Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comic's Writing Corina's Song

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited February 2010 in Arts & Writings
Corina's Song

.. ..

.. ..

He remembered her face. Her soft eyes staring at him with their brown pushing through his soul. He knew she was the one. Maybe in a different life they could have been together. But not in this one. This life gave him nothing but sorrow. He had tried so hard to be alright with his situation. He tried so hard to just push through the pain. But nothing ever worked.

He had been brought here in the year 2028. Earth had started colonizing the moon. The problem is that only criminals were sent there. And yes he was a criminal. He was the worst kind. He had killed a family of three. Everyday since he has felt nothing but sorrow and remorse for what he had done. He knew he deserved to be here on the moon. He deserved to spend his days working on the surface. There was no escape, except when he looked into her eyes. She was his salvation.

"Get to work!" The guard hit him in the back as he daydreamed. His name was Stan. The poetic stillness of his mind was ripped back to reality as he fell to the ground. The moon's gravity was less than that of Earth so he fell a lot slower than he was used to. He turned his head as well as he could in his bulky space suit. The guard looked down at him with his club in hand. Stan could see the smile across his lips and his coffee strained teeth.

Stan looked back to the ground and stood up. He walked over to his shovel and proceeded to get back to work. The days seemed longer on the moon. It was too expensive for the government to send any digging equipment so all the inmates had to dig by hand. It was their job to build more and more structures on the moon for the normal population which was coming in the next fifteen years. Stan would be a middle aged man y then. He should have been enjoying life. Instead he was working a dead rock getting beaten by guards. But he had the vision of her. She kept him going. Only a little longer and he would be able to see her.

.. ..

.. ..

.. ..

.. ..

The lunch room was a set of torture. The men and women inmates were all in the same room but with a fence in between them. No one was allowed to talk through the fence or they were thrown in the hole. No one wanted that because it was on the moon's outer surface. It was a lonely place to be so everyone followed that one rule. Stan would watch her eat. Her long black hair and smooth features. She had dark glasses. He always wondered how her eyes really looked beyond his imagination. He didn't even know her name.

Stan didn't talk to anyone. He didn't have any friends. He always ate alone. He figured that way no one would ever notice him.

"Inmate 41328! Report to maintenance duty after lunch." That was Stan's number. His dream woman worked on maintenance. Today was the day he was going to talk to her. He had to be careful not to get caught.

After lunch he reported to his assignment. There she was working in the hallway. He knew he had to be quick when he talked to her. He knew he wouldn't be able to say much so he had to think of something good to say. That's when it hit him.

.. ..

He walked up to her. She was mopping the floor. The guard had his back turned watching some other inmates. Stan looked right at her. She turned, noticing his advance. This was it. "Hi. I can't stop staring at you. I think about you all the time. I think I'm in love with you." At that moment he realized he sounded like a crazy stalker. "I'm sorry." That was all he could get out as the guard turned. He immediately went back to mopping his floor. He could see her smiling out of the corner of his eye. He was in. He had done it. He hoped.

Later that night Stan slept well. He slept the sleep of a normal man. He slept like a man free with no worries. He had to talk to her again. He was assigned to maintenance for the next two weeks. He had to make his let his intentions be known as much as possible.

.. ..

.. ..

.. ..

The next day he was working and she kept looking at him and smiling. There wasn't much happiness or joy in this prison. There wasn't mean to be. But Stan and his woman were happy. Was she his woman? Was he just lying to himself? He didn't care. He was going to take what he could get.

She looked at him and while the guard wasn't looking she spoke. "I've noticed you, too. Sitting all alone at lunch. What is your name?"

He couldn't believe it. "Stan."

She smiled a rich full smile. "I'm Corina."

They both turned and got back to work. If the guard caught them talking there would be a big problem.

For the next week they both talked when they could. They smiled at each other all the time. Stan wanted to be closer to her. He knew he loved her. He didn't know why but he did. He hoped she loved him, too.

One day while they were working the guards grabbed them both and took them to a holding area. The warden appeared to them. "It seems that you two have become quite the couple. You know that is a punishable offense. I'm going to have to put both of you in the hole."

Stan couldn't believe this. The guards had already brought out the space suits for the containment chambers out on the surface. This was horrible. He said, "Please sir. It's not her fault. Please just take me." Corina looked at him with tears in her eyes.

The warden turned to him. His eyes were like cold steel. "You both go. There is nothing I can do about it. If I let you two get away with it I'll have to let everyone get away with it. I can't have that."

At that point Stan felt a rage inside him that he hadn't felt in many years. The last time he felt his kind of rage was when he killed that family. He lunged for the warden, grabbing him by the throat. He squeezed as hard as he could. The guards grabbed him to pull him off. Corina lunged for them, screaming. "Get off of him! He's just protecting me!" More guards rushed in pulling both inmates off and throwing them to the ground.

The warden stood up and angrily looked at the two. "They want to be together! Fine! Let them be together! Put those suit onto them!" The guards put the space suits on the two lovers.

The doors opened and the two were ushered out into the vacuum of the moon's surface. The guards walked them out about two miles. The two noticed that something was wrong. Then, without any warning, the guards turned and left them.

Corina looked at Stan. "Where are they going?"

"They are just leaving us. I can't believe they are just leaving us."

The tears streamed down Corina's face. She knew this was the end. The only thing that made her feel better was that she was with Stan. She turned and looked into his eyes. He was crying also. She held him. The space suit was so bulky and she couldn't feel him. But she knew he was there, crying in her arms. The reality of death was setting in.

Stan finally looked up at her and he said, "I'm so sorry for what has happened. I never wanted to hurt you."

"You never hurt me Stan. Let's face it. That prison was no life for either one of us. We were just existing. Everyday I was sad and depressed. I just wanted to die anyway. You gave me hope. I would rather die out here with you than live another day in that hellhole."

Stan looked into her eyes and smiled. The tears were still streaming but he knew he had found the one he loved. The oxygen was getting low. The two had lain down to conserve energy. They held each other, not saying another word until the oxygen ran out.

Two souls converge over the seas of time and waves of space. Neither one ever seeing the other but knowing where it needs to go. Our hearts shine when we least expect it and a tear can mean more than sadness.