Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chotrul Duchen

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Today
Today (February 28, 2010) is Chotrul Duchen.

904.jpg

On one auspicious occasion, challenged by six heretical teachers, the Buddha and his retinue camped at an appointed place, where for 15 days he displayed a miracle every day, in order to bring an entire kingdom to the Dharma. The Buddha is said to have displayed himself as both fire and water simultaneously,to have caused water to appear in a previously dry well, to have tamed a rampaging elephant with one touch.
On that occasion, the Buddha's avowed intention was to increase the faith of his followers, then and in the future.
We call it a 10 million day because the virtue (or non-virtue) of your activities that day are said to be multiplied 10 million times by contemplating the life of the Buddha.
Palzang

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I've never heard that story! How wonderful!

Thanks, Palzang.

I love that glass Buddha too. It's beautiful!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Beautiful, isn't it? I'm not sure where the picture came from. I copied it from our temple's email about Chotrul Duchen. We just got a bunch of beautiful crystals from the big crystal show they have in Tucson every year, so maybe it's from that. Wouldn't that be something to have on your altar!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I could definitely practice meditation sitting in front of that!