Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tai Forest Tradition

edited April 2010 in Sanghas
*Thai Forest Tradition

Hello,

I'm 21, about to graduate from college. Im a dual citizen of canada and the u.s. I have no connections and nothing holding me back. I want to explore north america, and eventually find a place where I can live within a meditation community and study buddhism full-time.

Not sure where to begin looking for a buddhism home. I'm involved with the Shambhala center here in Montreal, and was considering checking out their large communities in nova scotia or maybe colorado. I've also considered visiting some monasteries associated with the thai forest tradition. I have a special affinity for the teachings of ajahn chah and his students such as ajahn sumedho, etc. I feel a strong sense of connection to that lineage, although I've never met anyone else who has even heard of it!

Whether or not I actually want to ordain as a buddhist monk or not is probably something that will take me a long time to decide. I suspect not. But it is important for me to find a place where I can comfortably practice meditation full-time with the support of a sangha and teacher.

Thanks for reading! (virtual) penny for your thoughts?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Our esteemed and respected member, Brigid, is a great follower of the Thai Forest tradition....
    I'm a relatively keen follower myself....
    Have a look at this link for more information on the Thai Forest Tradition, and available Monasteries/Sanghas in both Canada and the USA....
    Incidentally, I attend the Amaravati Monastery in the UK....
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    zenone wrote: »
    *Thai Forest Tradition

Hello,

I'm 21, about to graduate from college. Im a dual citizen of canada and the u.s. I have no connections and nothing holding me back. I want to explore north america, and eventually find a place where I can live within a meditation community and study buddhism full-time.

Not sure where to begin looking for a buddhism home. I'm involved with the Shambhala center here in Montreal, and was considering checking out their large communities in nova scotia or maybe colorado. I've also considered visiting some monasteries associated with the thai forest tradition. I have a special affinity for the teachings of ajahn chah and his students such as ajahn sumedho, etc. I feel a strong sense of connection to that lineage, although I've never met anyone else who has even heard of it!

Whether or not I actually want to ordain as a buddhist monk or not is probably something that will take me a long time to decide. I suspect not. But it is important for me to find a place where I can comfortably practice meditation full-time with the support of a sangha and teacher.

Thanks for reading! (virtual) penny for your thoughts?

Hello zenone !

I have been a long time follower of the Thai Forest and Zen schools, both have my respect and clearly, resonance.

Have you seen Luang Por's audio website: DhammaTalks

Blessings on your journey, dear one.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Abhayagiri Monastery sounds like a suitable place.

Simply contact the monastery and advise what you are seeking.

A video is here.

Best wishes

DD :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi, Zenone.

When I was studying Tibetan Buddhism a few years ago I was delighted to find out that Pema Chodron was the teacher in residence at Gampo Abbey on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, one of the most beautiful places in the country. Even though I don't follow the Tibetan tradition anymore I'd still very much like to visit Gampo Abbey one day.

When I finally decided to follow the Thai Forest Tradition after reading a teaching by Ajahn Chah I was not only delighted but amazed to find out that there was a Thai Forest monastery in Perth, Ontario, about an hour outside Ottawa. There are always people driving down to the monastery (which is called Tisarana) from Ottawa for Days of Mindfulness, teachings, meditation, and so on and Ottawa is just an hour and forty-five minutes by train from Montreal. Very handy. Ride sharing is very well organized through Tisarana and the Ottawa Buddhist Society.

Ajahn Sumedho is also visiting Tisarana this June and will be holding a one day retreat on June 12-13. There's still some room left if you'd like to sign up for it.

Here's a link to the Ottawa Buddhist Society:

Ottawa Buddhist Society

On the right hand side of the homepage for the OBS you'll find the heading 'Recent Announcements' and under that you'll find a link for the one day retreat Ajahn Sumedho's offering.

And here's a link to Tisarana monastery:

Tisarana monastery

Hope this helps!
  • edited February 2010
    penny for your thoughts?

Hi zenone,

I too am keen on the Thai Forest tradition - so I would advise that you definately further investigate in that direction. :)

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• edited February 2010
    Hi zenone,

I second Dhamma Dhatu's recommendation. Not only is it a good place to study, it's also a chance to hang out in the magnificent forests of Northern California and enjoy the great mediterranean climate, yummy!! :D:D
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Ajahn Viradhammo is in Perth Ontario, as is Ayya Medhanandi . They are real jewels.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yup. Ajahn Viradhammo is the abbot of Tisarana monastery and Ayya Medhanandi has just established a hermitage for women called Sati Saraniya. Both places are just outside Perth, Ont. in beautiful countryside.

It's my wish to stay with my parents and help out until they die and then move to Perth to be closer to the Buddhist community there. Perth is the place I want to live out the rest of my days.
    edited February 2010
    gassho2.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    Federica, Amaravati is the next closest place to me and I have been considering going. I live in London and I was thinking about attending for meditation class. I have no doubt I would be welcome should I attend but I always get a sense of trepidation going alone to a new place, especially an established group / community. Do you think it would be cool if I were just to arrive with little to no knowledge of being part of a sangha? I mean I have studied Buddhism for years now and read about their monastry as well (as the London Vihara nearer to me) but I still haven't managed to bring myself to face that (possibley imaginary) feeling of being a complete outsider and standing out like a sore thumb.
    What do you think?

Bless
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Friend

Go with trust and be 100% at ease.

Your concerns are natural but not warranted to the least.

Please kindly report back to us once you visit.

Visiting a Buddhist monastery, especially Thai Forest Tradition, is like returning to that home you had always knew you had but have not found yet.

With much metta

DD

:)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Consider yourself a very fortunate fellow to be able to take up an opportunity like this full-time. I would also definitely recommend the Thai forest tradition.

However, the life will be a bit harsh physically until you get used to it. I hope you know that in advance so you will not get fed up and give up on your mission. Be prepared for a bit of difficulty initially but the meditative experience will be extremely rewarding and even life changing (as per those who have done it). I wish I could do this too... Wish you all the best! :)
    edited April 2010
    Everyone is just speaking for themself of course (naturlich)...