Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Student with some questions

edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello, I am enrolled in an Intercultural Communications class in college and am researching religions. I have a few questions I would like to ask about your daily lives. These questions are to help me understand other cultures way of life. I have been curious about Buddhism, so that's why I picked your forum.

Please answer a few questions for me:

1. Does your family attend religious services together?

2. Does your family pray together?

3. Have your own religious practices changed at all since you were a child?

4. What leisure time activities does your family partake in?

5. How are chores divided in your family?

6. Does religion shape the activities or family chore division?

7. Anything else you would like to add?

Thank you for your time.
Tim

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010

NO

No. Not all Buddhists pray.

I started studying as an adult.

Same as everyone else.

I do everything.

Nope.

You should study Buddhism a little bit. These questions have a very Christian feel to them from my stand point.
  • edited February 2010
    Insane, thanks for the reply. I was given a list of questions, and probably should have just came up with my own list. I was reading some of the other posts and think I have an idea of what I am going to write. I am suppose to do an actual interview, but I live in an area that thumps on the Bible and can't find anyone local to ask.
    edited February 2010
    _Tim_ wrote: »
    Insane, thanks for the reply. I was given a list of questions, and probably should have just came up with my own list. I was reading some of the other posts and think I have an idea of what I am going to write. I am suppose to do an actual interview, but I live in an area that thumps on the Bible and can't find anyone local to ask.

That really sucks man. I bet you see "judgmental" written on everyone's face.
  • edited February 2010
    I brought up Buddhism at work today and someone said that it is considered Idolatry. I don't know a lot about it, but I was under the impression that Buddhists don't worship a god, but it is more of a way of life. I guess people that grew up being brainwashed by their local Preacher don't understand. The town I live in has a population of 2,500 and there are 10 churches that I can think of, all some form of Christianity. They are so judgmental, that they think badly of people going to the church across the street, and much less of anything they have not been subjected to.
  • edited February 2010
    the essence of buddhism is to believe in enlightenment above all else. thus enlightenment could in this instance be considered the Idol. but christianity itself is idolatry, they just believe that there idol is the only true idol.
    edited February 2010
    I brought up Buddhism at work today and someone said that it is considered Idolatry. I don't know a lot about it, but I was under the impression that Buddhists don't worship a god, but it is more of a way of life. I guess people that grew up being brainwashed by their local Preacher don't understand. The town I live in has a population of 2,500 and there are 10 churches that I can think of, all some form of Christianity. They are so judgmental, that they think badly of people going to the church across the street, and much less of anything they have not been subjected to.

Yeah they are a bunch of monkeys.
  • edited February 2010
    That is a hard concept for me to grasp, "enlightenment could in this instance be considered the Idol." So If enlightenment is an idol, if you reach enlightenment, what then?

I have meditated before, but without any religious ties, I was trying to improve my mind and my control over my body. I succeeded, but was a little scared of some of the things that I was able to do, so I quit. I slowed my heart rate down so low once that I thought my heart was going to stop during meditation. I was also able to remember things from as early as 1 yrs old. I would only remember flashes, but they were extremely vivid, almost like I was reliving the experience.

Does anyone experience this sort of thing during or after meditation?
    edited February 2010
    That is a hard concept for me to grasp, "enlightenment could in this instance be considered the Idol." So If enlightenment is an idol, if you reach enlightenment, what then?

I have meditated before, but without any religious ties, I was trying to improve my mind and my control over my body. I succeeded, but was a little scared of some of the things that I was able to do, so I quit. I slowed my heart rate down so low once that I thought my heart was going to stop during meditation. I was also able to remember things from as early as 1 yrs old. I would only remember flashes, but they were extremely vivid, almost like I was reliving the experience.

Does anyone experience this sort of thing during or after meditation?

We all have things happen through meditation. Buddhism at it's basic level is to control negative emotions. Nothing more, nothing less. You should do some more investigating. Hang out here at the site. We are always willing to help.
  • edited February 2010
    first, one should understand that enlightenment is not knowledge, but is actually the thirst for knowledge. one can understand everything simply by asking the question. but the base of this is the NEED TO KNOW, or the thirst.
    secondly, meditation is as productive as one wants it to be. you can do anything you want, meditation is simply taking the time to concentrate on that want.
  • edited February 2010
    Do you often deal with persecution from others, or do you keep your religion to oneself?

I ask this because I am frequently asked which church I attend, and am usually invited to their church after I reply that I do not currently attend. Sometimes I go, if I do I make a show of it, often going up front when they call up the sinners. They make a big spectacle, praying for me and carrying on. In then end, I just don't feel like I am a part of the group, or that I belong. It is hard to explain in words, but I just don't believe in it.

One thing that is hard for me to believe is the rebirth. I feel that we live on through our children, in that essence we are reborn, but I don't feel that there will be life after death.
    edited February 2010
    Rebirth isn't a proven thing. Don't worry about it. A lot of Buddhists don't believe in it. I live in a small town in CA where most people are Christian. I own a comic book shop and on my counter is some Buddhist stuff. I don't care about letting people know. I always have a good debate with some and they always go to the "you just have to have faith" and that's how I know I've won. LOL
  • edited February 2010
    i have dealt with persecution of all kinds. i neither make it a point to show my religion, nor hide it. i just respond to people honestly.
    if they ask me what religion i am, i usually ask them to narrow down their question.
    edited February 2010
    Just tell them to remember Mathew 5:39 and then smack them.
  • edited February 2010
    Yes, I can see where it could make for some good conversation. I used to work with a student going to a bible college, we had some pretty good debates back then. The dinosaur card was always a good one.
  • edited February 2010
    What is Mathew 5:39, turn the other cheek?
    edited February 2010
    Yes
    edited February 2010
    I always use the bible against them. They hate that.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    One thing that is hard for me to believe is the rebirth. I feel that we live on through our children, in that essence we are reborn, but I don't feel that there will be life after death.

June2005ThichNhatHanhinsidepic.jpg

“If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.”

- Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh

gassho2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    That would go with his idea of living on through your kids. :)
    edited February 2010
    Hi Tim

I'm sorry to hear of the persecution you may experience or feel.

Everyone is just where they are, and unfortunately, sometimes this makes it hard for other people, or themselves.

Still, there is only so much we can do.

I have always thought it is good to know your environment and thus if it is a strong base of a certain style - then just keep a lower profile. There is no point IMO in going up against those whom are fully convinced of their own beliefs, and worse, righteousness. Personally, I would not bother and I think taking care is important. Righteousness or conviction is not contained to any group, we are all capable of this in small and large ways. However, some teachings may lend themself a bit more to this than others. Buddhism, to its credit, does its best to kick the birds out of nesting holes when there is some maturity and this in my opinion, is a tremendous credit.

As to representations of Buddhism, I attended a Church when younger, and it represented Buddhism as superstitious clap trap. Whilst I can appreciate the attempts to divert persons from other religions, I am not so much a fan of things which are not true.

Still, we are all brothers and sisters regardless, and the Dharma also has her own ways, so we just do our best within the lives we find ourselves.

Wishing you well,

Abu
    edited February 2010
    That would go with his idea of living on through your kids. :)

:)

There is a book review of Thich Nhat Hanh here which further illustrates some of his teachings --
    Each of us can look deeply and recognize our loved ones manifesting again in many forms. All of our ancestors and great saints and spiritual seekers are alive in us. At one point, Thich Nhat Hanh states that Jesus Christ is manifesting himself in countless ways. Then he adds: "The practice of resurrection should be taken up by each of us . . . This is the true practice of being alive."

The ways in which we work, play, and relate to others and the world are all occasions for resurrection or rebirth. Our practice should be to incarnate love, peace, kindness, compassion, and justice. Thich Nhat Hanh offers a wonderful image for this involvement: "You are just like a firework going off in every moment. The firework diffuses its beauty around itself. With your thoughts, words and actions you can diffuse your beauty. That beauty and goodness goes into your friends, your children and grandchildren and into the world. It is not lost and you go into the future in that way."

So there is no birth and no death, only constant change and impermanence. In the midst of all this ferment, we can touch the Earth with love and realize we are presently in nirvana or the kingdom of God. By living fully in the present moment, we can experience happiness and be freed from suffering and fear. Another spin-off of this practice is feeling a unity with all people, creatures, and things once the boundary between self and other has been removed.

Thich Nhat Hanh has rendered us an invaluable service by opening our hearts and minds to the wonderful becoming that is our joy and our destiny.

No Death, No Fear - Book Review (Author of Book: Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh)

gassho.gif
    edited February 2010

No

Not generally

Yes, I was not very religious per se when I was young. I used to pray a bit and also would bow to the Buddha but it was not very central or had any real understanding of the teachings at that stage. I never thought much nor explored much about things like God or religion, it was not very relevant to a happy and successful life.
    I discovered Buddhism, or rather it got me in my 20s. At first I thought Buddhism was more about bowing and maybe asking for things, but as I learnt more and more about what the Buddha taught (including the path of practice), as opposed to what I just believed, it just intrinsically made sense. In addition, I had a number of so called spiritual experiences at the same time as my initial explorations, and not knowing where or how else to find an answer to what I wanted to know, I travelled the world to leading monasteries around the world to meet teachers and see 'real life' practice environments - as most of my exposure at that stage was just via online or reading books. I also asked all those whom I was sure 'knew' (knew for themself as opposed to talking just intellectually about things) some of whom were available to me online. I also sat my first sesshin (an intensive Zen meditation retreat) within the first six months, and over time, my practice moved from a strong understanding of the theoretical to practice, then manifestation. Of course naturally then, now I not only believe in the Buddha's teaching, I know they are as true as when I look up at the sky and see it is blue. No belief is necessary, it is just the way it is. It's a relief but it took many years of dedicated search, inquiry and practice. And struggle too perhaps.. And a lot of friendship from friends. But - as they say, it doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen ;)

Eating, TV, family time, family activities: shopping, cooking, school etc, laughter.

Roughly shared

No my family remains relatively 'non-religious'

Yes, I wish you the best. All blessings to you and those around you, Tim.

Thank you for your time.

Pleasure.
    Hello, I am enrolled in an Intercultural Communications class in college and am researching religions. I have a few questions I would like to ask about your daily lives. These questions are to help me understand other cultures way of life. I have been curious about Buddhism, so that's why I picked your forum.

Tim:

Some other Buddhist forums you can post these questions at:

Zen Forum International - primarily Zen based practitioners
    Buddhism Without Boundaries - A smaller but nice and friendly cross denomination site
    Dhamma Wheel - Theravadan Forum
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    the essence of buddhism is to believe in enlightenment above all else.

This is incorrect. No, it isn't.
    Buddhists aren't required, encouraged or taught to believe anything.

The essence of Buddhism is to understand the origin of suffering, and the cessation of suffering.
    thus enlightenment could in this instance be considered the Idol.
    given that most Christians don't have a clue about enlightenment, this is a completely fatuous statement.
    What Christians believe about Buddhism being idolatry, is that they are under the impression we revere the Buddha as a god. Which is rubbish.
    But christianity itself is idolatry, they just believe that there idol is the only true idol.
    :rolleyes: ...Quite.....
    A Christian is encouraged to Spread the word and proselytise.
    A Buddhist isn't.
    So some Christians will be very "in-your-face" about it.
    Buddhists aren't.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    nickjohnston1,

Your posts are presenting a lot of misinformation.
    the essence of buddhism is to believe in enlightenment above all else.

The essence of Buddhism is to know the truth of dukkha and find internal, unconditioned peace and happiness. There is nothing to believe in. You're speaking of Enlightenment as if it's some mythical, mystical thing/objective/place.
    thus enlightenment could in this instance be considered the Idol.

How so?

Calling it an idol, in any event, when speaking to those with a Christian background, is very misleading.
    first, one should understand that enlightenment is not knowledge, but is actually the thirst for knowledge.

The Buddha never spoke of "enlightenment." That's just a common translation of Nibbana. Nibbana is the cooling of the fires of greed, aversion, and delusion. It is unconditioned peace and true happiness.
    secondly, meditation is as productive as one wants it to be. you can do anything you want, meditation is simply taking the time to concentrate on that want.

What...?

_Tim_,

Rebirth means different things to different Buddhists. Generally the metaphor of a flame is used... one candle lights another. It's neither the same flame nor a different flame. What this metaphorical flame is has been described as a life energy, mind, our kammic streams... like I said, different Buddhists will tell you different things.

But some Buddhists take rebirth doctrine to be a mundane teaching of morality. The Buddha stated he taught only dukkha and freedom from dukkha, and rebirth teachings aren't really relevant to this. So not all Buddhists believe in rebirth.