richard,

Ah yes, if social skills was the same as money in the bank, I would be getting a notice soon that I am way over drawn. ; ^ )

Like you, I just bumble along in this ticklesh area, doing the best I can, and hoping for a miracle.

: ^ )

But perhaps, my bumbling and falling down serves a higher purpose. Others can learn patience and compassion from my attempts, and even get their PhD in that area, after dealing with me. So in a way I’m making this a better world…or not.

Keep on, keeping on,
    S9

B: I like the story of Dogen Zenji's adventure with the storm while traveling on the sea between Japan and China - Just Sitting!!

S9: I think this metaphor (whether actually lived or not) shows us that Calm Tranquility and the mind's excitablity are not actually an either/or, as Dogen was able to abide in Tranquility even as simultaneously the storm (of life) continues.

Suffering on the other hand comes about when we identify too closely with the storm, and thereby cannot extricate ourselves from the turmoil, which interprets itself a suffering in our life.

Maybe it comes back to point of (Right) view, AKA attitude, or even knowing what we are not.

Warm Regards,
    S9