Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A New Online Defilement?

edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I have been thinking lots about how things can get in terms of online communities. They are funny palces because they are like amplifuied societies, where peoples beliefs and efforts to defend their beliefs are much more excercised than in this mundane real world.

There was a show on telly recently where somone killed somone else after an ongoing fued in a Buddhist chatroom, actually, It might have been "World of Warcraft" rather than Buddhism:p But the point it, how can it get to that point, from an online, ongoing chat? Bonkers.

From a Buddhist perspective I think it is it is quite easy to see why. Egos become entwined in some issue/conflict and the more they struggle against each other the more the conflict, the Dukkha, grows. This feedback cycle continues without end, until something external ends it.

In the real world where we have real lives with vastly more important issues than the beliefs of people you will probably never even say hello to let alone meet. But online it seems differnt, as if a few words of ASCII text can represent somone's entire illusionary ego. And once the egos sees this of itself again it attarcts more mental attention, it grows because now it is out there, in public, in the primal gladiator pit of self versus others.

Why is this?

As Buddhists we try to break negative mental and moral states into their causes and principles so we can better irradiate them; this is a part of the dharmic practice. Since on-line communities have arisen there is at least one new, emergent, mental defilement, like greed or sloth or jealousy, but only available online. I am not sure of the Pali Translation but in English it comes out as something like "taking oneself way too seriously online."

Where as in the real world the root of suffering is ignorance, online it is not so much ignorance but "taking oneself way too seriously online." One might be the worlds biggest expert on something, yet still find are inflicted by "taking oneself way too seriously online."

Typically we can see the dependent origination of this online defilement in Karmic sequences such as:
  • You believe x
  • Someone online believes y.
  • Online, you discuss x and y, because you are interested in the discussion.
  • As you argue for x against their arguing for y, your viewpoint, from which you argue, starts to become your current Ego.
  • It becomes important to you, and more to your Ego, that they at least understand why you believe x and at least acknowledge your criticisms of y.
  • Ideally, if all goes well, you hope that they will end up believing x not y.
  • Charged by the debate, invested in the debate, you find yourself inflicted by "taking oneself way too seriously online"
  • All is Dukka:)

Incidentally, I have never suffered from this online defilement, I suffer from the karmically equivalent "not taking anyone else seriously online." That's a joke. I love you all:p

Well wishes

Mat

Comments

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited February 2010
    You left out the final bullet point...
    You then go and shoot the other person for believing y!

NOW your list is complete!! Hahahahaha!
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    There was a show on telly recently where somone killed somone else after an ongoing fued in a Buddhist chatroom, actually, It might have been "World of Warcraft" rather than Buddhism:p But the point it, how can it get to that point, from an online, ongoing chat? Bonkers.

Oh if it is a World of Warcraft thing it might be addiction related. Seriously, people get addicted to online games, they even have support groups these days.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    World of Warcraft

Enough said. Those people can get absolutely insane. In fact, the husband of a friend of my mom's literally lives on his computer playing that game and is so oblivious to real life that her ongoing affair in ANOTHER COUNTRY (OFFLINE!) goes unnoticed by him.

See, to them, that's absolute reality, that's their entire life.

Generally, people online distance themselves entirely. They actually encouraged him to instead. I think that's the bigger problem online - people forget that they're talking to other real, live people. I had to do a case study of a group of people of all ages online who watched a kid kill himself on his webcam. He told them he was going to do it, and not one of them tried to talk him out of it, or call the police.
  • edited February 2010
    See, to them, that's absolute reality, that's their entire life.

whole new realms of delusion the Buddha I guess couldn't have imagined (unless maybe they had the internet in the realms of his past lives?)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    My roomates are WoW addicts. There are few things on this planet that disgust me as much as that game. These people live in a world of dillusions and slothfullness. I have literally watched them sit for hours too lazy and addicted to their game to eat or see the sun. I could see them getting pretty upset with another gamer.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    To show you how out of it I am I don't even know what WoW is.:p
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    WoW is World of Warcraft. The multi-player continous role playing game.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.
    "They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. [...]

Her brother had to be treated for starvation and a genital infection. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking, investigators said.
  • edited February 2010
    :eek:...

I can't believe that any of this happened in real life, it's just too mad. How the hell could you place a game over your tiny children. It's just in a different league.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I play video games and I cannot imagine that news story. I think as long as there is some element of moderation you are ok. Some people watch tv. Some read. (some do internet forums :lol: )
  • edited February 2010
    Jamithicus wrote: »
    :eek:...

I can't believe that any of this happened in real life, it's just too mad. How the hell could you place a game over your tiny children. It's just in a different league.

Its called "taking oneself way too seriously online":p