Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sorry one more Mala question!

edited February 2010 in Meditation
I would like to ask
can you use the same Mala for more than one Mantra, i was always taught that you should only use a mala for one mantra and use a different one for enougher mantra
So in essence dont mix the malas and mantras!
I was intrested to know what other people do?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Sometimes I fidget with a rosewood mala I made myself, over 10 years ago. I used to take it (the object) quite seriously (i.e. the brahmin custom: clean hands, right hand, avoiding index finger) but now it's just a fidget toy to keep me from becoming distracted, and it helps me get to sleep.
  • edited February 2010
    Its an abacus on a string. I have two mala's - 1 rosewood mala, which is the one I use for all practices, and a bloodstone mala that I bought during a weak moment of attachment and spirituel materialism. The later is never used, but has been placed on the alter as an offering to the triple jewel.
    Overall, the mala is a tool for counting - nothing more

Much love

Allan
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Most malas can be used for different practices and there's no need to get a different mala for each. But if a question arises, you should ask your teacher.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Its an abacus on a string.

This point really seems to need to be emphasized.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    Most malas can be used for different practices and there's no need to get a different mala for each. But if a question arises, you should ask your teacher.
    Seconded.
  • edited February 2010
    The bodhiseed mala is universal. no need to worry about stuff like this.
    get a good mala that doesnt break easily and if it does you can restring yourself and get to work.
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer
    edited February 2010
    Sebastian wrote: »
    I would like to ask
    can you use the same Mala for more than one Mantra, i was always taught that you should only use a mala for one mantra and use a different one for enougher mantra
    So in essence dont mix the malas and mantras!
    I was intrested to know what other people do?

Huh, that's a new one to me. As others stated here, at least in East Asian Buddhism, a mala (onenju in Japanese) is effectively an abacus. There's many variations within Japan alone. In the case of Jodo Shinshu Pure Land Buddhism, it's not even used for counting, but rather draped over the hands as a symbol of oneness with Amitabha Buddha. Another group online, the Jodo Shu discussion group, has a nice page on how to count recitations of Amitabha's name using a double-ringed mala in that sect. I wrote a similar page here on the subject (inspired by the first).

Point is, lots of variations within Buddhism, and at the end of the day it's just an expedient tool.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I've never heard that either. You don't even need to use a mala. You can use a tally counter, or even grains of rice! Whatever.

Palzang