Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comic Book People here?

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited March 2010 in General Banter
Hi all,

I own and operate a comic book shop these days. I was wondering there were any readers here. If so tell me what you are currently reading.

Here is my list.

Siege
Siege Embedded
Captain America
Punisher
Punishermax
Predator
Aliens
Robocop
Aliens vs Predator Three World War
X-Factor
Hulk
Incredible Hulk
Fall of the Hulks
Transformers
Transformers Wreckers
Bumblebee
Uncanny X-Men

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2010
    They still make X-Factor?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yeah they started it back up a couple years ago. Issue 201 just came out and it's awesome. Peter David is writing it. They are a private investigator agency now. It's Multiple Man and Strong Guy running it. Shatterstar and Longshot are in it, too. Shatterstar just fought the Thing and handed him his ass. LOL
  • edited February 2010
    I'm an ex-comic book guy..at this point I love the vintage stuff. I'll go through periods where I'll seek out and buy a couple of really old books; last go-round I picked up a VG copy of Fantastic Four #2 (early 60's), as well as a couple from the early '40's, Action Comics #26 and Marvel Mystery Comics #34.

I grew up in the days of the Claremont/Byrne X-men, etc..those late '70's and early '80's Marvel books are still neat to look at. :)
    edited February 2010
    That's groovy. Claremont did X-Men again about ten years ago. I have an X-Men #4 and an Ironfist #14. They are the two books I won't ever sell. I just got a copy of X-Men #50 for my daughter. It's the first full Lorna Dane (Polaris) story. I named my daughter Lorna after that book.
  • edited February 2010
    That's very cool..yeah, I seem to remember that she got mislabeled "The Daughter of Magneto!", or whatever in one of those early X-Men.

I guess my "never sell" book is Avengers #6, which I have a near-mint copy of. I bought it in the 5th grade for something like $15. It's worth a few hundred bucks now, but has sentimental value.
    edited February 2010
    Yes she was mislabeled as the Daughter of Magneto.

If you had that Avengers graded you would probably get around a thousand for it. But I know how it is for those old books. My mom bought me those two that I keep.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi CI

Unfortunately I don't read many comic books these days but just wanted to chirp in to say yeah CBs are cool yo :D I used to like Asterix and Garfield etc (I was young ahem)

Best,

Abu
    edited February 2010
    What in the world is Asterix?
    edited February 2010
    lol

I still see it in bookstores where I am at the moment (in Europe)

Know this one ?

asterix2bysmokey41pm6.jpg
    edited February 2010
    NO but it looks like a comic strip. There is a big difference between comic books and comic strips. Comic books are drawn stories in a soap opera form. Comic strips are meant to be funny.
    edited February 2010
    OK I think I know what you mean (I think :D) Yes they are funny, whatever category they are :) Merci for the tips, CI !
    edited February 2010
    Anytime. I wouldn't want you to get beat up by walking into a comic book shop and asking the wrong questions. Those geeks can be mean. LOL
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Asterix is an old European favourite and there are several dozen books out there. Not quite comic book, not quite graphic novel, full of latin and innuendo. For a more modern parallel the humour and cultural references are a lot like Usagi Yojimbo but set in Gaul in 55BC rather than C17th Japan.

As for me, I read UY and 2000AD but I never really got all that superhero stuff. When it comes to the wider graphic storytelling genre I love anything by Goseki & Kojima (Lone Wolf & Cub, Samurai Executioner etc.) and Osamu Tezuka's epic Buddha series. Compared to real-life inspired stuff, Spiderman and his ilk are a bit disappointing.
    edited February 2010
    Ever read anything by Garth Ennis?
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I quite liked Preacher, different from the majority of stuff I was used to at the time but on the whole I am not really into the apocalyptic stuff that he writes. The only series I really enjoyed in that kind of vein was Alan Moore's Promethea.
    edited February 2010
    Preacher is my favorite comic series of all time. I also love his Chronicles of Wormwood is great also. Did you read Pride and Joy?
  • edited February 2010
    I more into grahpic novels than comic books. The last comic book I eve thought of buying was based on the video game Mass Effect...
    edited February 2010
    Issue 2 of Mass Effect just came out. I haven't read it. Graphic Novels are comic books. LOL
  • edited February 2010
    Hi CI

Unfortunately I don't read many comic books these days but just wanted to chirp in to say yeah CBs are cool yo :D I used to like Asterix and Garfield etc (I was young ahem)

Best,

Abu

Oh Yeah!!!! Asterix and Obelix!!! I loooooved them when I was young. I remember eagerly waiting for the next comic book to come out (and yes, it is a comic book, not a comic strip) so I could read the next amazing adventure. Hehe those Romans are crazy (and I think they still are today)! Oh well, i have to go off and have some wild boar now...
  • edited February 2010
    Oh oh, now you've done it. All the memories are flooding back. I also used to read Thomson and Thompson (original French: Dupond et Dupont)!!! For some bizarre reason, I seem to have been attracted to French comics!
    edited February 2010
    I've never heard of any of these books.
  • edited February 2010
    Maybe they didn't sell them in America. They certainly did in Australia. And we are all the richer for being so blessed. The Asterix books were authored by Rene Goscinny and Albert Uderzo. I believe Albert was originally the artist and Rene was the author. Albert took over the writing when Rene died. You should get your hands on one and read it. I don't know if you'll like it coz it's not a classic superhero comic book but the characters are of course the heros with a lot of French witty comedy thrown in to boot. Check out Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix
    edited February 2010
    I really enjoy the non superhero stuff the most. DC Vertigo puts out some of the best stuff, like Preacher, when it was going. I'm a big Ennis fan. He doesn't do much superhero stuff.
  • edited February 2010
    Oh... lol in that case I like Alan Moore and Neil Gaimon. The Girl Genius books are cool.
    edited February 2010
    I've never read any Gaiman. Alan Moore sometimes. He's hit and miss with me.
    edited February 2010
    Anytime. I wouldn't want you to get beat up by walking into a comic book shop and asking the wrong questions. Those geeks can be mean. LOL

Danke CI :cool:
    edited February 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Oh Yeah!!!! Asterix and Obelix!!! I loooooved them when I was young. I remember eagerly waiting for the next comic book to come out (and yes, it is a comic book, not a comic strip) so I could read the next amazing adventure. Hehe those Romans are crazy (and I think they still are today)! Oh well, i have to go off and have some wild boar now...

haha LMAO :lol:

I know what ya mean, V ;)

PS Long time no see !!! Hope you are well old friend :)
  • edited February 2010
    Hi.. i'm a newbie - this is my first post :)

Just wanted to share that our Dharma publishing house published the first ever (i think - and please let me know if i am wrong) Tsongkhapa comic book.

It really is quite beautifully done (if i may say so myself :)) Please click below for more info or contact me to let me know what you think.

http://kechara.com/kmp/publication_view.php?a=5&p=19 for more info.

cheers,
    Sharon
  • edited February 2010
    I'm reading spiderman right now..... I love marvel caracters and read cartoon caracters comics like dexter's lab,,,,
    edited February 2010
    Have you been reading Siege?
  • edited March 2010
    haha LMAO :lol:

I know what ya mean, V ;)

PS Long time no see !!! Hope you are well old friend :)

And a big hello to you! I've just been busy with home and work life so I haven't had much time to post.

Hope all is well with you!:)