Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Forum Addiction?

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited February 2010 in General Banter
The other night we had guests over for a long planned dinner party, but I kept coming upstairs to post some response to something-or-other. My partner noticed that I kept stepping out and came upstairs, "Man. you are addicted!". She said. Naw No way. Then this past week I went to work at the studio and found myself at the coffee shop, posting. I actually spent the whole morning online rather than paint, and this is with deadlines looming, that bring in income. Last Tuesday I was supposed to Chant the Evening Bell with the Sangha. This is a new activity and requires practice, but some of this practice time was sacrificed to post online. The quality of Chanting sacrificed.

Is this addiction?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    You know :facepalm:

short term pleasure, long term suffering?

if so, change the approach a little?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    OMG I was just planning to write a thread on that sort of thing. I won't type much now because I leave in 20. If you feel guilty and can't stop than you have a problem. If you have to post, though, do it mindfully.
  • edited February 2010

Is this addiction?

The internet can be very addictive and a distraction from what's actually happening in our offline lives if we allow it to be - and that includes posting in Buddhist groups ! :)

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Is this addiction?

:D What do you say ? :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    :D What do you say ? :)

w...wi...will
    n..no....not
    re...re...repl....reply. :zombie:

YES yes dammit, now to go to that other thread, and get that perfidious Dhamma Dhatu !
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like forum addiction,Richard. I'm quite susceptible myself.

At least, if you get addicted, this forum has some wholesome aspects to it. I'm only recently weaning myself away from political forums where I used to argue politics. Nothing wholesome about that.
  • edited February 2010
    I think that I may be able to make you feel better, Richard. :)

I've been a member/moderator/admin at a car forum for 7-1/2 years, and have made a lot of online friends there. In that time I've posted...are you ready for this?... over 38,000 times. :o
  • edited February 2010
    I found the other day I was getting REALLY frustrated and panicky because our connection was down and I couldn't get on the net :screwy:.
    After taking a step back and calming down I realized I wasn't going to do anything important anyway, I just HAD to get online to see what is going on out there on the World-Wide-Web.
    Maybe time to give it a rest for a while...... :eek2:
    edited February 2010
    w...wi...will
    n..no....not
    re...re...repl....reply. :zombie:

:grin: :wavey:
    YES yes dammit, now to go to that other thread, and get that perfidious Dhamma Dhatu !

lol :type::canflag:
    edited February 2010
    I think that I may be able to make you feel better, Richard. :)

I've been a member/moderator/admin at a car forum for 7-1/2 years, and have made a lot of online friends there. In that time I've posted...are you ready for this?... over 38,000 times. :o

:D
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I could name a lot worse addictions than posting in a virtual community and being caught up in that. Eventually things will inevitably slow down and you'll make any necessary adjustments (unless you really wanna live on skid row.).

On one hand, some people might say, "Get a life of your own!" But on the other hand, more thoughtful people would agree that it is better to speak out than remain silent in this naughty, naughty world.

Cheers, RH!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited February 2010
    As much as I always enjoy your posts Richard, I must tell the truth...

Yes, you are addicted!! :lol:

Now that you've labeled it, you can work on it!!!! :D

Les
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I would advise to exam the motive or intention for each post. Is it to continue an argument you are caught up in? Is it to share the dharma to benefit another? Is it to stimulate thought in your own wonderings about the dharma? Is it to sound good, chasing praise and blame?

Some of these are wholesome things and worth your time. Some of them will only make life harder for you.

The forum could be a way to practice dharmicly with attachment to beliefs, anger, and so forth. Or it could be a way to indulge and take steps backwards. In any case just seeing what you are doing is invaluable. And your practice happens wherever you are 'stuck'.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I would advise to exam the motive or intention for each post. Is it to continue an argument you are caught up in? Is it to share the dharma to benefit another? Is it to stimulate thought in your own wonderings about the dharma? Is it to sound good, chasing praise and blame?

Some of these are wholesome things and worth your time. Some of them will only make life harder for you.

The forum could be a way to practice dharmicly with attachment to beliefs, anger, and so forth. Or it could be a way to indulge and take steps backwards. In any case just seeing what you are doing is invaluable. And your practice happens wherever you are 'stuck'.
    I agree, Jeffrey.

And there are other reasons for spending time online, like avoiding our 'real' lives by spending time in our more controllable 'cyber' lives. So addiction to the internet can sometimes be a symptom of something bigger.

But in your case, Richard, I couldn't say. I guess only you know. I just hope your only course isn't to stop posting here! Not that I'm co-dependent or anything....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Richard, would this cover it.....?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I was hearing a Dharma Talk and the nun was talking about a prisoner who was about to get out, he also used to be an alcoholic and drug addict and he said something like this:

My biggest problem will be to stay away from drugs and alcohol, not so long ago I thought that was a major setback for me, but I don't think so anymore. I mean, I know that I am an addict. That won't ever change. I guess I decided I don't have the desire to be high or drunk anymore. For a while I said that I wouldnt drink or use it anymore, but I was just saying that because it's the logical thing to say, not because I really mean it. I have been sober for a few years now and the reasons I don't wanna do that anymore is partly because I drank to medicate my problems, problems that I no longer have, another thing is that I know if I start drinking I'll surely go back to prison. I have a lot of regret for the things I did in my life, but the things I regret the most are the things that never happened...wasted opportunities, the person that I could have been...I want to live life now. I can't do that with a vodka bottle in my hand.

The thing is, we all have our own kind of vodka bottle. Is the internet yours Richard? :-)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    federica wrote: »

......YES.
  • edited February 2010
    The thing is, we all have our own kind of vodka bottle.

We do?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    When I started on this forum years ago I got addicted to posting. I actually had to stop for a long time and I'd only come in once in a while for the last few years. Now I have no problem logging off. I go in spurts. You'll be fine. Just have admin lock you out for a while if you can't control it. When Batman was addicted to the Venom drug he locked himself in the batcave for a month to kick it. Alfred would give him food. All Batman did was train and go through withdrawals.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited February 2010
    We all need to ask ourselves, "What would Batman do?"
  • edited February 2010
    I wonder if I have this problem with forums in general. There must be a good 20+ which I visit fairly regularly now...

Definately going to have to tackle that at some point.
    The other night we had guests over for a long planned dinner party, but I kept coming upstairs to post some response to something-or-other. My partner noticed that I kept stepping out and came upstairs, "Man. you are addicted!". She said. Naw No way. Then this past week I went to work at the studio and found myself at the coffee shop, posting. I actually spent the whole morning online rather than paint, and this is with deadlines looming, that bring in income. Last Tuesday I was supposed to Chant the Evening Bell with the Sangha. This is a new activity and requires practice, but some of this practice time was sacrificed to post online. The quality of Chanting sacrificed.

Is this addiction?
  • edited February 2010
    I have the one car forum that I frequent, and I'm now perusing several Buddhist-oriented forums. I need to focus in on the one that I enjoy the most..too much time wasted trying to keep up with Vegetarian debates in 4 different forums! (forii? flora?)
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited February 2010
    federica wrote: »

Oh Fede... Thank you, thank you, thank you! We can always count on you for the best comment in any thread!!!

Les
    edited February 2010
    trying to keep up with Vegetarian debates in 4 different forums! (forii? flora?)

:lol: Buddhist forums will do that for ya!