Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need help with some questions :)

jmann314jmann314 New
edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,

I need someone to help me with an interview I have to conduct for school with a Buddhist. I don't know any Buddhist's personally so I was thinking someone here could answer my questions?

The questions are as follows (answers of about 2/3 sentences would be greatly appreciated);

1. What do you believe about your God(s)?

2. What do you think are the most important characteristics of religion (religion in general, not just Buddhism)?

3. In what ways does religion provide meaning and purpose for you?

4. Do you see religious action or practice as an important aspect of being religious?

5. Please name the religious practices you engage in?

6. What encourages your faith? What gives you faith?

7. Do you use any objects (like Christians use the bible) when you pray?

8. How do you think Buddhism influences you lifestyle? (in terms of ethical choices).

9. Which (if any) sacred texts/scriptures are related to Buddhism?

10. Where did you learn the importance of religion (in general)?

<O:p
If any of the above questions are too personal then just don’t answer them.
Thank you to anyone who can help.
:)

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Hi

There are none.

2. What do you think are the most important characteristics of religion (religion in general, not just Buddhism)?

Faith dominating reason.

None.

4. Do you see religious action or practice as an important aspect of being religious?

Yes.

None

Reason and evidence.

No

8. How do you think Buddhism influences you lifestyle? (in terms of ethical choices).

Absolutly.

The Suttras. I don't consider them sacred, but variously profound, beautiful, confusing and dubious.

I dont think it is important, I thinks its importance is forced down upon us by the masculine hegemonies of the world and history.

Have fun!

Mat
  • edited February 2010

I do not believe in God.

Buddhism keeps mindful throughout my day, and by concentrating on the precepts and the Noble Eightfold Path, i feel it helps me lead a happier life.

Yes, meditation for me is, although not essential and it is quite difficult, is very important part of practising. Also in Buddhism every thing you do is part of your practice so it is very important.

Meditation and everyday life :D

Logic, reason and experience. By using the teachings of the Buddha in my everyday life you can see the positive effects, this strengthens my faith.

Not really, i also do not really pray, it is more of an affirmation in the mind. For example if i feel weak i would focus on an image of strength in my mind and focus on the skilfulness of being strong, which from experience has given me strength.

Very much so, a lot of the time, for me personally, you think about every action you do in turns of its consequences and your motivation. I analyse my actions a lot more which helps me to make more ethically sound decisions.

The Tripitaka, the 'three baskets' or groups of suttas, teachings given by the Buddha or his close disciples.

I felt i was missing something in my daily life (cliche sorry :lol:) and was questioning my actions a lot, i found Buddhism and i found that by trusting in what i read i began to become happier, so i carried on and read more.

Hope this helps.

Jackus
  • jmann314jmann314 New
    edited February 2010
    Thanks heaps to both of you :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi Jmann :) we seem to be geting a lot of these on this forum :lol:

Buddhism has no Gods, in the sense that, we do not worship any gods or diety. We follow the Buddha, who was an enlightened man, not a god. The path of Buddhism is to become a Buddha ourselves. The name "Buddha" means "one who is awake".

Loving kindness (metta), compassion (karuna) & charity (dana). These are traits found in many religions but rarely practiced enough in my honest opinion. This is why practice is very important in Buddhism and emphasized a lot. Meditation is also very important, but I don't think these things are only practiced in religions. Many people practice these things without having any religious affiliation.

Hmm, meaning and purpose. I'm not sure what you are asking here. Care to clarify?

Yes totally. Far too many religious people preach but don't practice. I think this is one of the many reasons why so many religions have fallen out of favour in the general public.

Meditation, prayer, chanting sutras, mantras. I am part of the tendai tradition. Here is a link to the practices I engage in; http://www.tendai.org/index.php?id=45

Buddhism is a practice, and like all practices, there are beneficial outcomes. The Buddha told us to test our path, see if it works. Over the years, as I have practiced, there have been many benefits. Because of this my faith in Buddhism has grown.
    Buddhism has made me a better person and other people have noticed.

I use Tendai litergy, some of which comes directly from the sutras, which are the buddhist equivalent of the bible, however, we do not view sutras as gospel, but rather teachings to learn from.

I am more aware of the suffering of animals, insects and people and so have changed my attitude to other people, changed my diet and shopping habbits (avoiding buying leather). I do my best to help other people and try not to loose my temper. But, of course, we are all human and make mistakes from time to time.

There a many religious scriptures and texts in Buddhism, much more so that in christianity. The Pali Canon has over 10,000 texts alone. Different schools of Buddhism have different texts. There are the suttas (Pali canon), sutras (mayahana canon) then there are also the vinaya (monastic codes) the commentaries as well as vajrayana texts.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "importance" of religion. Many aspects of religion are important, yes (see question 2) but I don't think these are limited to religion and certainly many non-religious people practice these things and are good people.

Hope that helps,

Nios. :)
  • jmann314jmann314 New
    edited February 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Hmm, meaning and purpose. I'm not sure what you are asking here. Care to clarify?

Ummmm... like why do you think religion is important and why you spend time doing/practicing it?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    jmann314 wrote: »
    Ummmm... like why do you think religion is important and why you spend time doing/practicing it?

I'm not sure if "religion" is important, but the practice certainly is. The practice that I get from Buddhism has a great positive impact on my life and those around me, and for that reason I continue to practice.

Nios. :)
  • jmann314jmann314 New
    edited February 2010
    Cool, thanks very much :)
  • edited February 2010
    jmann314 wrote: »
    Hi,

I need someone to help me with an interview I have to conduct for school with a Buddhist. I don't know any Buddhist's personally so I was thinking someone here could answer my questions?

The questions are as follows (answers of about 2/3 sentences would be greatly appreciated);

These questions strongly indicate a Christian point of view and composed in conformity to that view. They, therefore, are not appropriately addressed to those training in the Buddhadharma. I recommend, if you want to know what a 'Buddhist' thinks about their path, that you simply ask them. Questions about God, Prayer, Religion, etc. are rather meaningless to that path.

Whether one believes or not is personal and not really part of the Buddhist path.

Comfort (this is also a personal response, not Buddhist Doctrine)

Ethical Discipline (again, personal response, not Buddhist Doctrine)

what's religious action? I understand ethical conduct. Is that what you mean? (Not Buddhist Doctrine)

Ethical discipline/conduct. (Not Buddhist Doctrine)

Verification of information through contemplation/meditation leads to 'Confidence.' This is the Buddhist equivalent of 'Faith'. (Not Buddhist Doctrine)

Prayer is used in Buddhism as a way to associate with and cultivate beneficial characteristics, objects may be used for this purpose. (Not Buddhist Doctrine)

Clear awareness, understanding of stuff; including ethics. Confidence in practice and powerful habituation to ethical discipline/conduct. (Not Buddhist Doctrine)

Too many to list! I imagine a good source for uninitiated westerners is Thich Nhat Hanh's 'The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings'

Through Buddhist training. (hearing, contemplating, and meditating with the concept of religion)

If any of the above questions are too personal then just don’t answer them.
    Thank you to anyone who can help.
    :)
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    1. What do you believe about your God?

Buddhists do not believe in a creator God. Some buddhist traditions have meditational deities--visual representations of qualities that we aim to bring forth in our daily lives. Meditational deities are not Gods.

2. What do you think is the most important characteristics of religion in general?

Bringing forth positive qualities and eliminating or lessening negative ones.

3. In what ways does religion provide meaning for you?

It offers profound methods that open the heart and clear the mind.

There is a structure to my meditation practice that includes prayers of aspiration, setting motivation and dedicating merit.

5. Please name the religous practices you engage in.

Prayer, contemplation, meditation, ritual and chanting. There is a whole lot more to it than that.

6. What encourages or gives you faith?

Seeing the heart and mind open and positive qualities develop from the practice. Seeing examples of people who are worthy of following who have love, compassion, joy and equanimity.

7. Do you use any objects like Christians use the bible?

Yes. I study texts and use them for contemplation and meditation. My daily practice often has a form to it when I do sadhana practice. There are musical instruments that I use in my practice.

8. How does Buddhism influence your lifestyle in terms of ethical choices?

I follow conduct precepts--like not killing, aiming to be harmless and helpful to others.

9. Which, if any texts, scriptures are related to Buddhism?

The Buddha taught 84,000 different methods according to the minds of his disciples. They literally are too numerous to know and list.

10. Where did you learn the importance of religion in general?

As a young child I was taught in Catholic Church and school.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010

I would think that gods would be beings who would want to help me.

Supports someone to be a good person and to be happy

It provides a practical teaching to meat my already existing goals (see number 2)

yes

meditation, study, clarifying wishes, daily awareness, morality, reflection, sending and taking (tonglen), mind training (lojong)

Seeing the teachings actually work (see 2).

I don't personally pray

It convinces me that to do the right thing will bring a good result

many

personal experience working with buddhist teachings on my own and others suffering