Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dostoyevsky

edited February 2010 in General Banter
I first picked up Crime and Punishment in about the middle of high school. I attempted to read it then, but was overwhelmed by the length and depth of the book. Then, at the end of last year's term, I had several days between finals, and decided to give it another shot.

After a few days of almost constant reading, I finished it and was mesmerized. Dostoyevsky instantly became one of my favorite writers (and without a doubt my favorite 19th century one). I loved his examination of Rodian's conscience, and his gradual breakdown from confident and righteous murderer to a paranoid, delusional man that he becomes.

Every bit about this book is amazing to me. The religious motifs, virtue, redemption, good, evil. Great stuff all of it! Rodion's dealings with the slippery and contemptuous lawyer Luzhin are among my favorite scenes in the book.

I believe it was Jason who mentioned recently that he also was a fan of Dostoyevsky. I think it was Note From the Underground that he liked. This spring, I'm looking forward to reading The Devils. From the little I've read so far, it shows similarly good promise. Almost eerie how it warns against the same kinds of violent revolutionaries who would seize power in the same country only 50 years later.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Glad you enjoyed it, KoB. I suggest reading The Brothers Karamazov after you finish with The Devils, or even some of his shorter works like "White Nights," "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man," etc. I really like seeing the way his writing and views evolves with each work. If you compare "White Nights" with "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man," or Poor Folk with anything after 1862 (e.g., The House of the Dead, Notes from Underground, etc.), for example, you'll see what I mean. His four years in Siberia and five years in the military really changed him.
  • edited February 2010
    Yes, I'd like to eventually read all of his works. I'm not too sure on the matter, but do you think he foreshadowed Nietzsche's ubermensch idea? Rodion seems to display all the characteristics of a self-avowed "superman" who rules and morality need not apply to.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010
    If you don't have the time to read all of his works, at least get the copy of Notes From Underground (1864) that also has "White Nights" (1848), a few selections from The House of the Dead (1862) and "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man" (1877). It gives a pretty good overview of his writings.

As for whether Raskolnikov foreshadowed Nietzsche's ubermensch, that's hard to say. While the similarities between them are hard to ignore, I'm not familiar enough with Nietzsche's philosophy to say for sure. Also, Svidrigailov seems to epitomize the stereotypical "great man" more so than Raskolnikov, although the fate of each would seem to betray this. But then, that's the point I think Dostoyevsky was trying to make.

Dostoyesvsky seems to be rejecting the Russian nihilism that was developing, at least in part, out of French and German influences, and especially the idea of a "great man" beyond good and evil, while embracing the Eastern Orthodox ideas of sin and repentance.

Whatever the case, Dostoyevsky was an amazing writer who was able to delve into the depths of the human psyche — both the beautiful and the ugly — and didn't shy away from what he saw.
  • edited February 2010
    brothers k is definitely a worthwhile book. very heartwarming and thrilling. notes from underground is funny. i want to read the idiot, haven't read dostoyevsky in awhile.