Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation while travelling

BarraBarra soto zenniewandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
edited February 2010 in General Banter
Some years ago I went on an extended trip out of the country and wanted to keep up my daily meditation and wanted to take my meditation cushion, but its too bulky. I thought I'd be able to rig something up with bed cushions or whatever, but that didn't work.
I found a good solution - the travel zafu! These are available on line through http://www.stillsitting.com/sitting-on/travel-zafu-new.html - or you could make one. It is an inflatable beach ball in a cotton cover - and it really works! I took one on a recent trip to Guatemala. It packs totally flat and inflates quickly. Give it a try!

Comments

• edited February 2010
    i meditate while traveling everyday. i sit on the bus, i stand at the bus stop, i walk down the sidewalk. etc etc etc it's all meditation. we don't need devices to meditate. meditation is a disciplined state of being not a doing. we train to be contemplative/meditative.
  • edited February 2010
    Interesting device! Honestly, I usually just double over a pillow and use it in the hotel room. I can usually get some good samatha or vipassana time on the airplane, too.
  • edited February 2010
    I just sit down at a place and close my eyes and mediate for sometime. I don't understand the need of devices to meditate.