Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ven. Thubten Chodron

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited August 2005 in Sanghas
Interesting...

I picked up the local paper today and saw a write up about an abbey that the Venerable Thubten Chodron has set up in my area. Buddhism seems to be popping up all over the place here. I was really surprised that the Ven.Thubten Chodron picked this area since her pursuit of Buddhism had led her all over the world.

I'm kind of interested, but I feel (right now) that Tibetan Buddhism is not for me.

But what a neat, local resource. I believe she gives talks in town quite a bit.

-bf

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Cool. Go check it out and see learn. That's what I would do.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I would, but....

Like I said, right now, I have a hard time with Tibetan Buddhism. I feel like there are too many myths, avatars, etc that Tibetan Buddhism is based upon (or spoken as being fact) for me to swallow right now. I've read some of the Venerable Thubten Chodron's work and I find myself sitting there going, "Huh!?!?!"

But, I think I will take a motorcycle ride, on a fine fall day, to check it out sometime.

-bf
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I'm not saying swallow it or believe. I am just saying go see what it's about. When I say learn I mean absorb something new. I find that when I learn about something that isn't for me a lot of times I find something that is useful anyway.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    If you are lucky, BuddhaFoot, there may be Tibetans there. Although I hesitate to generalise, all those whom I have met are really nice people.

And don't worry about all the flummery. Once I had stopped being annoyed with the Catholic Church, I found that I could really enjoy the theatre!

But, even if you are of a simpler mind, it is still useful to observe people who have been Buddhist since birth.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    She is very comical at times during her speech. She has a serene and calm appearance.
    I kinda like the materials from her website at : http://www.thubtenchodron.org/

Amazing lady.

cheers,