Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The delusion of happiness in advertisements.

edited July 2010 in General Banter
Being someone who doesn't watch television (no cable), doesn't listen to the radio and has ad-blocking on all my web browsers, I sometimes come across advertisements that make me want to shake my head.

We know (as Buddhists), that "stuff" doesn't bring us true happiness. You can be a millionaire and still want to kill yourself, so it's especially shameful to see companies who try to sell us happiness.

Case in point on the following slogans:

Coca-Cola: "Open Happiness"
Bingo (various organizations): "Happiness is yelling bingo!"
Esso (1964): "Happiness is a quick-starting car."
Lucky Strike (cigarettes): "Be happy, go Lucky."

You get the point....

The world we live in, or should I say the world we think we live in, reminds me of the Matrix. Fortunately, some of us are awake enough to see this deception that is corporate marketing.;)

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'm always amazed at the looks I get when I tell people I don't watch television (at all). I do listen to the radio, but it's only public radio with no commercials. I feel like I'm being assaulted by commercials when I do see or hear them. Their job is delusion, pure and simple. That's what they're there for.

Mtns
  • edited February 2010
    One of my best friends is a marketing professional; he's worked in the industry for over 10 years, has an MBA, etc, a very successful and intelligent fellow.

Yet talking to him, sometimes I feel like he can no longer see the difference between marketing hype and reality. If something/someone has sold themselves the best...then they are the best.

Speaking more generally, sometimes I feel like I'm speaking a different language from the folks that live for American Idol. In fairness, I do watch a limited number of TV shows..(I enjoy Caprica on SyFy :) ), but I DVR and always blip through commercials..they give me a headache. :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2010
    MindfulMe wrote: »

The world we live in, or should I say the world we think we live in, reminds me of the Matrix. Fortunately, some of us are awake enough to see this deception that is corporate marketing.;)

A bit pretentious, don't you think? If you think you're being "deceived" by corporate marketing, just don't buy it.

Just for the record, I don't watch TV either. My main media indulgence is country music and jazz music.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    What I notice more than just the blatent commercials is the subliminal advertising. Even movies have changed from a story to a series of advertissments. I was regrettably watching Couples Retreat with my GF and I felt as if the movie was a sandals commercial. Even the script revovled into the couples finding happiness by finally going to the sandals-like resort and abandoning the practice of self-reflection and dialogue.

I do not think that the writers have some grand design, they just need a way to maximize their profits. In order to avoid advertissing, one must avoid all media outlets. Since that is not very practical, I simply am more aware of the marketing techniques and then laugh at how ridiculous they are.
  • edited February 2010

But Lucky Strike really is mighty fine tobacco.:rolleyes:
  • edited July 2010
    Knight of Buddha : "A bit pretentious, don't you think? If you think you're being "deceived" by corporate marketing, just don't buy it."

Pretentious to be disgusted by advertising? It would be one thing if advertisements went something like this: "we have this new product. we think you'll like it. try it!"

but instead, advertisements use very deceptive means of manipulating people to buy their product. Using people's desire for sex (if you get this product, you will be more attractive to men/women), popularity (you will be cool if you have this product), etc. to make people buy their product is deceitful. What they are ultimately pushing is the idea that happiness lies right around the corner...if we only buy their product! This is the antithesis of buddhist philosophy and it is no wonder that someone one a buddhist message board would be critical of advertising. I'm kind of amazed that there is someone on here calling this criticism pretentious.

your idea of "well, just don't buy the product" is easy enough for an individual who can see through the manipulation. The problem is that advertising has a huge effect on the majority of the population. allowing manipulative, deceitful advertisement to persist has a huge negative affect on the well-being of the individuals of a society.

one example...fast "food"
    another example..."beauty" products

the list goes on and on.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have thoughts that it creates bad mentalities in children.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Being someone who doesn't watch television (no cable), doesn't listen to the radio and has ad-blocking on all my web browsers, I sometimes come across advertisements that make me want to shake my head.

;)

The advertising industry is very skilled at creating discontent, which leads to desire and craving. And of course to much suffering.;)

P
    edited July 2010
    Yeah... I think psychologists are being hired to achieve that purpose.
  • edited July 2010
    It's funny, I can still remember the theme songs to cartoons I watched as a kid. I'm almost thirty now.

I think television could be used for good, that is, for educational purposes. Something about the combination of both visual and auditory stimulus makes the content so easy to remember.

However, even the best TV shows, like PBS NOVA, only skim the surface of the topic they are presenting. I think TV producers are scared to present anything intellectually challenging. It's a real shame, we all could learn so much from TV; instead we get "entertainment".
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Yeah... I think psychologists are being hired to achieve that purpose.

They are. In fact, the person who is considered the founder of modern day pubic relations (marketing) was Sigmund Freud's nephew. He basically invented the modern day marketing that is in use today. With the help of his uncle's theories of course. Freud's daughter also had significant contributions. This is a very interesting documentary on the subject. The Century of the Self The whole thing is up on google video and free to watch.
    edited July 2010
    I've come across that documentary before, never saw it, friend recomended it.

Don't get me started on public relations... :mad:
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hello all!
    Here is a quote, I think applies to the discussion at hand, from a book I am reading right now. It's "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche, p.20-21:
    "Sometimes I think that the greatest achievement of modern culture is its brilliant selling of samsara and its barren distractions. Modern society seems to me a celebration of all the things that lead away from the truth, make truth hard to live for, and discourage people from even believing that it exists. And to think that all this springs from a civilization that claims to adore life, but actually starves it of any real meanining; that endlessly speaks of making people "happy," but in facts blocks their way to the source of real joy.
    This modern samsara feeds off an anxiety and depression that it fosters and trains us all in, and carefully nurtures with a consumer machine that needs to keep us greedy to keep going. Samsara is highly organized, vesatile and sophisticated; it assaults us from every angle with its propaganda, and creates an almost impregnable environment of addiction around us. The more we try to escape, the more we seem to fall into the traps it is so ingenious at setting for us. As the eighteenth-century Tibetan master Jimke Lingpa said: "Mesmerized by the sheer variety of preceptions, beings wander endlessly astray in samsara's vicious cycle."
    Obsessed, then, with false hope, dreams, and ambitions, which promise happiness but lead only to misery, we are like people crawling through an endless desert, dying of thirst. And all that this samsara holds out to us to drink is a cup of salt water, designed to make us even thirstier."
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    They are. In fact, the person who is considered the founder of modern day pubic relations (marketing) was Sigmund Freud's nephew. He basically invented the modern day marketing that is in use today. With the help of his uncle's theories of course. Freud's daughter also had significant contributions. This is a very interesting documentary on the subject. The Century of the Self The whole thing is up on google video and free to watch.

Thanks for sharing this, I have watched the first part and have found it very interesting so far. Amazing how easily persuaded we are to do things that are not only are unnecessary but even cause us harm.
  • edited July 2010
    " Modern society seems to me a celebration of all the things that lead away from the truth, make truth hard to live for, and discourage people from even believing that it exists. And to think that all this springs from a civilization that claims to adore life, but actually starves it of any real meanining; that endlessly speaks of making people "happy," but in facts blocks their way to the source of real joy.
    This modern samsara feeds off an anxiety and depression that it fosters and trains us all in, and carefully nurtures with a consumer machine that needs to keep us greedy to keep going. Samsara is highly organized, vesatile and sophisticated; it assaults us from every angle with its propaganda, and creates an almost impregnable environment of addiction around us. The more we try to escape, the more we seem to fall into the traps it is so ingenious at setting for us. "

Great quote! :)

From my experience, however; marketing can influence me because of an inner weakness I already had. In other words, marketing can exploit my weakness, but it isn't the cause of it. Even if I threw my TV out the window, the basic fear or grasping would still be there. If I could throw grasping out the window, so to speak, ads would lose their power forever.

Until that day, I agree, it's really good if we can be aware that the "solutions" ads are selling to us (if you buy this, you'll be happy) often only exacerbates the problems.
  • edited July 2010
    pearl wrote: »
    I think television could be used for good, that is, for educational purposes. Something about the combination of both visual and auditory stimulus makes the content so easy to remember.

You know, they say smell is tied to memory even stronger than are sight or hearing. Now I'm just waiting for the TV you can watch, listen to and sniff! :D
  • edited July 2010
    SMELL-O-VISION!!!! I have wanted it every time I've videotaped a good roast! :) We would just have to hope that real film makers would have good taste about when (not) to include the icky smells!

I, too, try to avoid commercials when possible, and when not possible I ignore them. Every once in a while I feel their pull... and sometimes I even get caught in them. It's just another area for daily practice :)
  • edited July 2010
    Charlie Brooker has some interesting things to say about advertising and television:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OJ17raqWw
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Zachaa wrote: »
    I, too, try to avoid commercials when possible, and when not possible I ignore them. Every once in a while I feel their pull... and sometimes I even get caught in them.

What irritates me is the jingles in adverts, those daft little songs that go round in your head.:crazy:

P
  • edited July 2010
    Ahhh yes. Well... for that there's always The Captain Picard Song and They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard. Fight fire with fire! These two never fail to take over my brain! Or find another annoying song meme to your specific tastes. :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Zachaa wrote: »
    SMELL-O-VISION!!!!

That's what dogs have at the end of their noses :) They can close their eyes and get just as good or better a picture of what's happening as they can with their eyes open. I've always called that "smell-o-vision for dogs" :)

Mtns
  • edited July 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    the person who is considered the founder of modern day pubic relations (marketing) was Sigmund Freud's nephew
    :lol:

Watching video now. Thanks for the pointer. :)
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Marketing =

making you unhappy by making you feel like you miss something or you're in need of something (often a partner, friends, expensive stuff, you can't get your toilet sparkling clean smelling like a field of flowers).

Then happiness is being offered.

Buy product A to fix problem B so you're becoming C (happy, having a clean toilet, having a relationship).

it's not nice...
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I studied graphic design at college and then completed my first year at university before leaving the course for Thailand. You literally get taught how to target people and exploit ideologies wants etc. I suddenly became all too aware of what the western world actually consisted of an it shock me. Advertising is not as simple as say for example, someone appearing happy whilst drinking a product, it goes way way deeper than this. Most people who know little about the subject also bring up subliminal advertising which is in fact a major misconception.
    Many years ago some bright spark started the ball rolling and realised they could make money selling a product to people they do not actually need. It has spiraled out of control in my opinion to the present day where you have to look a certain way to be accepted into society. You need to have certain things to fit in. It is truly disgusting and I am sure it has made many people become depressed as they buy into this image and it does not result in happiness.
    It may seem as if I am going over the top in stating people may and have become depressed, but it is true. Think of the young boy who is overweight and a bit chubby, or the girl who does not have the 'right look' They have done nothing wrong, that is who they are but they are made to feel bad daily due to this ideology that has been fed to the masses. CONSUMERISM, end of.. That's my rant over and done with :p

tom :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2010
    The fact that PBR is selling for $44 a bottle in China proves that advertising IS evil. You can polish a turd and it's still a turd, but you can put PBR in a fancy bottle and it's a "world-famous spirit"? 0.o
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited July 2010

We know (as Buddhists), that "stuff" doesn't bring us true happiness. You can be a millionaire and still want to kill yourself, so it's especially shameful to see companies who try to sell us happiness.

Case in point on the following slogans:

Coca-Cola: "Open Happiness"
    Bingo (various organizations): "Happiness is yelling bingo!"
    Esso (1964): "Happiness is a quick-starting car."

You get the point....

Meh. You know how they say, "Commercials are the soul of commerce.". So yes, they are selling delusions, but always think that commercials offer the postive side of things, covering the terrible bad side things have.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    The fact that PBR is selling for $44 a bottle in China proves that advertising IS evil. You can polish a turd and it's still a turd, but you can put PBR in a fancy bottle and it's a "world-famous spirit"? 0.o

HAH! this just made my night. ridiculous.

although, i do have to admit... in my opinion, i'd rather drink a PBR than a Tsingtao. just sayin.