Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happiness: We're all in it Together

edited February 2010 in Arts & Writings
Happiness: We're all In it Together

I first encountered this phrase through the wonderful movie Brazil. In Brazil, the hero is a person who is quite unhappy and his depression is due to the fact that he cannot pursue his dreams as he wants to, because of the constraints of society.

What I have begun to realize about this phrase is how simple, and how true it is. Think about it: Happiness: WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER.

Without group happiness, it's very difficult for one to find individual happiness. How can I be happy, if everyone else around me is suffering? I find this very difficult to comprehend and while I admit it is possible, it just seems more rational to conclude that without at least some group happiness, there is very little chance of individual happiness.

This applies to my own life very well. I find myself oftentimes upset, angry, jealous, and helplessly depressed, which seems to, in turn, make other people very unhappy, specifically my family. Not only that, but when my mind wanders onto those I care about, and I am concerned about their well being, it makes me very upset and worrisome. It's all very simple stuff, but it seems like I haven't realized them until very recently.

Now this is not to say that you cannot control your happiness because of the group. Quite the contrary. I would argue that the group cannot be happy unless you yourself are happy. And that comes through individual effort, not collective consciousness.

I do realize that I am using some vague terms here, but I hope my point was well taken. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I agree. Even as a child, when something made me unhappy, I had learned that to forceably smile...would within a moment or two, reset my mindframe to one that matched that smile...happiness. It somehow took away my sad feeling and gave me joy. I have been blessed to be a happy person in my life, no matter the setback(s) and smiling is the beginning of such. My smile rubs off on others around me, it's hard to get me down :)
    Of late though (I'm getting older,, lol) i have been a bit depressed for the first time in my life. It passes though, I can't stay down..it's weird...and a blessing too.
  • edited February 2010
    Has anyone else noticed how negative so many people are?

As I begin to face my own negative impulses, I am starting to open up to everybody's elses whom I had spent so long trying to block out. Its very sad. I often feel very helpless and alone.
  • edited February 2010

Happiness comes from within and is not dependent on what others are saying or doing. This is why, as well as studying Buddha's teachings, we need to meditate and also try to practice present moment mindfulness, rather than become deeply absorbed in many thoughts of self and other and how we would prefer life to be.

Even just 5 to 10 minutes Buddhist meditation twice daily is a good start.

Other than that of course it's always good if we can be friendly and kind to all other beings and help out if opportunities arise, without too many expectations.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle