Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sources of authority.

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
what are the main sources of authority in buddhism

so far i have found:he buddha (enlightened one)
the precepts, noble truths,tipaka, etc what am i missing out

forgive my ignorance i am still trying to learn about this wonderful religion
T

Comments

• kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    The Three Jewels
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Now, now, Kinlee!

Truth is that 'authority' is not a particularly Buddhist concept, Hdonna. As everyone here will repeat, ad nauseam, the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything.

The study of Buddhism is an unending task, even if we stick to a single school or lineage. Buddhist thinkers are incorrigible communicators so that there are vast libraries full of sutras, treatises, commentaries, story books, e tutti quanti.

You will find many books recommended here, from many different slants. Because the truth is that Buddhism is not, nor has been for at least 2000 years, a monolithic body of belief. This, more than anything else, even the question of Supreme Being, sets it apart from Judaism, Christianity or Islam. And this can be quite difficult for the Western student who expects authoritative statements.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2005
    The three jewels are the buddha, the dhamma, and the sangha

the buddha - self explanatory
    the dhamma - the truth
    the sangha - the community of support (monks, laypeople, etc.)

There is no "authority" really, except perhaps the dhamma, which is intrinsically authoritative because it's just the truth.
    edited August 2005
    Perhaps the best place to start is not the Three Jewels but the Four Noble Truths, just as when the Wheel of Dharma was first turned. It isn't really until we have reflected on the Truths that the notion of Refuge in the Jewels begins to make sense.

At least, that has been my experience.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Simon,

A couple of things I think you forgot to mention....

1) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

2) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

3) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

4) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

5) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

6) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

7) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

8) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

9) the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything

ad nauseum...

-bf
    edited August 2005
    LOL
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Now, now, Kinlee!

Truth is that 'authority' is not a particularly Buddhist concept, Hdonna. As everyone here will repeat, ad nauseam, the Historical Buddha (Gautama) invited people to try things out for themselves rather than take his word for anything.

The study of Buddhism is an unending task, even if we stick to a single school or lineage. Buddhist thinkers are incorrigible communicators so that there are vast libraries full of sutras, treatises, commentaries, story books, e tutti quanti.

You will find many books recommended here, from many different slants. Because the truth is that Buddhism is not, nor has been for at least 2000 years, a monolithic body of belief. This, more than anything else, even the question of Supreme Being, sets it apart from Judaism, Christianity or Islam. And this can be quite difficult for the Western student who expects authoritative statements.

Thanks. I've learned something today.
    cheers,