Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What kind of content?

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited October 2004 in NewBuddhist.com
What do we need to draw in traffic? In my experience at short-media, articles and features bring in new viewers far more than just having active forums.

Any ideas for articles or content that fit our site's mission?

What is our site's mission, anyways?

Comments

• edited September 2004
    I think that some articles would be a good way to get people to the site and to give them something they can read. If we could write up some articles that explain buddhism in a clear non-cryptic way I think that people would find that helpful. We could probably begin with just some of the basics and go from there.

Mission? Aren't missions those things that the spanish conquistadors put up all over california...? ;) I dunno... something involving helping those who are searching for answers to questions that they don't know how to answer yet.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2004
    They may not even know the questions yet! :lol:

It's funny how many people I've met online who have laid out their philosophy, only for me to read it and discover that, hey, they're buddhists and don't even know it :)
  • edited September 2004
    Haha yeah true, but you know what i mean....

Maybe thats the kind of thing we should try to gear our articles for then... I'm sure if someone read an article detailing a system of beliefs that just so happened to overlap with their own maybe it would help them to realize the plethora of others out there just like them
  • edited October 2004
    Brian wrote:
    They may not even know the questions yet! :lol:

It's funny how many people I've met online who have laid out their philosophy, only for me to read it and discover that, hey, they're buddhists and don't even know it :)

Chalk me up as one of them, isn't that right? Saw this site in your sig, thought I would check it out, personally I think having a series of articles on basic things having to do with buddhism would be helpful, because I really don't know anything at all about it other than what you told me in one of our long convos, personally content like that would interest me.
  • edited October 2004
    Perhaps we could have a little bit of comparison. There are a lot of people who are bombarded with religion (read nightly news) and may want to make sense out of it. Maybe we could break down not only Buddhism but other cultures/religions and how they compare and contrast with the path. I think we all know that there is a MASSIVE misconception out there that Buddah was a God and there fore would bring the wrath of any other diety if his teachings were subscribed to. I think the best thing that could be done for any visitor to this site would be to have all the myths and misunderstandings debunked so that they could persue their own pace of understanding of comfortability. I would be happy to contriubute, after a little research of my own, of course. I would say that I am a beginner to intermediate (mostly just litterary) on the path but, in just the first three to four hours of study, many things became clear that I had no understanding of.

Going back to my initial point, maybe traffic could be driven here based on search key words that reference many different types of religion, mythology, spirituallity, or even councelling web sites. To that extent, my wife's brother killed himself a few years ago after he realized that life is simply dukkha and he just gave up. He never went all the way to reach an understanding and acceptance. Maybe we can help people like him among others.
    BTW, very glad to see the site up and running!!!