Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does karma have limits?

The recent earthquake in Haiti caused a similar scale of destruction to the Asian tsunami of 2004. At that time, I remember that some Buddhists explained the tragedy in terms of karma. One explanation I heard was that because the population density of the affected area had increased, the density of bad karma had also increased to the point that it caused the disaster.
My understanding is that karma describes the law of cause and effect or, in other words, it states that actions have consequences. So, as a simple example, a person who is hostile to others will become the victim of other people’s hostility. To use a Christian expression, as you sow so shall you reap. Although this is simple in theory, in practice, because of our ignorance and our lack of insight, we can find it difficult to make the connection between our behaviour and its consequences, especially when there is a long period between our actions and the ultimate consequences. Because of this difficulty we may start to imagine connections that don’t actually exist and, in particular, we make two errors.<O:p></O:p>
Firstly, if karma is seen as punishment then there is be a tendency to link any misfortune to bad behaviour. But once a rational and automatic connection between actions and their specific consequences is lost then karma becomes superstition. It also raises a question about who or what is arranging the punishment. <O:p></O:p>
Secondly, because we have an ego we are egocentric, which means that we see everything with reference to ourselves so, for example, we imagine that a tsunami has something to do with our behaviour. Although Buddha described a universe in which everything is connected, karma is only relevant to human behaviour. In the case of the tsunami, the law of cause and effect still applies (the movement of molten rock in the Earth’s mantle caused the tectonic plates that make up the Earth’s crust to collide, which caused an earthquake, which in turn caused the tsunami), but this is confined to the physical world and it is oblivious to our existence and our karma.<O:p></O:p>
To get to the point, karma results in suffering, but not all our suffering is caused by karma. If we believe that we bring all our suffering onto ourselves then we unjustly add more suffering to our suffering. Sometimes we are just unlucky. We can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bad things happen to good people. <O:p></O:p>
I would be interested to hear what other people think about the influence of karma in our lives. <O:p></O:p>

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Kamma is inescapable, but it does not mean that it cannot be embraced. Then, it is both the route of release and life. This is called the route of practice.

Blessings to all. _/\_
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Karma is not really about cause and effect. (See the other two articles in the sidebar for more on karma.) Of course cause and effect plays a role, just like it does in every other relational phenomenon, but karma, as the term arises in Buddhist practice, is concerned with something much more specific which has nothing to do with tectonic spasms.
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you for your reply. Karma might be inescapable, but on its own it can't explain everything that happens in our lives. A person who accumulates a lot of good karma might die in an earthquake or in a plane crash. A person who has accumulated a lot of bad karma might win the National Lottery. So, there is also good luck and bad luck. There is some degree of randomness in the universe.
  • edited February 2010
    fivebells, thanks for the references. The idea that karma is more like a seed that develops into a flower rather than being a linear chain of cause and effects is interesting and gives me a new perspective. The third article is entitled 'Karma doesn't explain everything' and that is certainly something I agree with. As that article says, karma can be used to justify what is basically unjust, i.e. if you suffer then it must be a punishment for something you have done. I think it's best to avoid the word punishment when thinking about karma.
    P.S. I like the wolf in sheep's clothing photo (I'm not sure what you're trying to say about yourself though)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    i) A person who accumulates a lot of good karma might die in an earthquake or in a plane crash.
    ii)A person who has accumulated a lot of bad karma might win the National Lottery
    i) but this person who died suddenly might actually escaped from a great suffering if he was alive, and the due to his great positive karma he actually do not felt the great pain in that sudden dead , and moreover he likely to reborn in a far more positive land and condition than before
    ii) the person who have committed many negative karma who experiencing a sudden windfall, likelihood is preparing for that evil person an even longer in duration and far greater suffering than one could imagine . because the person negative karmic debt is so great and heavy, the normal natural warning starts to fail to warn this person , and the karmic weight drove this evil person to an extremely very difficult return path

In Mahayana there is this term as collective karma shared by a group of individual, or these group of similar karmic weight are pull together to experience sort of similar phenomena effect
  • edited March 2010
    hiya
    My understanding is that karma describes the law of cause and effect or, in other words, it states that actions have consequences.

As I understand it, actions have effects, consequences are interpretations of effects. This is true of mental/moral(karmic) correlates and less human causalities.

To use a Christian expression, as you sow so shall you reap.

That doesn't really work with Karma. karma isnt about merit and punishment, though later Buddhist schools certainly make it so. to Thai Buddhists Kama is like tokens that can be traded... quite peculiar.
    Firstly, if karma is seen as punishment then there is be a tendency to link any misfortune to bad behaviour. But once a rational and automatic connection between actions and their specific consequences is lost then karma becomes superstition. It also raises a question about who or what is arranging the punishment.

I agree:) Which is a flaw in the merit view of kama:)

karma is only relevant to human behaviour.

Well... you need be careful here. There is no distinction in buddhist ontology between human and non human. Karma is the same kind of casual system as billiard balls and quarks but its about the mental and moral systems rather than the "purely" physical.

Karma isnt majic. Its not "stuff" its just the many to many causal relationships and how they effect human experience in vast and intricate and subtle ways.

:)

Mat
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Karma simply means action with intention. The results of action with intention are called karma -vipaka, literally the "fruits" of actions. There is nothing strange or mystical or supernatural about this. There is no causal relationship between any intended action and an earthquake.
  • edited March 2010
    Citta wrote: »
    Karma simply means action with intention. The results of action with intention are called karma -vipaka, literally the "fruits" of actions. There is nothing strange or mystical or supernatural about this. There is no causal relationship between any intended action and an earthquake.

Hi Citta

I personally find the idea of "ripening" to be mysterious and missleading to me. It connotes this idea of our volitions leaving us to return as one somehow unified reprocussion, good or bad.

This view differs from the idea of the interconnected causal framework of our lives in a constant sense of feedback.

If I steel from you there will be many karmic payloads of that act. Some immediate and others down the line. Some direct, others indirect. I don't see that there is this singular consequence waiting to come and drop its unwholesome payload upon me:)

What do you think?

Mat
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    (I'm not sure what you're trying to say about yourself though)
    Oh, I'm bad. I'm very, very bad. I eat Buddha for breakfast.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited March 2010
    My understanind of 'karma ripening' is simply when the effects of an action/reaction unfold.

For example, I befriended someone who was untrustworthy, thinking my motivations as totally pure. I was betrayed. From my own ignorance, the karma later ripened.
  • edited March 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    My understanind of 'karma ripening' is simply when the effects of an action/reaction unfold.

For example, I befriended someone who was untrustworthy, thinking my motivations as totally pure. I was betrayed. From my own ignorance, the karma later ripened.

Maybe, if you are talking a bunch of grapes rather than one big melon as it often gets construed:)
    edited March 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    Maybe, if you are talking a bunch of grapes rather than one big melon as it often gets construed:)
    Huh? What is this grapes and melon analogy? Plant grape seeds and you grow grapes not melons.
  • edited March 2010
    Huh? What is this grapes and melon analogy?

I was thinking as I sent that "maybe that's a bit lame!":)

The idea is some may think that there will be a big singular vipaka wheras one just needs to look to DO to see how that cant be, it will me lots of little ripenings throughout our lives.

I guess sometimes those grapes can be as big as melons!

Mat
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking as I sent that "maybe that's a bit lame!":)

The idea is some may think that there will be a big singular vipaka wheras one just needs to look to DO to see how that cant be, it will me lots of little ripenings throughout our lives.

I guess sometimes those grapes can be as big as melons!

Mat
    Mat-

What is vipaka?

Never mind I just googled it.
  • edited March 2010
    Mat-

What is vipaka?

The mental/moral/spiritual payload of our actions, good or bad.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, I like that description better than the wiki one.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi Citta

I personally find the idea of "ripening" to be mysterious and missleading to me. It connotes this idea of our volitions leaving us to return as one somehow unified reprocussion, good or bad.

This view differs from the idea of the interconnected causal framework of our lives in a constant sense of feedback.

If I steel from you there will be many karmic payloads of that act. Some immediate and others down the line. Some direct, others indirect. I don't see that there is this singular consequence waiting to come and drop its unwholesome payload upon me:)

What do you think?
    I am indicating the meanings of the Pali/Sanskrit origins of the words.
    " Karma " means action. " Vipaka " means fruit or the result of ripening. Clearly the latter is a metaphor. The former just means action. We can spin all sorts of levels of meaning from those terms if we so wish. Or not.
    Of course there is no single one to one consequence of any action. Neither is the cocept of karma-vipaka intended to suggest some unescapable tally being kept by the abacus in the sky. Actions have consequences, we need to be aware and responsible. Thats all. And thats actually a lot.
    Mat
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Sorry I messed that reply up technically, but I think the gist is clear.
    edited March 2010
    So the ripening is this payload. Plant grape seeds, water and fertilize the seeds and you get a payload of new grapes.

You don't get melons from planting grape seeds. Take care in what you cultivate.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    My understanding of karma is of intention action and the results of that action (fruit or rippening). I have highlighted results because I do not see karma as an eye for an eye type deal. One action can have many results over a long period of time, and intention is key to this.
    The suttas use karma (kamma) as an explantion for why people are born a certain way on in a certain place.
    Is everything in life a result of karma?? I don't know. I have been told that it isn't.

Nios.
    edited March 2010
    An 'eye for an eye' is not about karma it's about retaliation. An eye for an eye is a Judeo-Christian-Muslim maxim on punishment.

Karma is not punishment and it doesn't involve sins.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    An 'eye for an eye' is not about karma it's about retaliation. An eye for an eye is a Judeo-Christian-Muslim maxim.

That's pretty much what I was trying to get at. :)
    Did you not read my post properly?
    edited March 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    That's pretty much what I was trying to get at. :)
    Gotcha. I had to re-read your post. Sorry. My bad. Call it an excellent example of karma ripening.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Gotcha. I had to re-read your post. Sorry. My bad.

No worries :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The Buddha actually cautioned against the idea ( prevalent in India during his lifetime ) that karma and karma -vipaka were some kind of mechanistic process that enabled us to deduce the particulars of someones " past birth" or actions. They are conceptual skillful means to make us more aware of the need to act with awareness and responsibility. Blaming ourselves or others in "previous lives" is hardly taking responsibilty.
  • edited March 2010
    hiya
    The suttas use karma (kamma) as an explantion for why people are born a certain way on in a certain place.

Isn't this really just the the Bramen/Hindu notion?

Mat
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The Buddha actually cautioned against the idea ( prevalent in India during his lifetime ) that karma and karma -vipaka were some kind of mechanistic process that enabled us to deduce the particulars of someones " past birth" or actions. They are conceptual skillful means to make us more aware of the need to act with awareness and responsibility. Blaming ourselves or others in "previous lives" is hardly taking responsibilty.

I'd like to second that. Great post and an important point :uphand:
    edited March 2010
    hiya

Mat
    What about the series of fourteen Dalai Lamas?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Yes it is Mat.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    What about the series of fourteen Dalai Lamas?
    Thats a cultural/political convention. Not even accpted as literal by large numbers of Vajrayana teachers. And completely irrelevant to non Vajrayana schools.
  • edited March 2010

Oh I like that:) Where is that from please? As in which sutta?
  • edited March 2010
    Yes it is Mat.

Ya. Another mystery for me and Buddhism:)
    edited March 2010
    Thats a cultural/political convention.
    No. There is a tradition of tulkus reincarnate lamas and bodhisattvas in Tibetan Buddhism that is spiritual, not just cultural or political.
    edited March 2010
    Thats a cultural/political convention. Not even accpted as literal by large numbers of Vajrayana teachers. And completely irrelevant to non Vajrayana schools.
    I disagree. I practice in the Nyingma school of Vajrayana Buddhism and know a few tulkus. There is the phenomena of conscious rebirth that occurs with highly realized Buddhist masters.

Here is one I've known personally:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagdud_Tulku_Rinpoche
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    hiya

Mat

It's possible. I know little of Hinduism, but from what I understand, their view of karma is slightly different to buddhists but there a few paralells.

Nios.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Oh I like that:) Where is that from please? As in which sutta?
    It occurs in a couple of suttas Mat, but i'll have to come back to you on which.
  • edited March 2010
    It's possible. I know little of Hinduism, but from what I understand, their view of karma is slightly different to buddhists but there a few paralells.

Nios.

OK, but as I understand it the differences are mystical not structural??

Mat
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010

Nios.

Well for a start Nios the Vedic ( Hindu ) view is that there is a soul ( atta) which is born into a new body . The Buddha taught that there was no atta...hence the "an atta" (no atta ) doctrine. Because they accept the atta doctrine Hindus tend to ascribe a clear one to one action and reaction nature to karma. You give someone a black eye, and so you are born with birthmark etc etc.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    OK, but as I understand it the differences are mystical not structural??

Mat

Not sure what you're asking there? Care to clarify in laymens terms? :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Well for a start Nios the Vedic ( Hindu ) view is that there is a soul ( atta) which is born into a new body . The Buddha taught that there was no atta...hence the "an atta" (no atta ) doctrine. Because they acceot the atta doctrine Hindus tend to ascribe a clear one to one action and reaction nature to karma. You give someone a black eye, and so you are born with birthmark etc etc.

Thank you Citta. :D I'm beginning to like you :lol:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thats going too far Nios.:D
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    :lol:
    edited March 2010
    Nonsense Citta-

We all have preferences; likes and dislikes....attachment and aversion.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The nonsense specifically sky dancer ?
  • edited March 2010
    Not sure what you're asking there? Care to clarify in laymens terms? :)

Yes, Karma in Buddhism is a structural framework that links causation with experience and experience with all aspects of reality.

in Hindusim, and some takes on buddhism, Karma has mystical accoutrements such as merit and punishment and, as cita pointed out, things like souls and deities.

So I wanted to know if structurally (as opposed to mystical) the Hindu take on Karma is different from the Buddhist take.

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Your reaction to Nios saying he's beginning to like you.

Supposed to be a joke.
  • edited March 2010

NOOOOOOO!

Please!

Lets not start bickering!

Keep our dogmas in de kennels!:)

PEACE
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I disagree. I practice in the Nyingma school of Vajrayana Buddhism and know a few tulkus. There is the phenomena of conscious rebirth that occurs with highly realized Buddhist masters.

Here is one I've known personally:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagdud_Tulku_Rinpoche

And I have practiced alongside quite a few Vajrayana students who do not accept the whole tulku concept skydancer. If it speaks to you, fine. Ironically my root teacher was very dubious about the tulku industry as he called it. I sometimes wonder what he would think of the fact that there are two rival tulkus of him!
    edited March 2010
    NOOOOOOO!

Please!

Lets not start bickering!

Keep our dogmas in de kennels!:)

PEACE
    Perfect example of karma ripening. I make a joke and it comes out all wrong.
    edited March 2010
    And I have practiced alongside quite a few Vajrayana students who do not accept the whole tulku concept skydancer. If it speaks to you, fine. Ironically my root teacher was very dubious about the tulku industry as he called it. I sometimes wonder what he would think of the fact that there are two rival tulkus of him!
    I tend to think of tulkus as emanations of spiritual qualities and positive intentions and not literally rebirths of the same man.

I have my own experience just like you do.

This is a perfect example of karma ripening. I make a statement and it starts an argument rather than clearing something up.