Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Too many flavors of Buddhism

With so many schools and sects of Buddhism how does one make a choice?

Comments

• PaxPax
    edited February 2010
    Freudian wrote: »
    My limited understanding leads me to believe you study, meditate, study some more, and as you learn and process you will find a tradition that resonates with you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Took me nearly 20 years to make my mind up.
    I didn't really sweat it though.
    It's not a massive compunction. Nobody forces it, and you shouldn't feel compelled to make a choice if you don't feel like it....
  • edited February 2010
    i'm early in my exploration of Buddhist ideas but i have found it easy to find ideas etc that do and do not resonate and their association with different schools makes a choice easier. For example i am cautious about how intellectualism complexity and the evolution of thoughts can mask the spirit of a message so i am drawn to the practice focused zen tradition. don't be overwhelmed. trust your instincts on it (think that's what resonating means):rolleyes:
  • edited February 2010

Hi Freudian

I too have been wondering and it bothered me a lot for a few moments.

Then i directed my mind to let go of all schools and ideas.

And from that moment on cause & effect as it were led me closer to a certain school of Buddhism.

However, that doesn't mean i have to accept everything that is associated with that school.

Be well, friend.
  • edited February 2010

Familiarise yourself with Buddha's core teachings first and then later visit some of your nearest Buddhist centres for the different traditions. Chat to people, maybe go to a talk or two. Take your time - and investigate carefully. If something doesn't feel right, move on. Eventually you'll probably find a tradition that you feel comfortable with.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• edited February 2010
    Zen is the only one worth your time, you can disregard the rest.
  • edited February 2010
    ah, i'd say get an anthology of buddhism either at the bookstore or library that represents the various schools. zen is probably the most spontaneous. vajrayana is probably the most ritualistic. theravada is probably the most methodological. whatever color donkey you like best.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi appleorange

And by `your time` you mean `my time`, don't you?

;)
  • edited February 2010
    So...a hypothetical..let's take this guy I know about; we'll call him, oh, I don't know, "Ray".

Ray was raised attending a Methodist church, was baptized, confirmed, etc, and also had relatives that were of the Pentecostal persuasion; hellfire, damnation, speaking in tongues, etc.
    But let's say that Ray was an overly logical sort..by age 10 he had decided that, admirable as the organized Christian church can be in many ways, all of this talk about an old dude sitting up in the clouds just made no sense. He felt that there were issues with, for example:

1)Any idea about rebirth is wrong, yet being resurrected in Heaven is cool.
    2)The notion that horoscopes are the work of the Devil.
    3)The idea of a physical Devil.
    4)Literal interpretations of scriptures that have been through multiple translations, re-interpretations, etc.
    5)The whole deal with making "Leaps of Faith"

Okay, I'll do some compression here, lest this grow to be War and Peace. Ray becomes a seeker of sorts in high school, meets a guy who was acquainted with Sant Kirpal Singh while he was alive, learns about Ruhani Satsang and the Path of the Masters, which attempts to reconcile the teachings of The Buddha, Christ, Mohamed, and a number of other teachers. This seems more experiential and reasonable...but still doesn't quite jibe with Ray's sensibilities..

And then he slowly centers in on Buddhism over a 20-year period. He investigates various flavors of the Path, and begins a practice of his own...he especially likes this quote:
    Do not blindly believe what others say, even the Buddha. See for yourself what brings contentment, clarity, and peace. That is the path for you to follow.

Okay...except that he sees from forums and sangha experiences that many people are actually quite dogmatic about their Buddhism. Many answers to questions seem to be in the form of long sutta quotes, rather than from the individual's own experience. People even use the word "faith" here and there to talk about the teachings and the Buddha.

Let's say that Ray still doesn't go in for that sort of thing. He believes what he mindfully experiences. Does that automatically push him into a Zen category? Or are there other Theravada and Mahayana schools that are especially non-dogmatic?

Or has Ray just gotten the wrong idea from his readings? :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi, Ray (the real one),

Imho, Hypothetical Ray could just keep on keeping on.

I felt the same way as Hypothetical Ray. I decided I would just get as close as I possibly could to what the Buddha himself actually taught so I went to the Pali Canon. As I pared everything down I stumbled across a teaching by Ajahn Chah which was exactly the kind of teaching that I knew could get through to me. So I chose the Thai Forest Tradition as my 'school'. It was the closest thing I could find to what I was really looking for. Unfortunately, there are (cultural, I'm hoping...) differences between us (the role of women mostly) that I simply can't resolve so I have to leave them aside.

Can Hypothetical Ray leave aside the things he considers to be dogmatic and still learn from one (or some) of the traditions anyway?
  • edited February 2010
    Probably so, and thank you for the considered answer.

I really should ask an admin to change my user name to "Hypothetical Ray"..it's growing on me, and could be taken to have all sorts of anatman meaning. :p
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Probably so, and thank you for the considered answer.

I really should ask an admin to change my user name to "Hypothetical Ray"..it's growing on me, and could be taken to have all sorts of anatman meaning. :p
    Strangely, I like 'Hypothetical Ray' too. There's just something about it....:D
  • edited February 2010
    i hope your joking.
    or that this is supposed to be some kind of koan.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    As with anything you just get to know your options and make an educated guess :P
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Just start with something. I started trying to teach myself meditation out of a book. I'd read guided meditations into a tape and then play it back and try and follow it.

Then I took a ten day Vipassana meditation course. Complete immersion for ten days of silence.

I did Vipassana(Theravadin) meditation retreats for about five years, length of time, a few days to a couple of months.

I had guides too. Teachers I felt some confidence in.

Now my path of Buddhist practice has changed a number of times but each time it did I took the previous experience with me and it has always been positive.
  • edited February 2010
    thecap wrote: »
    Hi appleorange

And by `your time` you mean `my time`, don't you?

;)

What is time?
  • edited February 2010
    Max H wrote: »
    What is time?

A goat in western Slovakia.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited February 2010
    That's probably the least important thing for you to worry about right now. Regular meditation, understanding the Noble Truths, and mindfulness of the Eightfold Path should be plenty to chew on until you start discovering more. :) It took me 4-5 years to get from "becoming Buddhist" to identifying that I was most interested in Soto Zen practices.
    Oh hush. If you think you've figured it all out then you're not really practicing Zen, now are you? :p
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Okay...except that he sees from forums and sangha experiences that many people are actually quite dogmatic about their Buddhism. Many answers to questions seem to be in the form of long sutta quotes, rather than from the individual's own experience. People even use the word "faith" here and there to talk about the teachings and the Buddha.

Let's say that Ray still doesn't go in for that sort of thing. He believes what he mindfully experiences. Does that automatically push him into a Zen category? Or are there other Theravada and Mahayana schools that are especially non-dogmatic?

As Brigid mentioned, the Forest Thai Tradition is really great and Ajahn Chah reminds me of a Zen teacher from time to time. Beyond that, while I can understand why sutra/sutta quotes can be a turn off, they are very methodical and have the benefit of helping the mind digest things properly. Now, they probably aren't what you need right now, and perhaps they never will be, but if you ever decide to take the time to reflect on them, you might find them to be eye-opening.

Anyway, take care and good luck with your practice.

_/\_
  • edited March 2010
    If I came across as suggesting that the suttas are useless, then I apologize; that most certainly was not my intent.

I accept them as a guide..but not as something that can be literally interpreted to answer every question. This is a trap that all religions seem to fall into, one way or another.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited March 2010

Trust your gut, explore, try, be patient, be determined, persevere. Practice.
    edited March 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Familiarise yourself with Buddha's core teachings first and then later visit some of your nearest Buddhist centres for the different traditions. Chat to people, maybe go to a talk or two. Take your time - and investigate carefully. If something doesn't feel right, move on. Eventually you'll probably find a tradition that you feel comfortable with.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

Agree with Dazzle, but also keep in mind no place or teacher or centre is going to be perfect. Practice if it works, is going to rub you up the wrong way. The trick, or luck of it, is to have a practice that works with the fireworks or boredom. Keep that in mind. Best wishes.
    edited March 2010
    Luang Por Chah:

First you understand the Dhamma with your thoughts. If you begin to understand it, you will practice it. And if you practice it, you will begin to see it. And when you see it, you are the Dhamma, and you have the joy of the Buddha.
  • edited March 2010
    "The most important thing is not to get trapped in what I see everywhere in the West, a "shopping mentality": shopping around from master to master, teaching to teaching, without any continuity or real, sustained dedication to any one discipline. Nearly all the great spiritual masters of all traditions agree that the essential thing is to master one way, one path to the truth, by following one tradition with all your heart and mind to the end of the spiritual journey, while remaining open and respectful towards the insights of all others.

The modern faddish idea that we can always keep all our options open and so never need commit ourselves to anything is one of the greatest and most dangerous delusions of our culture, and one of the ego's most effective ways of sabotaging our spiritual search."

From Sogyal Rinpoche's: Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

Source

Would any of you be so kind as to give me some insight on the quoted text? Somehow it doesn't feel right due to the contradiction I see...
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi Grain. Not too sure what you mean by contradiction in terms of the quote you gave. In fact I think that it is pretty sound advice, and what he has said is something that does exist a great deal these days.

People do tend to "shop around" from teacher to teacher, for example. Looking for more methods and so-forth is not always helpful. I do agree that for some it may take sometime to find their fit in terms of tradition, practice method and what not, but I think that once one has found it, it is good to focus on a particular method, go deeper into it and try to "see it through".
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm the contradition: Buddha suggests us being judgemental and pick whatever feels right for us. On the other hand, choosing a tradition and being committed to it means that you accept everything from it, right? What if someone wants to take pieces from the various traditions?
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Grain wrote: »
    Hmm the contradition: Buddha suggests us being judgemental and pick whatever feels right for us. On the other hand, choosing a tradition and being committed to it means that you accept everything from it, right? What if someone wants to take pieces from the various traditions?

Well, yes. One should certainly follow what feels right for them. There are many Dharma's, traditions, schools, etc., which are based on the different conditions and capacities of people. What is important to understand is that they all provide specific methods, and a specific path to reach the result. People are free to take whatever they wish from whichever tradition they wish. Depending on which tradition one practices with, some can be seen as a complete path in itself, and therefore it may be more helpful to stay the course.

My feeling is that this "mixed bag" approach may not always be helpful. There are certain subtleties of thought and approach between the different traditions, and even sometimes within a particular one. This form demonstrated that well, I think. But when we consider that "impermanence" can rear it's ugly head at any time, then sometimes it may be better to choose one or the other and go deeper. In view of that, jumping around from teacher to teacher, practice to practice, especially if one has found a good teacher and a good method may be wasting a lot of time. It is a long road, and sometimes it is best to keep moving towards the destination instead of getting sidetracked along the way and heading off in a different direction. You may never reach your destination that way.

As far as your original quote said, I do believe this phenomena exists greatly, especially in the West. In some traditions, for example, people will attend teachings from a good teacher, and then another will come along and they will run to them, and attend their teachings, and learn more practices. Kind of like the consumer mentality. I think with this mentality also comes the fact that people seek quick results, and if they don't get it, they better quickly try something else. Dharma doesn't usually work that way, though. It takes a great deal of effort and hard work and some time to see results.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    If you would like some advice from me. Rather than simply reading about the various schools, or listening to cd's etc. Try to what ever degree is possible to visit teachers in person. There are no quarantees. If you have already made your mind up about what the Dharma is all about and you just looking to have your views confirmed you are less likely to find what you are looking for than if you approach teachers and centres with open hands. If for example you have formed a conviction that all schools of Buddhism are the same basically, and then a teacher claims that theirs is the best, you may have to re-evaluate your expectations. It may only be resolvable at a deeper level that you will only find by sticking with one tradition. An analogy often used is that if you dig holes here and there in in attempt to find water you may frustrate your own efforts. Dig one hole and keep digging. Find a teacher that is good enough. Stick to that teachers instructions. Dont be tempted to teach others for the first 20 years or so.
    Good luck.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Citta wrote: »
    An analogy often used is that if you dig holes here and there in in attempt to find water you may frustrate your own efforts. Dig one hole and keep digging.
    Good luck.

Good analogy, Citta.

:)
    edited March 2010
    Grain wrote: »
    being committed to it means that you accept everything from it, right? What if someone wants to take pieces from the various traditions?
    I don't think it means accepting things on blind faith, but I do think it means having the humility to realize that you're probably not experienced enough to form your own dogma.
  • edited March 2010
    Thank you all three of you for your replies. I'm thinking that this "mentality shopping" phenomenon which occurs in western societies may not be due to superficiality but due to overinformation. We have access to such a great part of human knowledge (including religions, spiritualities and philosophies) that we can't help feeling overwhelmed. Plus, the more choices we have the more anxious we get about picking the right one and how can we be sure unless we try out every available option? And this is how we end up digging holes. :p
    edited March 2010
    I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. :)
  • edited March 2010
    is patience still a virtue?
  • edited March 2010
    armando wrote: »
    is patience still a virtue?
    It was last week. I think it still is.

With patience, great trees grow.
  • edited April 2010
    Just for the heck of it I went to beliefnet and took their "belief"/"personality" test and I figured I would be "new age" or some christian denomination due to my earlier programming as a child. To my surprise, barely knowing anything about Mahayana Buddhism, (except for what I've read which is very little so far), I scored 100% Mahayana Buddhist. It was pretty reassuring that I am going the right way, although the test doesn't really hit on every possible viewpoint for their questions, they do a pretty good job overall.:rolleyes:
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited May 2010
    patomin wrote: »
    Just for the heck of it I went to beliefnet and took their "belief"/"personality" test and I figured I would be "new age" or some christian denomination due to my earlier programming as a child. To my surprise, barely knowing anything about Mahayana Buddhism, (except for what I've read which is very little so far), I scored 100% Mahayana Buddhist. It was pretty reassuring that I am going the right way, although the test doesn't really hit on every possible viewpoint for their questions, they do a pretty good job overall.:rolleyes:
    Played around with this myself, and scored 100% on Therevada, 85% on Mahayana. Looks like I'm in the wrong school. I wonder how useful this little quiz really is.

Interestingly, I scored 95% on Unitarianism. I tried being a Unitarian for a while, but I found it to be too...unfocused I guess would be the right word. At the Unitarian church I attended there was a course called "Building Your Own Theology". Not that I want to be told what to believe, but I felt like I wanted to have a trail that had already been blazed, and not try to invent something myself that would be an uncertain path.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    patomin wrote: »
    I just took the quiz and got 100% Theravada, 99% Mahayana. :lol:
    I guess that would only give me a slight indication of which school to follow. :crazy:

If there had been a Thich Nhat Hanh based community in my area I would have certainly gone that route. However following an article in the Mindfullness bell where TNH suggested finding a sangha...even if it isn't a perfect sangha I went to a local Jodo Shinshu temple.

With some reading and talking I came to be able to accept Shin and have been practicing it for around 15 years now. I am still very into TNH and also interested in Theravada. (there is a Theravada monastery just a few miles from my town..I have met a talked with the head Monk....very nice fellow!)

I go through times of being VERY Shinshu, and times when I am more drawn to TNH or Therevada, but I am the secretary and pianist at the Shin Temple, and I love the people there...almost all elderly Japanese Canadians. They have come to rely on me greatly, so at least as long as that temple is there I will continue to serve them to the best of my ability.
    Unfortunately the temple membership is almost all over 70 years of age, and we get very few new members, so I suspect the temple may only exist for another 5 years or so.

Anyway, as a musician I sort of look at the different schools like different music. I like the Beatles, and classical music. My wife likes Dean Martin. Some of my students like Green day, others like Taylor Swift, and still others like death metal. Some of their tastes will change overtime, but they can only listen to what speaks to them at that time, and really one cannot say one music is better than another....it is just whatever inspires us.

Obviously it isn't a perfect metaphor, but the point is we will gravitate to that which inspires us. My journey actually started with Paramahansa Yogananda...today I would not find it credible, but it was necessary for me at that time.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Pre-Sectarian Buddhism would be best...if only we can find out what that means exactly. Good luck!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Death Metal = Asubha ?
    Beatles = Metta ?
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure what a pre-sectarian Buddhism would be either, but I actually like that the Dharma is expressed and practiced in different ways. It means there is something for everyone, and a way to present the Dharma in a way that everyone can relate too...even if it is a different way for me than for someone else. Much like the different styles of music.
    In fact I find my practice of Shin is strengthened by some Zen or Theravadan ideas.

I'm afraid I would make a lousy fundamentalist!:lol:
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I lean towards Zen, but I am still in the process of learning the basics first and I guess it will take time to make a choice. But I don't feel any pressure to hurry up and choose, luckily.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    hmmm... interesting...

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
    2. Theravada Buddhism (97%)
    3. Mahayana Buddhism (83%)
    4. Secular Humanism (74%)
    5. Taoism (73%)

Well, at times in my life I have identified as a Unitarian Universalist, a Buddhist, a Humanist and a Taoist, so it seems the belief-o-meter is pretty accurate...

Anyone who gets UU at the high end of their results is because it is just so completely vague... I quote from Wikipedia:
    Unitarian Universalism (UUism) is a religion characterized by support for a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning." Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth and by the belief that an individual's theology is a result of that search and not obedience to an authoritative requirement. Unitarian Universalists draw on many different theological sources and have a wide range of beliefs and practices.

Otherwise very interesting... I must investigate the two schools of Buddhism listed a bit more as I currently am just studying generalized Buddhism...

<table><tbody><tr><td></td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • edited May 2010
    I think we often take a negative view of the fact that there are so many Buddhist schools, but if you think about it that just makes it more accessible to a wider variety of personality types. If you only like Zen Buddhism, but Zen didn't exist.....

Anyway, it's worth doing a little digging to get to know the basics of each tradition and find one that you like. A little effort can pay off, and Buddhism asks for a lot more effort in practice so consider it par for the course. :)